Monochrom Sensor Replacement Experience

Luke_Miller

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Unfortunately, Leica USA is a semi-independent section of Leica and has been since before WWII. Basically, they have to hold up their own pants. Having said that, Leica Germany is making quite an effort to support them right now.

I can assure you that Leica Wetzlar is well aware of the issues.

• Like 1

1+

Everyone goes off on these people, IMHO, unfairly. If you've visited the facility as I have, it is curiously small given the fact that it's supposed to tend to buyers in North America (correct me if I'm wrong here, but they will repair for the US, Canada and ?Mexico). The folks there were always gracious in the several times I had dealings with them. The choice to under-staff is made at Wetzlar, where all the resources for repairs appear to be inordinately pooled.

My Montreal dealer sent my Monochrom to Germany at no expense to me. 

• Like 1

My Montreal dealer sent my Monochrom to Germany at no expense to me.

My London dealer did the same. I don't recommend directly consigning any item to Wetzlar or your dealer without them arranging carriage both ways. Leica supplies a goods return label which has a tracking number and all you should be required to do is pack and label and call the carrier and agree a time and date for collection. Edited by lucerne

In 2014 my Monochrom  began to develop corrosion spots.  Fortunately they were not severe enough to show in my images, so I was able to continue shooting with it.  Since the sensor with the new cover glass was not available for the Monochrom I did not want to send it in and get another of the original sensors.

In February of this year (after the new sensors were announced as available) I emailed Leica New Jersey to see if I could reserve a place in the sensor replacement queue.  I received a prompt reply that I was on the list and would be notified when it was time to send my body in.  On June 24th I received a pre-paid UPS label.  Leica received my Monochrom on June 27th and yesterday (July 26) they notified me that the sensor had been replaced and the camera had been cleaned and adjusted at no charge.

I'm very satisfied with the support by Leica NJ. While the whole sensor corrosion issue with the M9/Monochrom/M-E is unfortunate, I think Leica has done an excellent job in responding and taking care of its customers.

Who did you email? I've emailed and left voicemails with customer care and haven't heard back.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My MM1 went in and was received by Leica NJ about seven weeks ago.  When I arranged to send it, they were saying 12 weeks.  By mid June, 20-24 like Gary, and now I'm reading 32-36 weeks.  I've been using M cameras since the late 70s, and have had repairs done on the M8 [early adopter=beta tester], the M9, another MM [sensor swap with turnaround of four weeks, done last fall].  I am really considering beginning to divest myself of this gear, but after so many years, they are an extension of me, so I may settle for trying some other gear in the interim, then decide what gets sold when [and if] the MM comes back sometime at the end of the year.

My MM1 went in and was received by Leica NJ about seven weeks ago.  When I arranged to send it, they were saying 12 weeks.  By mid June, 20-24 like Gary, and now I'm reading 32-36 weeks.  I've been using M cameras since the late 70s, and have had repairs done on the M8 [early adopter=beta tester], the M9, another MM [sensor swap with turnaround of four weeks, done last fall].  I am really considering beginning to divest myself of this gear, but after so many years, they are an extension of me, so I may settle for trying some other gear in the interim, then decide what gets sold when [and if] the MM comes back sometime at the end of the year.

But it's not as if they're leaving you in the lurch, forcing you to divest your extensive collection of glass. They are offering a new camera with a full warranty at a significant discount. 

But it's not as if they're leaving you in the lurch, forcing you to divest your extensive collection of glass. They are offering a new camera with a full warranty at a significant discount.

You are absolutely correct...and I love using these cameras, as well as the results I get from them. A brand new one is sorely tempting. Plus, even if I pass, eventually I'll get a "new" MM1 back, without cost to me.

But then I also loved small Alfas and Fiats once upon a time...when they were running. The problem, of course, besides their breaking, was waiting for the parts to arrive.

I find this quite interesting Leica NJ is telling people it will take 32-36 weeks to replace the sensors.  I am an American on extended holiday in Australia.  I sent my MM as mentioned in Posts 45 and 58 from Australia to Wetzlar direct and once at Leica, took approximately 16 days to replace the sensor.  The real wait time was the shipping and German Customs.  I wonder if Leica NJ is fishing, hoping to get people to take up the offer of a new M cameras at discounted prices rather than replacing the sensors, in addition to the personnel issues at the center.  It just doesn't seem right to me the long delay at NJ when Wetzlar Customer Care didn't even ask if I wanted their offer of a new camera.  Rather they went to work on replacing the sensor.  Kudos to Leica Germany and Customer Care there.  Too bad, I can't say the same for NJ and their ongoing 2+ year "service" debacle.  If anyone is thinking about replacing the corroded sensor, I most highly recommend shipping your camera directly to Leica Customer Care at Wetzlar and most certainly by-pass NJ if in the US.

Edited by LeicaR10

My MM arrived this morning, exactly 17 weeks after it was received at the NJ facility. While this is far longer than it should have taken, I am holding what looks and functions like a brand new camera. I vastly prefer this CCD to the CMOS.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Update. After another attempt I was able to reach Leica NJ (I left a voicemail politely explaining the urgency of the sensor deadline - they called me back the next day). The ladies are very nice on the phone. I asked if they could email me a shipping label and I received it the next day. It was for ground shipping - so it's a week travel time - should get there this week. I'll keep you updated as to timing.

My MM arrived this morning, exactly 17 weeks after it was received at the NJ facility. While this is far longer than it should have taken, I am holding what looks and functions like a brand new camera. I vastly prefer this CCD to the CMOS.

When mine returned (looked like new and loaded with the updated firmware), it seemed to start up faster and display the taken images a bit quicker. Wasn't sure if it was my imagination or not. Curious if you've noticed the same.

Well, my Monochrom v1 was logged into the system at Wetzlar on 1 June.  Estimated time for completion, 6-8 weeks (excluding customs clearance and shipping).

Let's see ...

Okay, so my Monochrom was received in Wetzlar on 31 May, went into the system on 1 June and was listed as "in repair" on 9 June. Repair was completed on 8 August, just a few days over 8 weeks.

Can't complain.

When mine returned (looked like new and loaded with the updated firmware), it seemed to start up faster and display the taken images a bit quicker. Wasn't sure if it was my imagination or not. Curious if you've noticed the same.

I had already updated the firmware before sending my camera in, and since I had only been using it for two months it looked like new when Leica repair got it. I bought my camera "used" with only 75 shutter actuations. But it did come back spotless. I did not notice any improvement in write speed or start up time.

Edited by fotografr

Okay, so my Monochrom was received in Wetzlar on 31 May, went into the system on 1 June and was listed as "in repair" on 9 June. Repair was completed on 8 August, just a few days over 8 weeks.

Can't complain.

That's quite good service comparatively.

Can't complain.

I should have added that the service included leather replacement.

From "Repair completed" on 8 August 2017, it seems to have taken a week to get to "Pending for shipment" on 15 August 2017.  Not sure what happened during that week, or how long it will take to get to "Customs clearance" and finally "Shipped".

It's odd that, leaving cost aside, I could have flown to Germany, dropped the camera at Wetzlar, then gone back to Wetzlar and picked it up and saved myself more than the repair time (shipped 17 May to "In repair" took 3 weeks, and it has been over a week since the repair was completed and the camera has yet to leave Wetzlar - shipping to Germany took 2 weeks ...).

That said, it could have been worse and when I get the camera back, it will effectively be new (in my eyes).

Not sure what happened during that week, or how long it will take to get to "Customs clearance" and finally "Shipped".

You'll possibly find the factory operates on a skeleton staff from 7th August until 21 August.

These are the traditional 2 weeks that most European Businesses shut down for summer holidays