Monochrom Sensor Replacement Experience

Luke_Miller

Advertisement (gone after registration)

In 2014 my Monochrom  began to develop corrosion spots.  Fortunately they were not severe enough to show in my images, so I was able to continue shooting with it.  Since the sensor with the new cover glass was not available for the Monochrom I did not want to send it in and get another of the original sensors.

In February of this year (after the new sensors were announced as available) I emailed Leica New Jersey to see if I could reserve a place in the sensor replacement queue.  I received a prompt reply that I was on the list and would be notified when it was time to send my body in.  On June 24th I received a pre-paid UPS label.  Leica received my Monochrom on June 27th and yesterday (July 26) they notified me that the sensor had been replaced and the camera had been cleaned and adjusted at no charge.

I'm very satisfied with the support by Leica NJ. While the whole sensor corrosion issue with the M9/Monochrom/M-E is unfortunate, I think Leica has done an excellent job in responding and taking care of its customers.

• Like 3

Hi Luke,

while still in Houston, my MM1 developed spots as well. Got the sensor replaced early this year.

same for me, very satisfied with the service and quality of work.

You waited 6 months and the repair still took 4 weeks. That is extreme patience on your part. But hey, everyone's standards vary. 

They typically do a good job and I have not had to return any lenses or cameras after repair, which is excellent. They are just slow.

You waited 6 months and the repair still took 4 weeks. That is extreme patience on your part. But hey, everyone's standards vary. 

I had the use of the camera for those 6 months.  In fact some of my best images were taken during that period.  The corrosion spots did not affect my images.

I understood that and I think it is great that you are that patient. My point is that after that long wait it still took them a month to turn around the repair.

The actual work takes a day max.

What were they doing the other 26 days (accounted for shipping)?

I sound negative but it drives me crazy when people are satisfied and happy with poor service. I love my Leica cameras and lenses and this is the last piece of the puzzle for me. If they corrected the service and repair they (Leica) would be perfect to me. Obviously just one persons opinion but I have very high expectations.

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I want to acknowledge that this is a Leica NJ issue, not Leica as a company. From what I understand in the forums and talking to other photographers that live in and around Germany, the mothership is much quicker at turning around repairs.

It is also more than just slow lead times, communication is an issue with these folks. I think that may be changing as I was told they are hiring additional help and expanding.

It is also more than just slow lead times, communication is an issue with these folks. I think that may be changing as I was told they are hiring additional help and expanding.

I'd just as soon have the "new guy" work on someone else's camera. :)

I want to acknowledge that this is a Leica NJ issue, not Leica as a company. From what I understand in the forums and talking to other photographers that live in and around Germany, the mothership is much quicker at turning around repairs.

I wasn't too thrilled with the time my repair took, but in fairness to Lecia NJ they were at the mercy of Wetzler in terms of when and how many of the new sensors were doled out to the repair shops. And I have to imagine the company took a bath on the Monochrom repair, which is basically a huge product recall for them.

• 2 months later...

My experience with sensor replacement (M9 & Monochrom) at Leica USA is that the quality of the work is excellent.  The wait time and poor communication are frustrating, but the end result is fine.  While Leica Germany minimized the damage to their reputation by standing behind the faulty sensors, Leica USA has made the replacement process much more onerous than it needs to be.

Last September (2015) I began to see the sensor corrosion blooms. I sent my Monochrom up to NJ for CLA service and a sensor replacement. Months dragged by without word on when the replacement would be completed. Finally at the end of January 2016 I received my Monochrom with replacement sensor, not a new sensor, simply a replacement.

Alas, last week, I noticed the return of corrosion spots. I sent an image with the spots up to NJ for them to look at and then to advise me. That was the beginning of the week. Now after two follow up e-mails... to my previous service adviser and then to the general repair e-mail... with still no response from them... I am gritting my teeth. I really don't know what to do. The idea of another 5 month wait really bothers me. The lack of communication now really bothers me. Leica NJ represents Leica in the US. It would take three minutes for someone up their to open up the image and then advise. Whats the problem? If they did not have a monopoly on Leica service they should be out of business. The work they do is very good... the customer service is simply terrible. Harsh... perhaps, if I had an alternative I would take it.

• Like 1

Call them repeatedly and demand to speak to Bill Weier, repair manager. If you explain to him your story he will help expedite your repair.

Follow up by phone to ensure they honor whatever promise they may make you.

If you do this you will have a much better experience even though you shouldn't have to.

• Like 1

Call them repeatedly and demand to speak to Bill Weier, repair manager. If you explain to him your story he will help expedite your repair.

Follow up by phone to ensure they honor whatever promise they may make you.

If you do this you will have a much better experience even though you shouldn't have to.

On my Monday to do list... Thanks

I got into this problem literally today!

I went to the Leica store in London for a sensor cleaning (as spots started appearing on my pictures) and I got the news the sensor needs replacement as that wasn't dust instead corrosion: gutted!

The people here in London are extremely helpful and kind - but the Monochrom is a constant chain of problems it makes me questions how such an expensive camera would be so unreliable. Let's face it, if you buy a Rolls Royce you not expecting to bring the car for repair every season. This is my second time within 1 year and 2 months that I need to send the camera to Germany, first time was due to shutter error now sensor replacement...and the turnaround with Germany is min 6 weeks so is not like a quick fix.

Anyway, my saga starts today I will keep you guys posted. They told me to ring their phone mid November if I wont hear from them...

Back on my M6 now for some weeks...

• 2 weeks later...

I just fetched my three year old M9 Monochrom (S/N 4344xxx) at the Copenhagen Leica shop. It had been to Germany for repairs of sensor crack. The whole affair took 42 days and Leica responded to mails throughout. They replaced the sensor, did a CLA and upgraded the firmware to level 1.012 at no cost. I checked the sensor for dust and it is fine. Well done Leica!

The shop had the new Summaron 28mm f/5.6 – so I got to put it on the camera and take it for a walk. Such a small lens! About 1 cm shorter than the 28mm f/2.8 ASPH and 10 grams lighter. A small gripe, perhaps, the distance setting tab locks at infinity.

I just fetched my three year old M9 Monochrom (S/N 4344xxx) at the Copenhagen Leica shop. It had been to Germany for repairs of sensor crack. The whole affair took 42 days and Leica responded to mails throughout. They replaced the sensor, did a CLA and upgraded the firmware to level 1.012 at no cost. I checked the sensor for dust and it is fine. Well done Leica!

Jan,

Firmware version 1.012 or 1.010?

• 4 weeks later...