Software view DNG files with camera profile on OS X

giuliomagnifico

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi, with the firmware 2.0 of Leica Q and the ability to shoot in DNG only, I need a software that is able to visualize the dng of my Leica Q but with the camera profile setting. Esample: I shoot in black and white, after I insert the SD card in my iMac and then I open Finder and I can see the DNG photos but not in black and white... I need a Leica software who can display the DNG files with camera profies, in order to select the best images and after I can import them in Lightroom. 

Other way to do that (view the dng in BW) is to shoot in dng+jpg but I prefer jpg, I don't need the jpg file. In example for my Nikon D800E I use ViewNX2...I need the same software for the Leica DNG!

Thanks!

The best thing to do in this regard is to import all the image files into Lightroom and do the selection/grading process there, then delete the ones you don't want. 

There's no downside to this as it gives you what you want to be able to review and make your picks, and then you recover the disk space by deleting what you don't need. 

Thanks, yes I'm doing in this way but I don't like it, because takes more time to delete the wrong photos than don't import them! It's a slow workflow, I don't like this way... Also because I don't delete all the photos from SD after imported, so the time after I need to select again the last photos in Lightroom (I can't do "import all" because this import also the old photos already rejected!) and then delete again the rejected photos. Also because I can't "add to quick collection" the photos and then delete them from there, I need to delete one by one... and the Lightroom preview in the import module shows a very low quality preview, I can't select them from the import module!

If I will not found a solution I'll keep with dng + jpg and I'll use the jpg as preview in BW that every image browser can open. But is incredible that don't exist a Leica app, or from other developers, able to read the Leica Q camera profiles applied to dng files!

Edited by giuliomagnifico

You seem to be making hard work of a simple task. This is what I do:

Import all pictures into Lightroom from the card, have LR copy the files

Review the pictures in LR, if the thumbnail is inadequate (it won't be for all shots) double click on the picture for loupe view

Flag with X those to be deleted.

When packing to go out next, put the card back in the camera and format it.

I can't see where your method has any extra utility.