DNG Quality

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm really pleased with how the raw images out of the 'Q' stand up to a fair amount of processing.

Here is one I made tonight of the Gay Head Light in Aquinnah, MA on Martha's Vineyard.  

I took 21 separate 5s exposures, all at f/2, manually focused, ISO 800, tripod mounted.  Every time the light would sweep around I tried to capture the stretch where it light up the cliffs on the left.  I then averaged the 21 exposures together in Photoshop in order to reduce noise.  Since this exposure was made over roughly a ten minute period, I had to align the images separately for land and sky or I would have had significant motion blur of the stars.  They were simply merged as separate layers.

Adjustments to brightness, contrast, shadows, and highlights were all made in Lightroom.  White balance was left at the "automatic" value--around 4800K.  No adjustments to saturation.  

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

The Gay Head Light is in the bottom right of the image, of course.  The Andromeda Galaxy is just visible as a fuzzy star near the center of the image just above the midline.  I also captured a tumbling satellite or piece of space junk in one of the frames near the top of the frame as it passed through Cassiopeia.

The 'Q' is a really impressive bit of kit.  I'm very happy with it as a travel/vacation camera.

Thanks for looking.

- Jared

Edited by Jared
  • Like 16