Monochrom Sensor Replacement Experience

Luke_Miller

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I brought my Monochrom into our local camera store to have the sensor cleaned.  The tech called to say that there were bubble spots on the test shot in addition to the dust circles.  I see them when I enlarge a photo; they look like ghost balloons.  I read recently that Leica is repairing /cleaning sensors on the Monochrom until the end of June, free of charge, but I have lost that email.  Can anyone help with that?  Can anyone supply a link to the appropriate page on the Leica site?  Many thanks.  Matt

• 2 weeks later...

Update from my end... Leica NJ has had my camera since mid-march.  I got a confirmation number and letter in my e-mail indicating that they have received everything.  Since then I have received no updates.  I have e-mailed them several times without response and have called in several times but have gotten now definitive answer on how long it will take.  They always tell me that they'll check with the tech and give me a call tomorrow but I never get a call back with any updates.  I'm not going to hold my breath that I will get my camera back any time soon but they could really use some help in the customer service department.  I understand being backed up but they should at least inform people of what's going on even if they can't give definitive timelines.

It should also be noted that I sent in a 50mm Elmar-M at the same time to get coded and they still have not gotten back to me on how long that will take or even where it is...  I'm hoping that they didn't lose it.

Tangfj,   I sent my Monochrom to Leica Germany from Australia on May 29th, arrived in Germany June 6th, it spent 8 business days in German Customs (normal) and once at Leica, got an immediate email of receipt of my camera and next a confirming email of the sensor corrosion from Customer Care.  Today, July 6th, I get a UPS tracking number from Leica and my repaired Monochrom is now in transit back to Australia.  The Leica Repair Center in NJ is a disaster.  It has been this way for two years.  It has many issues.  Leica has sent its technicians from Germany no less than 8 times in the last year to help train the staff and "fix" the issues.  It is NOT working.  Next time, I recommend you follow the Leica website instruction exactly and send it directly to Customer Care at Wetzlar.  Leica Wetzlar is the gold standard for Customer Care.  I am a native American on long holiday in Australia and have to admit the Leica NJ "Customer Repair Service"...is a disgrace. I wish Leica Germany would simply put Leica "Repair Service" NJ out of business, make it simply a repair forwarding agent and all repairs are done at Wetzlar.   r/ Mark

Edited by LeicaR10

Advertisement (gone after registration)

When I did my M9P sensor replacement it took almost 4 months. N.J, told me there is a 6 month monochrom wait a few weeks ago.....perhaps they are getting a lot of monochrom's because of the free replacement deadline. They lowered the price to upgrade to a M246 to $3480 but said they may not have one in stock. Talked to the L.A. Leica store and they said they would do the upgrade as soon as they are notified by N.J. .....Hoping that makes for a quicker experience of not having a monochrom. Just sent off my M240P (SL replaced it) to sell but kept the evf and handgrip to use on the M246. Hoping I'm as happy with the 246 as i was with the MM1

Taosantamonica,   Too bad you didn't just send your M9P directly to Wetzlar and not bother with Leica NJ as I wrote in Post #45 above.  I gave up on Leica NJ 18 month ago after a 9 month simple lens CLA and coding debacle.  Now I only send my Leica gear to either Dan Goldberg at DAG Camera in Wisconsin or in the case of the sensor replacement, Leica Germany at Wetzlar.  With luck, Leica Germany will realize the "Repair Center" in NJ is beyond "repair", close it down and all repairs are simply forwarded to Wetzlar where the job will be done right the first time and expeditiously.  Good luck.  r/ Mark

LeicaPassion,   It is mostly likely not too late to have NJ return your MM...IF they can find it. (No joke)  Then you can send it to Wetzlar yourself.  Just follow the instructions exactly on the Leica website.  A small hassle considering where it went...the Leica NJ black hole....Good luck.    r/ Mark

Edited by LeicaR10

When I did my M9P sensor replacement it took almost 4 months. N.J, told me there is a 6 month monochrom wait a few weeks ago.....perhaps they are getting a lot of monochrom's because of the free replacement deadline. They lowered the price to upgrade to a M246 to $3480 but said they may not have one in stock. Talked to the L.A. Leica store and they said they would do the upgrade as soon as they are notified by N.J. .....Hoping that makes for a quicker experience of not having a monochrom. Just sent off my M240P (SL replaced it) to sell but kept the evf and handgrip to use on the M246. Hoping I'm as happy with the 246 as i was with the MM1

Spoke to Leica NJ today and they offered me the same deal.  Instead of waiting for my MM1 I decided to go for this... I figured I'd get a new camera and I'd get it much faster than waiting on my MM1.  Their deal doesn't seem to be a no-brainer given the prices but I've alread been waiting 4 months and originally they quoted me an upgrade price that was higher than this so I feel like this is a good move... I think I'll like some of the advantages of the 246 as well.  Now we'll see if they actually ship one out to me next week like they promised!

'aceventura1986' (https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/274196-upgrade-from-me-and-m9-m/?do=findComment&comment=3310639) was now told of a 36 WEEK turnaround on sensor replacements. 

You've got to wonder whether the manufacturer is either having trouble making them or decided to stop production in the near future because it is now cost prohibitive.

Edited by james.liam

Since Leica NJ is not responding, I would go express my displeasure to Leica Germany.

Exactly what I just did--to multiple individuals. I have zero interest in upgrading because I have a strong preference for the CCD sensor. I don't hold the New Jersey facility at fault so much as Leica AG. They are the ones doling out sensors and if they aren't sending them to New Jersey to take care of their USA customers, there's nothing the repair technicians can do. The mother ship needs to get their shit together on this.

• Like 2

Exactly what I just did--to multiple individuals. I have zero interest in upgrading because I have a strong preference for the CCD sensor. I don't hold the New Jersey facility at fault so much as Leica AG. They are the ones doling out sensors and if they aren't sending them to New Jersey to take care of their USA customers, there's nothing the repair technicians can do. The mother ship needs to get their shit together on this.

1+

Everyone goes off on these people, IMHO, unfairly. If you've visited the facility as I have, it is curiously small given the fact that it's supposed to tend to buyers in North America (correct me if I'm wrong here, but they will repair for the US, Canada and ?Mexico). The folks there were always gracious in the several times I had dealings with them. The choice to under-staff is made at Wetzlar, where all the resources for repairs appear to be inordinately pooled.

Actually the choice is not really made in Wetzlar, as Leica USA is semi-independent and makes some of its own policy choices. The main problem they are having is in the new TAP software I'm told, and I am sure that it will be resolved in due course.

In the meantime it is indeed more than annoying for the customers.

Actually the choice is not really made in Wetzlar, as Leica USA is semi-independent and makes some of its own policy choices. The main problem they are having is in the new TAP software I'm told, and I am sure that it will be resolved in due course.

In the meantime it is indeed more than annoying for the customers.

I will tell you that the facility seemed modest in size given the geography that it covers. 

IkarusJohn & LeicaPassion,   I mentioned in my above Post #45 the most recent timeline for sending my Monochrom for sensor replacement to Wetzlar from Australia.  I just received my Monochrom from Leica on July 12th.  Customer Service at Wetzlar did an amazing job...the camera looks almost brand new and certainly the CCD sensor and board is just that too.  On top of that, email communications was excellent as well.  All told from mailing on May 29th to July 12th, excluding 15 days shipping and 8 business days in German Customs (normal), the turnaround time at Wetzlar was approximately 18 days.  IMO opinion, it was super service.  Now, if I had sent the camera to Leica Repair in New Jersey, it would have gone into the black hole for many, many months.  All I can say, if you want excellent customer service, send your Leica gear directly to Wetzlar.  r/ Mark

Yep, mine went to Wetzlar.

If you look to the left of this text, under the picture, you'll see I'm not in the US - no reason to use Leica NJ. Somewhere above, I posted my timeline - sent in early May, arrived in Germany 31 May, into the repair queue 9 July, and waiting.

After opting for the upgrade last week to a m246 a week goes by and I don't hear anything.... called back in today and turns out that they don't have any m246's in stock... "there must have been a glitch in the system" is what I heard when they said that it looked like it was in stock.

Now I don't blame the people there at NJ... they were dealt a losing hand from the beginning.  I think the mothership needs to give more support or fix their systems.

As for voicing my displeasure to Leica Germany to HQ, how would I go about doing that?