DIY group?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

A curious question - would there be a place for a Do It Yourself (DIY) thread group?

One trivial subject is how to properly clear-coat a fully brassed Leica part. That is not a universally interesting subject, however 'How to adjust rangefinder' might be a big hit with existing posts merged. There are also many alternative devices regarding an assist in the RF adjustment and other issues;  there must be more interests including how one might replace a body cover... and more.

Pico

Edited by pico

• 2 weeks later...
I would defiantly be interested in this thread. Although I probably would not attempt the adjustments or repairs of my equipment myself. I am interested and fascinated, in the mechanics of my camera and lenses, much as I am interested in what my car mechanic does to my car....and the roofer, etc.

The more educated I am the more fun life is.

pico....I believe you .

A thread with step by step instructions with pictures.....would certainly give me confidence to learn  and perhaps preform simple housekeeping tasks.

I know there are plenty of members on this forum with the skill and knowledge...I sincerely hope this new thread takes off.

Without knowledge they are Black Arts.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

pico....I believe you .

A thread with step by step instructions with pictures.....would certainly give me confidence to learn  and perhaps preform simple housekeeping tasks.

I know there are plenty of members on this forum with the skill and knowledge...I sincerely hope this new thread takes off.

Without knowledge they are Black Arts.

There are *many* threads for RF adjustment. The best one I found, and used in adjusting my M9, is below. complete with pictures, graph, everything. BTW, My M240's RF adjustment is never been touched in more than year and half ownership.

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/118043-m9-coincidence-at-infinity/#post1297945

• 4 months later...

The  Leica Camera Repair handbook by Thomas Tomosy is a very helpful if contemplating CLAs / repairs to Leica cameras and lenses - but it's out of print and commands a premium price. You'll need to make /adapt the necessary tools as described in the book to dismantle your camera / lens. 

dunk 

Edited by dkCambridgeshire

It would be a good reference. I wanted to take apart my 1950s 9cm Elmar for cleaning after reading a thread with photos on how to do it. When I had the time to do it, I could never find that thread again! (I think it was on another site - maybe RF forum or photo.net)

It would be a good reference. I wanted to take apart my 1950s 9cm Elmar for cleaning after reading a thread with photos on how to do it. When I had the time to do it, I could never find that thread again! (I think it was on another site - maybe RF forum or photo.net)

Tomosy's book includes 9cm Elmar dismantling / servicing.

dunk 

• Like 1