Leica Q Firmware 2.1 Wishlist

Advertisement (gone after registration)

First post here on the forums, I've been traveling through Europe and Asia the last 4 months, with the Q as my primary camera (I also do wedding work with the Q) and here's my list for a firmware update:

- I want live view in manual mode

- The timer should not be reset after every picture

- Give us a user menu

- I want the fn, delete, movie button and the button in the middle of the arrows as function keys which I can change the function to by long pressing them (so no need for extra menu options)

- Focus menu should get a fix, so it's more logical

- Focus mode should be possible to be changed by a function key

- Add more touchscreen shortcuts and implementation

- Panorama should be better, it often fails

- OIS should be automatic in movie mode (or just give us more options for video)

- The info on the live view screen should be configurable (I don't care about the scene mode and a level gauge would be nice without all the other info)

- The arrows should still change the focus point in touch screen mode.

- Give us the option to change the ISO with the wheel, without having to press an other button.

- Custom name profiles please

- AE lock should be possible without holding down the button

- Manual video

- I don't get why leica bothered with so many scene modes and digital shutter sound!? You can delete those options I think.

That's all ;) Hope 90℅ of these improvements make it to firmware 3.0

• Like 2

The "user" system gives us four personalities for our Qs

(Leica, please let me name them!)

My "User 3" is like the M-D 262 -- pure simplicity, no LCD, direct access to Aperture, Shutter, ISO, and White Balance (via Fn) -- autofocus if desired.

Sorry if someone else already mentioned this: I went to the Leica store today and played with the Q. The thing that was a deal buster for me was that I could not turn off the LCD. My D Lux 109 has this feature and it is really essential for me. Do any of you know how to turn off the LCD. No one at the Leica store could do it.

Sorry if someone else already mentioned this: I went to the Leica store today and played with the Q. The thing that was a deal buster for me was that I could not turn off the LCD. My D Lux 109 has this feature and it is really essential for me. Do any of you know how to turn off the LCD. No one at the Leica store could do it.

So simple. Just select EVF in the Display menu. Turns off the LCD.

To me the most awaited feature would be a "favorites" menu like in the M10, which would show first when pressing the menu key.

If Leica do it for the next firmware I'll be very happy. This is a simple feature that would solve many ergonomics issues.

• Like 5

To me the most awaited feature would be a "favorites" menu like in the M10, which would show first when pressing the menu key.

If Leica do it for the next firmware I'll be very happy. This is a simple feature that would solve many ergonomics issues.

That would be a brilliant and most welcome feature.

Agreed. This and the option to turn off Noise Reduction are on top of my list.

• 1 month later...

I'm new to the Leica Q and this quaestion may have been answered...Can I turn off the LCD, yet manually preview an image by pushing the play button?

EVF - Extended may do what you want. Plus Auto Review to off if you dont want to see any previews after the shot.

I'm new to the Leica Q and this quaestion may have been answered...Can I turn off the LCD, yet manually preview an image by pushing the play button?

EVF - Extended may do what you want. Plus Auto Review to off if you dont want to see any previews after the shot.

Well in a sour grapes sort of way, I'm pleased to see that this thread is eventually drifting off-topic and away from the apparently futile call to Leica's clearly very deaf ears from their own customers very reasonable firmware requests.

It's not so much that there doesn't appear to be a firmware update on the horizon, it's more that Leica prefer not to respond, or to provide any kind of roadmap for feedback to the loyal followers who have invested a lot of money and also a lot of heart in their company and in their camera project.

Maybe it's time for us to give it up as a loss and to close this thread.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

For me, it would be for the live Histogram to show the correct exposure when fully in manual mode. At the moment the Histogram only displays the cameras 'auto-exposure' metering, and not the actual exposure you'll achieve with your manual Shutter, ISO & Aperture settings.

Currently the live Histogram is completely useless in manual mode.

• 1 month later...

I'm back from the future, having thought we were already at 2.1 firmware  :blink: Here's my wishlist for 2.1:

1. Option to provide viewfinder confirmation when infinity focus is reached in manual focus mode (infinity symbol appears in green in center or center point box flashes green twice – or there is a persistent infinity icon in one of the corners while at infinity focus)
  2. Option to have crop modes zoom the image to fill the viewfinder (mentioned)
  3. Option for center button of directional pad to return single-point focus to center point (default function of center button would then return until non-center point is selected)
  4. Option to have exposure compensation reset to zero when power is cycled
  5. Ability to take a dust-off reference photo

Infinity focus in theory should be easy to achieve manually by aligning the lens markings, but I'd prefer not to "focus-chimp" and take my eye off the image. Further, I don't want to worry if I've accidentally moved the lens off infinity when moving and taking several shots. I shoot a lot in low light (dusk), and aligning the infinity mark perfectly isn't always easy. And if you've ever noticed, even a slight mis-alignment can throw off perfect infinity focus (important when shooting at f1.7 to keep the ISO low). Hopefully the next Q will have a detent at infinity or they can engineer a hard stop at infinity once the lens is switched into manual focus mode.

Crop modes filling the viewfinder: while I appreciate the rangefinder roots and the "what's about to walk in to my scene" benefits of the current implementation, it would be helpful for composition to have the option to see a digitally-zoomed image instead. I don't think I'm the first person to ask for this.

For focus point selection: when I've made the center focus point as small as possible it becomes difficult (and tedious) in the field to ensure I've returned the focus point to the center. I'm surprised there is no way to recenter to the focus point without power-cycling the camera. If there is, please tell me!  :)

I don't understand the function of exposure compensation remaining persistent after power-cycling the camera. It's not like having physical scroll wheel on top that would give me a warning each time. I'd at least like to have the option to have exposure comp reset itself with each power on/off.

Sensor dust: Since there is no way for the user to clean the sensor without sending it in for service, the ability to take a Nikon-style "dust-off reference photo" would be great. I know the coding required for this may be too complex to be realistic for a firmware update, but I think the effort would be worth it – particularly if Leica wants to continue or expand the Q lineup and has no plans for adding pro-level weather sealing.

Edited by hdmesa

This is a very long thread on what "Q" owners thinks and wants from Leica...but either Leica thinks "Q" is near perfect and nothing better can be achieved by upgrading it or Leica is more busy with T, M, SL & S system.

(Hope I am wrong and they surprise us with Ver 2.1) 

I don't think a SW update is in the works. Usually there's some chatter on the forum by folks who are directly connected to Leica for testing. My guess, and it's purely a guess, is Leica is focused on other models. Perhaps a new Q although that seems premature to me. The Q is still a very popular camera. I wish Leica would take the attitude that Apple has where devices keep getting better through SW upgrades at least for a few years and until they're worn out. I love my Q. If nothing else is changed on it, I'll enjoy using it for many years.

• Like 1