Q Lens correction in Photoshop (not ACR...)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I would like to use a raw converter that I very much like (rpp) that unfortunately does not performs the lens corrections as encoded in the Q DNG files. I then take the converted files into Photoshop, so they still show the original distortion. Rather interesting to see of course, but not very useful.

So what I am looking for is a Q lens correction profile for use in Photoshop. I assume that apart from barrel distortion and cropping some CA correction is applied, but I am not sure. I have searched the internet extensively but without results.

Has anyone made or come across such a profile? Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance !

I Remenber Reading somewhere that the Parameter for Lens correction are contained in the dngs. And probably they are bot very complicated, i Would expect.

I have the Same issue with all the software on my linux Systems. Running lightroom in a Virtual box...

wheres Lens correction is feasible i think getting satisfying Color Profiles is much harder...

Best wishes

Tk

The correction profile is embedded in the DNG. Your RAW converter should hopefully recognize it if it's up to date. It's much better to apply lens corrections to the raw file rather than a .psd, .tiff, or .jpg. Unexpected things can happen when not applying the corrections to the raw file. There is a "lens correction" filter in Photoshop, but I checked both of the apps I use, and neither CS6 or the current CC have profiles for the Q and it's 28/1.7 Lux lens.

I can point you to a good Adobe help/info page (if you haven't found it already) that explains a lot about the application of lens correction profiles:

https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/multi/lens-profile-support.html

Adobe also makes a utility to make your own lens correction profiles:

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=5489

The correction profile is embedded in the DNG. Your RAW converter should hopefully recognize it if it's up to date.

I am well aware that the corrections are embedded in the DNG, as opcodes. But that is exactly my point, I cannot use those. I prefer a RAW converter, RPP,  that does not apply these embedded corrections but has superior color and exposure handling. Adobe RAW converter (ACR) has lousy color as far as I am concerned and exposure correction is very noisy. So I would like to correct for lens distortion and CA later in the process.

I am well aware that the corrections are embedded in the DNG, as opcodes. But that is exactly my point, I cannot use those. I prefer a RAW converter, RPP,  that does not apply these embedded corrections but has superior color and exposure handling. Adobe RAW converter (ACR) has lousy color as far as I am concerned and exposure correction is very noisy. So I would like to correct for lens distortion and CA later in the process.

I understood your point - that's why I pointed you to the Adobe help page. Photoshop does have some lens profiles for Leica lenses available under the "lens correction" menu, but not the 28/1.7 on the Q.  You could petition Adobe to put a profile for the lens into Photoshop, or better yet, since the the maker of the RPP is an individual rather than a big corporation, maybe you can ask them to make it recognize the lens correction data in the file.

• Like 1

I understood your point - that's why I pointed you to the Adobe help page. Photoshop does have some lens profiles for Leica lenses available under the "lens correction" menu, but not the 28/1.7 on the Q.  You could petition Adobe to put a profile for the lens into Photoshop, or better yet, since the the maker of the RPP is an individual rather than a big corporation, maybe you can ask them to make it recognize the lens correction data in the file.

Thanks. I noticed Adobe PS does not have it and I am a bit disappointed in Adobe in general, but I'll give the petition a try. Who knows. Not doing it is the only real assurance of not being heard, so who knows?

I tried RPP but they (yes, its actually two people cooperating) are somewhat reluctant (mildly put) since it is their philosophy that corrections are not really what a RAW converter is about. I, like you, tend to disagree, especially since they are one of the very few raw converters really doing calculations on raw data. Adobe ACR does not, they demosaic and encode into Melissa and the do all their stuff afterwards. The whole thing of relying on DNG opcodes is a bit of a toolchain breaker for me. I was simply hoping that someone had come across this before and had found/built a solution for PS...

And it is not a very big issue, I am just a bit of a perfectionist. I could go ahead and make a profile myself.