Reimporting User Profile(s)?

I'm confused why this is a big deal ?

I previously never used the profiles because there wasn't a quick means to switch between them.  Now that there is I went and set one up with face detect AF, one with spot AF, one with everything manual (for doing pano's) and one with the monochrome jpeg settings.

It takes like 20 seconds to select the settings you want and then store the profile.  I think it would take an equal amount of time trying to restore them from a SD card, and given that there are new options since FW2.0, importing FW1.X settings, if even possible, would probably result in some incompatibility

• Like 1

I'm confused why this is a big deal ?

I previously never used the profiles because there wasn't a quick means to switch between them.  Now that there is I went and set one up with face detect AF, one with spot AF, one with everything manual (for doing pano's) and one with the monochrome jpeg settings.

It takes like 20 seconds to select the settings you want and then store the profile.  I think it would take an equal amount of time trying to restore them from a SD card, and given that there are new options since FW2.0, importing FW1.X settings, if even possible, would probably result in some incompatibility

Naming the profiles is much more important to me. And having more than 4. I use profiles quit a lot, and will even more so now they can be selected with the FN button.

Export and Import is indeed not such a big deal. It is convenient in two cases: lending out the camera and having 2 (or more) sets of 4 presets for different conditions. I actually use presets a lot and I find myself using the export/import function on the Nikon D810 now and then, but not often. So, naming would be much preferred (by me at least), followed by more than 4 profiles, to export/import.

I already mentioned that indeed, importing across firmware versions could be tricky and not really needed.

Edited by Bart van Hofwegen