Monochrom Sensor Replacement Experience

Luke_Miller

Does anyone have insight into how often Leica USA gets batches of Monochrom sensors from Germany? I found out my 2 cameras are scheduled for repair upon receipt of the next batch of sensors.

Thank you.

Eric

Does anyone have insight into how often Leica USA gets batches of Monochrom sensors from Germany? I found out my 2 cameras are scheduled for repair upon receipt of the next batch of sensors.

Thank you.

Eric

I do know at one point Leica NJ had said that they were waiting for sensors from Germany, and thus all cameras were waiting.

Fortunately I've since had better news. They said I tech would be working my camera yesterday and I'd have a tracking number by Monday. I certainly hope it plays out that way.

• Like 1

I do admire Leica users from America.

The truly horror stories with Leica NJ CS is beyond belief.

I live in Lisbon. I discovered ( about 6 or so ) months ago the dreaded corrosion on my M9. On top of that, the sensor cracked.

Emailed Leica Germany and Leica Store Porto ( which is about 300kms / 200 miles ) from me.

Both replied promptly and Leica Germany said to me : send the camera to the Leica Store Porto, they will deal will it.

Leica Store Porto sent the camera to Wetzlar and 24 hours later, I had a tracking number for a Leica Repair Portal. I could see all the time, what they were doing to my camera - most of it, was waiting ehhehe

It took 24 hours the camera to go from Portugal to Germany. The camera was waiting for 2 days in Germany they they spent a whole day inspecting the camera.

I got a call from Leica Store Porto saying "well, now this is something. got news from your camera".

The Leica Repair Portal showed up with "waiting for approval of repairs".

I was puzzled.

Leica Store sent me the repair estimative : the CCD had to be replaced. so the board. also the rangefinder mechanism. and optical viewfinder. the whole internals. and the shutter.

I look at the repair costs estimative with fear but it read : zero. courtesy from Leica.

why all this ? no idea. I use my M9 from day I bought it new ( on launch date ). she is well brassed and not really babied - not abused, but used in rain, fog, sun, night. Over 100k exposures.

So they pretty much gave me a new M9 with my old M9 brassed shell and the latest CCD.

Total time : 10 days in Wetzlar. Again 24 hours to come back.

The whole thing: about 15 days.

Can't understand how you can deal with months of wait with zero reply from Leica NJ. 

I do admire Leica users from America.

The truly horror stories with Leica NJ CS is beyond belief.

I live in Lisbon. I discovered ( about 6 or so ) months ago the dreaded corrosion on my M9. On top of that, the sensor cracked.

Emailed Leica Germany and Leica Store Porto ( which is about 300kms / 200 miles ) from me.

Both replied promptly and Leica Germany said to me : send the camera to the Leica Store Porto, they will deal will it.

Leica Store Porto sent the camera to Wetzlar and 24 hours later, I had a tracking number for a Leica Repair Portal. I could see all the time, what they were doing to my camera - most of it, was waiting ehhehe

It took 24 hours the camera to go from Portugal to Germany. The camera was waiting for 2 days in Germany they they spent a whole day inspecting the camera.

I got a call from Leica Store Porto saying "well, now this is something. got news from your camera".

The Leica Repair Portal showed up with "waiting for approval of repairs".

I was puzzled.

Leica Store sent me the repair estimative : the CCD had to be replaced. so the board. also the rangefinder mechanism. and optical viewfinder. the whole internals. and the shutter.

I look at the repair costs estimative with fear but it read : zero. courtesy from Leica.

why all this ? no idea. I use my M9 from day I bought it new ( on launch date ). she is well brassed and not really babied - not abused, but used in rain, fog, sun, night. Over 100k exposures.

So they pretty much gave me a new M9 with my old M9 brassed shell and the latest CCD.

Total time : 10 days in Wetzlar. Again 24 hours to come back.

The whole thing: about 15 days.

Can't understand how you can deal with months of wait with zero reply from Leica NJ.

Good to know, things work pretty well in good old Europe.

On the other hand it seems Leica NJ is making America great again. Wondering, how things will work in UK past March 2019, touch wood my non-M9 equipment is working well.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Good to know, things work pretty well in good old Europe.

On the other hand it seems Leica NJ is making America great again. Wondering, how things will work in UK past March 2019, touch wood my non-M9 equipment is working well.

Most likely you will have long delays.

But hey, at that time you can put another email in CC to rant : Theresa May :) 

• 5 weeks later...

I was remiss in not updating from my whining last month. 

Indeed, Leica NJ did sent my Monochrom out that following Monday -- they shipped second day air, emailed a tracking number and it arrived in perfect condition. 

That it took five months had a great deal to do with NJ waiting for sensors from Germany. I would imagine that the backlog is rapidly clearing out now. 

• Like 1

Update. After I sent my monochrom in, I got on the phone and called NJ. Everyone I spoke with - reception > repair services - All were very polite and on top of things. Monochrom sensor replacements are 20 week waits. I last spoke to them in early October and was told another 12 weeks given where my camera was in the queue. It's sad to not have the camera for so long, but I do have my M10 to keep me busy.

I haven't decided if I'll resell my M9M given that the files were easier to work with in lightroom - smaller and noise was a nice pattern since it was from a single channel. I don't think many are reselling since I don't see any with a new sensor on the boards, ebay or craigslist. 

• Like 1

Spoke to Leica NJ today to get status on my CCD Monochrom which they have had since the end of May.  They said that new sensors are on order to be delivered in January. 

If sensors come in the beginning of January I will have my camera back by the end of January, whereas, if the sensors come in the middle of January, we are looking at February. 

Lots of fury directed at Leica NJ and no doubt, much of it deserved because of poor communication on their part. When my M9M sensor started to show signs of demise, instead of posting my camera, I decided to drive out there since it's about 30 minutes from where I live. 

Given the size of the market they service, the facility is relatively modest in size and staffing. The non-German technicians tended to be on the older side (from what I was able to see). Everyone I dealt with was polite and obliging to a fault, even going so far as adjusting my 50 APO's loose aperture ring on the spot as I waited to pick up the Monochrom weeks later. 

It is a shame they do nothing to reach out to the community, perhaps having a staff member post on sites like this when questions or concerns arise. Everyone there appeared to be assiduously at work and doing their best.

• 2 months later...

Greetings, 
I noticed a funny looking, wormy shape on my MM images (at f11-16). I couldn't see what it was at home, but I took it to the Leica DC Store where I got great help and we spotted a very snip of wire or something stuck to the glass. It got shipped up to NJ a couple of weeks ago and I inquired how it was going. I received a note that the sensor needed replacement and they were waiting for a new supply. I bought the MM used last year with an already replaced sensor, so I thought that would be a safe bet in the long run.

So, how common is a double-replacement within a couple of years? What is actually going wrong; is it the same or a different issue? I understand about the first sensors having the corrosion problem (my M9 had that), but why wouldn't the replacements be reengineered to avoid a relapse?

Greetings, 

I noticed a funny looking, wormy shape on my MM images (at f11-16). I couldn't see what it was at home, but I took it to the Leica DC Store where I got great help and we spotted a very snip of wire or something stuck to the glass. It got shipped up to NJ a couple of weeks ago and I inquired how it was going. I received a note that the sensor needed replacement and they were waiting for a new supply. I bought the MM used last year with an already replaced sensor, so I thought that would be a safe bet in the long run.

So, how common is a double-replacement within a couple of years? What is actually going wrong; is it the same or a different issue? I understand about the first sensors having the corrosion problem (my M9 had that), but why wouldn't the replacements be reengineered to avoid a relapse?

Your first replaced sensor was in all likelihood, the old version. The new one is built differently and ought not experience the same short life.

The replacement sensors were re-engineered; obviously, that took a while. In the meantime the affected cameras needed to be repaired and still received the old type sensor. Now your camera will get the corrosion-proof sensor.

Hi Jaap,

Thanks for the note. Seems a bit of an odd way to solve the problem, but it has allowed people to keep using their cameras in the meanwhile. Now the questions is whether to try your sensor cleaning technique on my M9, which has acquired a couple of immoveable  spots on its glass. My local shop, one of the last real camera stores in Washington, DC says they get a lot of business from folks who haven't mastered the technique. I guess I can practice on my old D70 and D300.

Did I read correctly somewhere on this thread that Leica is no longer offering a CCD sensor replacement for the type I Monochrom?  I had mine serviced over a year ago, and it had no issues with the sensor.  I hope I will get a replacement if it ever becomes an issue after spending $8000. to purchase it.

Did I read correctly somewhere on this thread that Leica is no longer offering a CCD sensor replacement for the type I Monochrom?  I had mine serviced over a year ago, and it had no issues with the sensor.  I hope I will get a replacement if it ever becomes an issue after spending $8000. to purchase it.

Where did you read that?