Leica Q Firmware 2.1 Wishlist

Cor Blimey!

Q users.

Never satisfied.

LouisB

LOL ... We are Qaholics!  We love the Q so much we feel the need to participate in its growth ... (I just took delivery of it Saturday morning so I'm still in that first blush of excitement :) ).

Speaking of which ...

I'd like a way to make the L-number the total number of shots taken with the camera - that is, it would go from 00999 to 01000 instead of 00999 to 10001.  Really confused as to why anyone would want it to work as it does now.

• Like 1

Often my chosen User Profile inadvertently defaults to Jpegs. So my wish is to make the actual Default Profile setting the last in the group, thus making User 1 the de facto Default setting. Or is there another way to cure this major irritation?

• Like 1

I suppose that the caption for this topic, "2.1 wishlist" implies that only minor changes to 2.0 are meant. If that is the case, I strongly forward the wish many others and myself have stated about improving EVF extended mode, See my previous post for a detailed summary.

If there are more major changes to be included, I have quite a few:

1. Allow programming of the "record video" button functionality. (for me: press + thumb wheel: focus mode change and press + thumb wheel = set exposure bracketing)
  2. Allow entering custom names for user profiles.
  3. Allow more than 4 user profiles
  4. Allow full manual exposure control (and I mean nothing auto) in video mode. Without that, it is totally unusable.
  5. Allow video recording to be disabled completely through the menu. When disabled, omit the video preview screen when cycling live view preview options.

6. Allow setting the longest exposure time before Auto ISO raises the ISO value. This is now a rather arbitrary 1/60. I find myself in situations in which 1/15 or longer would be nice.

There is one wish that I have for all my cameras and that no vendor seems to have understood, let alone implemented, and that is a true RAW data histogram. But this will remain nothing more than a dream, I fear.

I extend my wishlist quoted above with:

- Store the EVF-LCD display setting in user profiles. Currently, it is not possible to have one LCD only profile and one EVF only (or extended) profile. That would be handy in my case.

100% i agree with a still existent problem that was reported by Alejandro Ilukewitsch on Steve Huff`s website (http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2016/05/26/my-thoughts-and-photos-leica-q-by-alejandro-ilukewitsch/). 

· Auto Exposure Lock – it doesn’t have a well implemented function. If you want to lock exposure you need to leave the button pressed. That means that you cannot use AEL with the Exposure compensation wheel. Ex: Lock exposure, and then use Exposure compensation, since you must leave your finger on the AE button pressed.

• Like 4

I wish there could be an option for AEL toggle, not just hold on the Zoom/Lock-Button.

I would use this far more if it was simply push to lock exposure. The button is to small for me to press it all the time. I don´t need the digital zoom function and to hold the AE-L button is no fun, so the button is useless for me. It's a real trouble to keep that tiny flush button pressed while recomposing or refocusing. Every other camera I know has also this toggle function for the AEL-button and not only a "press until doomsday function".

Almost every beta tester wanted this feature, but leica ignored this popular demand.

• Like 7

I wish there could be an option for AEL toggle, not just hold on the Zoom/Lock-Button.

( ... )

Almost every beta tester wanted this feature, but leica ignored this popular demand.

Same here. I do not understand why they would leave this out. It can be a simple setting: "AEL hold" vs. "AEL toggle". I have had that options on all camera's but the simplest since I can remember, just not on the Leica.

I have read some other posts about people who were beta testers (in the context of having mentioned improvements to no avail, unfortunately). So although it seems useless to do so, I would enlist. How does one become a beta tester?

• Like 4

I wish a personal menu, short and easy to see

Have you considered setting up a User Profile which includes your most-used camera settings? That could then be easily accessed on the Fn button.

Leica menus are considered to be among the best in terms of simplicity in use. Difficult to see how it could be further simplified on the Q. What were your ideas?

I love using custom settings on my Canon gear.  Here on the Q I am just starting to use them.  I save my most favorite suite of settings as USER1.

The iPhone App could be made so much more useful if it could manage al four User Settings and NAME them!

I would have USER1=Normal, USER2=Portraits, USER3=Landscape, USER4=Night -- and having them named would help this old brain!

• Like 2

With DNG only mode, the DNG embedded JPEG is very low quality and during playback there are many artefacts, color shifts and such.

Zooming in the image is blurry and don't help checking sharpness either.

The DNG's embedded JPEG should be less compressed and higher resolution, like it is with the Leica SL.

Edited by Voxen
  • Like 2

most important for me:

Leica, please make the EVF brightness adjustable!!! It still shows the image about one f-stop brighter than it is after taking the photo (and I'm still sure, that this problem was not there with FW 1.0).

With the all the rest I'm fine.

• Like 3

most important for me:

Leica, please make the EVF brightness adjustable!!! It still shows the image about one f-stop brighter than it is after taking the photo (and I'm still sure, that this problem was not there with FW 1.0).

With the all the rest I'm fine.

You are right but I never rely on the EVF to expose. Use the histogram!

You can also overexpose 1/2 to 1 stop to counter the EVF (until they fix this issue).

Edited by Voxen

You are right but I never rely on the EVF to expose. Use the histogram!

You can also overexpose 1/2 to 1 stop to counter the EVF (until they fix this issue).

i always rely on the EVF. that's what i did from the beginning and it never was a problem until they released the first or second beta version.

why should i overexpose? images are correct just the EVF shows them too bright

With DNG only mode, the DNG embedded JPEG is very low quality and during playback there are many artefacts, color shifts and such.

Zooming in the image is blurry and don't help checking sharpness either.

The DNG's embedded JPEG should be less compressed and higher resolution, like it is with the Leica SL.

This has been implemented - I found out yesterday - quite by surprise in post processing - after using the Q for an assignment the first time after the 2.0 firmware update. The embedded jpgs are now full size, just like the Nikon NEFs.

Edited by beez
  • Like 1

I have two requests.  An earlier request was fulfilled with a smaller focus frame, yay!

1) To remove the wake-up click needed for the exposure compensation wheel.  As it stands the first rotational detent/click only wakes up the function and then succeeding clicks actually change exposure.  So if set for 1/3 stops, I have to apply three clicks for 2/3rds stop exposure compensation.  Once the value is set, I have to again add an additional click for a change, i.e. two clicks for 1/3 stop, and four clicks for a full stop.  Is this a "safety" feature?  The best safety IMO is a strong detent on the wheel, which it thankfully already has.  Can I disable this non-ergomonic behavior?  

2)  Also the ability to create a personal menu.  Follows a 10/90 logic; that we use 10% of the menu items 90% of the time.

• Like 1