Monochrom Sensor Replacement Experience

Luke_Miller

That must be news for Leica ;)

So, can I assume that Leica will replace the CCD sensor on my MM if corrosion sets in?  Do I need to wait for this to happen or can I just send it back to Leica for replacement before the corrosion issue happens?  

Thanks!

So, can I assume that Leica will replace the CCD sensor on my MM if corrosion sets in?  Do I need to wait for this to happen or can I just send it back to Leica for replacement before the corrosion issue happens?  

Thanks!

Wilfredo, you must have been meditating in a cave for the last year or two. :)

If it was purchased new less than five years ago, they will repair it for free if it needs replacement. Otherwise, the repair costs $1K.

But the wait for MM sensor repairs has been eight or nine months. If you're nearing five years, it's probably best to send it in. Otherwise, wait until it shows corrosion. 

John 

Edited by johnwolf

Wilfredo, you must have been meditating in a cave for the last year or two. :)

If it was purchased new less than five years ago, they will repair it for free if it needs replacement. Otherwise, the repair costs $1K.

But the wait for MM sensor repairs has been eight or nine months. If you're nearing five years, it's probably best to send it in. Otherwise, wait until it shows corrosion. 

John 

Yes John, I've been meditating in a cave with my camera, and very rarely make the pilgrimage to the Leica User Forum these days, but every now and then I take a peek, and I'm glad I did.  As it turns out, it will be 5 years since I purchased the camera in September, and although I haven't had any issues with the sensor, I called Leica in Allendale, N.J. about getting it replaced, and they said they would.  I'm going to drive over there today to drop it off.  I'd rather endure the wait time, than pay $1000 for the sensor to be replaced. 

Thanks!

Well, my Monochrom Type I is now at the Leica Hotel in Allendale, N.J.  for a sensor replacement.  Today is March 12, 2018.  I will keep you all posted on the progress.  Glad I was able to get it back to Leica for the sensor replacement before the 5 year cutoff date.

Cheers!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am very pleased with my Monochrom sensor replacement experience. Leica showed its integrity by doing a recall that was bound to hike demand and tax the repair departments of such a small company. Thanks to clear and responsive communication from the NJ Customer Care Division, under the leadership of Jennine J., and an effective and efficient method of the repair departments to get the sensor replacements moving, I think they now have turnover close to 6 months or fewer. It is my impression that they are moving repairs by following a 3-prong strategy. First they offer a trade up to a Typ 246. That still leaves demand for repairs of Typ 230. Recently, Leica NJ seems to have divided the work load with Wetzlar, doing some sensor replacements in NJ as sensors come in, and sending some cameras to Wetzlar for repair and return. I’ve been blessed with a return of my Monochrom in less than 7 months. The work is professional and precise in terms of adjustments and performance. It’s like going back in time and receiving your Typ 230 all over again, nice and new! I think that for new repair submissions, turnover time will be fewer than 6 months. This is all pure speculation on my part. I have no inside information. All I can say for sure is that my experience with their technical efficiency, responsiveness and communication has been what I would expect from Leica. Tom

Guest jvansmit

..... and new! I think that for new repair submissions, turnover time will be fewer than 6 months. This is all pure speculation on my part. I have no inside information. All I can say for sure is that my experience with their technical efficiency, responsiveness and communication has been what I would expect from Leica. Tom

I'm astonished that anyone would be happy with 6 months...my MM1 has recently been shipped to Shanghai for a sensor replacement, and the service manager there tells me that I should get it back at the end of next month

Edited by jvansmit
  • Like 1

What paper work did you guys get when you got your Monochrom back?

I got a note saying that

"This Leica product was tested and inspected by Leica factory trained technicians and found to meet all factory standards"

Is that what they send when the sensor has been replaced?

Grateful for any answers

Greetings to all...

I'm interested in purchasing a Leica M9M that the owner stated had 1100 shutter clicks. I ran my calculator app in programmer mode and determined the actual actuations were 4596. To confirm, I ran the app M9info and also confirmed this same number of shutter clicks. Albeit, this is still a low number of actuations, but the owner said the sensor was replaced on 09/07/2017, but the invoice from Leica only mentions...

+M Monochrom, black chrome finish

serial # 434**** necessary labours 3H

leather covering

printed circuit, adjusted

For those who have had this sensor replaced can you confirm what the invoice indicates. Thank you

I dropped my camera off 2 months ago in New Jersey.  I was told that the turn around time is 26 weeks, so I still have a few months to go.  I'm not happy with the slow pace, but glad I will get it back with a new sensor.  In the meantime, I can use my M lenses on my Sony A7RII, but it's not quite the same.

Cheers!

Edited by wilfredo

My Monochrom returned yesterday following its sensor replacement.  A little over nine months since I shipped it to New Jersey.

The long wait aside, the work looks to have been done in exemplary fashion.  Glad to have it back!

Best wishes to those of you still in the queue...

So here's my experience. My MM1 showed corrosion and I sent it to NJ in August just before the deadline for getting free replacement was supposed to end. (Perhaps it has been extended?) I initially got an e-mail saying it would be ready in 2 weeks!! I had heard of the long wait time and wasn't surprised that this was not accurate. I was not happy with Leica not updating me with a more realistic wait time despite my contacting them many times. I did get it back 6 months later in Feb this year. The work was done well as far as I can tell. When I bought the camera I was still doing part time pro work with it but stopped any pro activity several years ago. If I was counting on this tool for my work, I would have gone ballistic frankly. As it is I'm glad to have it again, it's a truly wonderful camera......Peter

>>>>Greetings to all...

I'm interested in purchasing a Leica M9M that the owner stated had 1100 shutter clicks. I ran my calculator app in programmer mode and determined the actual actuations were 4596. To confirm, I ran the app M9info and also confirmed this same number of shutter clicks. Albeit, this is still a low number of actuations, but the owner said the sensor was replaced on 09/07/2017, but the invoice from Leica only mentions...

+M Monochrom, black chrome finish

serial # 434**** necessary labours 3H

leather covering

printed circuit, adjusted

For those who have had this sensor replaced can you confirm what the invoice indicates. Thank you<<<<

From what I have seen and been posted (including myself) from those who sent in wither their M9 or MM! cameras for sensor corrosion to Leica N.J. (at least in the last 8 months), the cameras work order (receipt) upon completion of the work reads exactly as you described.  It doesn't specifically mention the word "sensor", but "printed circuit, adjusted.  Many have speculated that this is just the technical term for sensor/printed circuit assembly unit replacement...but haven't heard yet of anyone questioning Leica N.J. on this for the precise confirmation.  Would be good to know.

Dave (D&A)

Edited by DandA

I can share my experience after the return of my Monochrome I from NJ by way of Wetzlar relative to how sensor replacement is confirmed.  This may apply only to return shipments from Wetzlar.

With the camera (in beautiful operating and aesthetic condition) came only a general statement of repair completed with no specificity.  I called Customer Care in NJ and was assured the sensor had been replaced and that they were glad to send me a confirming email to that effect.  If I were a buyer, that would satisfy me; however, I was able to get another document.  I was told that all cameras returning from Wetzlar that day in the batch including mine, came with a Repair Voice from Wetlar listing each camera repaired (of all kinds, not just MMIs nor M9s with sensor problems) by serial number and with more specificity for each repair.  I found my my camera serial number on p.7 of a 7-pages document and although it was only one paragraph, it did state explicitly that among the operations performed (free) were "exchange sensor" and "adjust sensor."  Clearly, also, there was no longer any signs of corrosion on the perfectly clear images I test shot.  I do not know if if NJ uses a long multi item Repair Invoice for the items it repairs in NJ.  Again, I would accept an email confirming sensor replacement from Customer Care, but that may be my predilection only.  I hope this has been helpful.  My experience is limited.  I am confident enough in the quality of Customer Care NJ to believe they will work with you until you feel you have sufficient evidence for actual sensor replacement.  Tom

• 1 month later...

Greetings Everyone,

I was just about to inquire where my MM was in the queue, when I got two notes from Leica-USA that it was fixed! Mine came back this week.

I bought it, pre-owned, February 2017. It had a replacement sensor already, so I thought it was safe. I  noticed peculiar spots in Jan. 2018, confirmed by the DC Leica Store, which shipped it up for me. I just made it within the 1 year warranty for pre-owned gear. So, 5 1/2 months wait for my newified, beautiful favorite Monochrome. 

My M9 wasn't so lucky. It had a frozen shutter and a sensor replacement March 2015 (that only took a couple of weeks!). Unfortunately, I noticed weird spots in February 2018 - I thought I'd ruined it with a wet clean, but then I saw that the spots first showed up last year. It was out of warranty so I upgraded to a 262, as I wanted to have a camera while waiting for the MM....and my return to film was brief and humbling. By the way, the 262 is wonderful.

I'm glad to have everything resolved.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest jvansmit

Sent in April, and due back in the next few days  :)

I was told that my M9M would be back at the end of May but it was delayed when the Shanghai service centre found a shutter issue during testing after the sensor was replaced.  The service experience via Leica Shanghai has been excellent.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by jvansmit

It's starting to feel like a long lonely wait. It's been four months now, and if the turn-around time is 26 weeks, I'll be getting my Monochrom back next month before my trip to Assisi, Italy. I can't imagine making that trip,without my Monochrom. Initially, I thought I could endure the wait, since I have my Sony which I can use with my M lenses, and even my one R lens; but now it's starting to feel like a long, dreary cold Winter, and it's Summer in New York City... Monochrom come home!

Wilfredo, Were I you, I’d contact Customer Care in N.J. and explain your situation as sincerely as you have here. Ask them to try to help without making any demands. Tell them of your confidence in them. I think they will respond helpfully and quickly.

You have nothing to lose — good luck. Tom

PS Assisi has been a top highlight of my Italian journeys. It truly is a great spiritual center. Photography is another matter — there are many restrictions inside the churches. You may think me amoral, but since I do not sell surruptious photos, I have allowed myself personal mementos of Giotto and St. Francis with a pre-focused wide-angle, shooting from the hip.

• Like 1