Leica Q Firmware 2.1 Wishlist

We get given what we get given gentlemen in this life! A fact we must all accept!!

True in many cases, but at the same time, if you don't ask, you don't get.

I think in at least some cases, a feature may have been implemented, or at least explored to see if its feasible, by the developers and product mangers based upon feedback from the user base. 

Look at a simple feature like having DNG files only, instead of requiring JPEG+DNG.  A lot of users all said they'd like that ability and Leica said "sure thing, we can give you that option easily enough" and it was added to the FW2.0 update.  If everyone simply took a "this is the way it is, this is the way it always will be attitude" it likely would of never been changed.

Is there any point to the thread? I mean, is it going to get us anywhere?

It's been running for six months, 125 posts. It's had approaching – 9000 views – but so far as I know, not the slightest comment or even whisper from Leica.

Is this thread simply some kind of virtual wishing well where you throw your coins in and after that you can see them, but you can't get them back and you can't spend them and they don't do you any good.

Yes, I think that that is part of my complaint. I know that it is very traditional – maybe in the Leica sense – not to engage in discussions with customers, but I think it would be entirely more in keeping with Leica's digital journey and far more customer-facing to give us some idea of what is going on and in particular, when it might happen.

This discussion has involved many very sensible and serious photographers who have also invested in Leica equipment and I think that at the least it would be a courtesy for Leica to acknowledge some of the discussions going on here and also give people an idea as to whether any firmware was forthcoming and if so, when.

Edited by marcg
  • Like 1

Is there any point to the thread? I mean, is it going to get us anywhere?

It's been running for six months, 125 posts. It's had approaching – 9000 views – but so far as I know, not the slightest comment or even whisper from Leica.

Is this thread simply some kind of virtual wishing well where you throw your coins in and after that you can see them, but you can't get them back and you can't spend them and they don't do you any good.

Leica listened to most of our original complaints on the previous firmware. The release of that took almost 18 months. So don´t hold your breath for a quick turnaround. But I am a firm believer that somebody at Leica, or someone in relations with Leica are listening in on this thread and that they most certainly are taking notes.

• Like 2

I personally really would like an option to have the Filesize of the RAWs reduced ...

My M9 runs about 18MB 

the M240 I had around 24MB

My S 006 runs around 38MB

and my Q has a fixed 41.3 MB 

I'd love the File size to be similar to the 240 - or at least an option.

I know storage is cheap nowadays - but it's still a hassle and annoying. So far my only real gripe with the Q ...

• 2 weeks later...

Totally agree with Bart von H - the LCD should work for everything when not to the eye. And you look ridiculous trying to go through menus with the camera to your eye!

Please make the zoom button on the back work just for Focus lock and for focus only. I want to focus using half press, and lock (to recompose) with zoom-lock button, as I can with Nikons. Why is it inconsistent? With focus only lock, focus does not work at all unless the zoom lock button is pressed. With Ael/Afl lock, it 'pretends' to focus, stops (as if it has focussed) but remains out of focus, this is driving me mad! Sure I should just leave it in zoom, but I need to change many things as i am working...

User profiles need to be custom named - agree with 

roger_g_d

Nick

When configured for back button focus -- the "zoom" button -- ALWAYS use the back button for focus.  This gives you the most versatility.

1) Position the camera for proper focus and hit the back button -- that focuses and locks the focus

2) Position the camera for proper exposure and half press -- that locks exposure

3) Position the camera for desired framing and take the picture.

That is comfortable for me, possibly because it is the same way my DSLRs work.   Or you can use manual focus which totally eliminates the issue.

When configured for back button focus -- the "zoom" button -- ALWAYS use the back button for focus.  This gives you the most versatility.

1) Position the camera for proper focus and hit the back button -- that focuses and locks the focus

2) Position the camera for proper exposure and half press -- that locks exposure

3) Position the camera for desired framing and take the picture.

That is comfortable for me, possibly because it is the same way my DSLRs work.   Or you can use manual focus which totally eliminates the issue.

But it does not work the other way around to take the metering first and lock that and then lock the focus and compose. That is kind of annoying.

I just want the timer to stay on (for example, 2 seconds) once I activate it, and not reset itself back to OFF just because I turn the camera off briefly to conserve the battery. When I shoot (a lot) with a tripod and use the timer, I may wander a garden for 2 hours with my camera fixed to the tripod.  I really get tired of having to reactivate the timer over and over again before each photograph.

I just want the timer to stay on (for example, 2 seconds) once I activate it, and not reset itself back to OFF just because I turn the camera off briefly to conserve the battery. When I shoot (a lot) with a tripod and use the timer, I may wander a garden for 2 hours with my camera fixed to the tripod.  I really get tired of having to reactivate the timer over and over again before each photograph.

Many users would like that feature.

Many users would like that feature.

I remember reading that the Leica logic is it should work like the old mechanical timer which had to be engaged each shot you wanted to use it. I think Leica needs to acknowledge that times have changed. I totally agree with leaving it set until you revert back to normal operation. I regularly use it on a tripod. If Leica had made a provision to use a remote release (cable, not iPhone) it would be less annoying.

• Like 1

The problem is everybody has different expectations on the body's behaviour. If Leica wants to content all of us, the menu will turn like Sony or Fuji ones, which means full of customization options. I like the simplicity of the Q and I adapted to the way it works as I'd like it stays very simple and easy to operate.

• Like 1

Essentially I agree with Voxen. I doubt if any Leica user wishes to have the complexity of more multi-tiered menus. Any improvements should be possible by tweaking existing buttons and menu items without adding additional layers.

I strongly agree with Voxen about keeping the Q simple and not a lot of menus like every other digital camera. It's one thing I like a lot about the Q.

However, I do not think simply leaving the timer in the last setting violates that concept. In fact, there would be considerably less touching buttons if that was the case when taking a series of photos using a tripod in low light.

• Like 2