Leica Q Firmware 2.1 Wishlist

My firmware wish list?

(1) A 2 to 12 second timer that doesn't turn off and have to be reset each time you turn the Q's main switch off and back on

(2) Alternate frame line perspective, like square 1:1

(3) More black & white shooting options, such as with red, yellow or orange filters

This camera is a stellar RAW shooter. Internal Filters apply to jpegs only so what's the point? Edited by lucerne
  • Like 1

This camera is a stellar RAW shooter. Internal Filters apply to jpegs only so what's the point?

The "point" regarding my (1) 2 to 12 second timer that doesn't need to be reactivated over and over, because I turned off the cameras power switch?  - Convenience.

The point regarding 1:1 frame lines is for fun and practice to try the square format - The Q already gives the supplemental 35mm and 50mm cropped option, so why not a square frame line?

The point about the B&W filters, red or yellow, is only to compliment the Q's B&W option that is already present.

• 2 weeks later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Shoot RAW and you then have a pure unprocessed file to treat as you choose.

Noise Reduction is still done even if you are shooting in DNG only. Try it for yourself, take a 10 second exposure, you will see you will have to wait an additional 10 seconds for Noise Reduction before you can take the next photo. If its a 120 second exposure, you will have to wait an additional 120 seconds before you can take another photo because of the noise reduction function and there is no way to turn this off at the moment.

Can you even take a 120 second exposure ? I thought the limit was 30 seconds at base ISO

No, 120 secs is available at ISO 100 using the 1+ setting on the shutter speed then dialing up to that with the thumb wheel. 60 secs at ISO 200. 30 secs at ISO 400.

Can you even take a 120 second exposure ?  I thought the limit was 30 seconds at base ISO

Yes. Set the iso to 100, set the shutter speed to 1+, select an aperture then keep turning the exposure compensation dial to the left and you will see the shutter speed go up to 120. But make sure to give yourself another two minutes due to the noise reduction function that cannot be turned off.

Noise Reduction is still done even if you are shooting in DNG only. Try it for yourself, take a 10 second exposure, you will see you will have to wait an additional 10 seconds for Noise Reduction before you can take the next photo. If its a 120 second exposure, you will have to wait an additional 120 seconds before you can take another photo because of the noise reduction function and there is no way to turn this off at the moment.

Really. I have no need for such long exposures, merely a second or two. I still do not understand why noise reduction is applied for DNG only capture. It must be applied to the display JPEG used for the LCD. I doubt it affects the unadulterated raw file recorded in camera.

Really. I have no need for such long exposures, merely a second or two. I still do not understand why noise reduction is applied for DNG only capture. It must be applied to the display JPEG used for the LCD. I doubt it affects the unadulterated raw file recorded in camera.

That's an excellent question. If it does not affect DNG's, then Leica could make a switch to turn it off. I do sometimes take long exposures of night scenes. The noise reduction is time wasted in my opinion.

• Like 1

My next firmware wish is rather short but very very VERY much appreciated when implemented;

Give the possibility to ditch all the JPEG (related) clutter from the menus. I shoot RAW only and don't care about JPEG options. Allow me to customize it as a RAW-only camera.

regards, Martin

One other thing that would make it easier to use the Q (for me) is to make the Exposure Compensation indicator in the EVF clearer in how it shows your setting when shooting.

At the moment it shows a scale, but this is (for no apparent reason) divided into a top and bottom half, and only the bottom half is highlighted - and then only the line on the scale.

Given that we can't have a visual indicator on the Exposure Compensation dial on the top of the Q, you'd have thought it was even more important that it was REALLY OBVIOUS what the setting is. At the very least make it highlight both halves of the scale line, or - better - show a solid bar, so the more compensation you're applying, the more obvious it is. Like they do on loads of other cameras, like the Fuji X100.

There are no such thing as an unaltered raw file in digital cameras. Lots of operations and settings are applied to all files in camera before it is delivered to the memory card.

That's an excellent question. If it does not affect DNG's, then Leica could make a switch to turn it off. I do sometimes take long exposures of night scenes. The noise reduction is time wasted in my opinion.

I haven't tried it yet but will do so once I get a chance, I'm thinking of turning off the camera right after taking the long exposure shot then turning it back on for the next shot. Depending on how long your exposure is, this might be much faster than waiting for Noise Reduction to finish it work. Hopefully the image will still be recorded, and if no serious hot pixels are seen once you upload the photos on the computer then that could serve as proof that Noise Reduction is not needed in most situations.

I just don't understand why Leica felt that we should have no control over this, pretty much every other digital camera I've owned had an option to turn it off.

I sent them an email about this, I'm hopping they don't place it into their spam or trash folder and seriously look into it.

Edited by leetmode

My next firmware wish is rather short but very very VERY much appreciated when implemented;

Give the possibility to ditch all the JPEG (related) clutter from the menus. I shoot RAW only and don't care about JPEG options. Allow me to customize it as a RAW-only camera.

regards, Martin

Not going to happen, but a Favorites menu would help.