Digital Zoom, Lightroom CC, DNG Full Frame Recovery?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

This might be more of a Lightroom question.  In testing the new 2.0 firmware (Amazing, Thank you Leica!). I explored using digital zoom.

The image looks great at 50mm on the Q's LCD and even better in Lightroom.  Even cropped in the camera, this is a great sensor.

I set monochrome on Q (JPEG Saturation to Monochrome) which appears in LCD -- Lightroom displays the DNG's full color.  No problem.

But Lightroom displays the image in its 50mm crop.  While nice, I might want to change the framing in post-production.

Question is trying to restore the image back to the full frame 28mm image... Is this possible?

Thank you everyone, this forum makes the best camera even better!

Use the crop function in Lightroom. You'll see the full image, cropped at 35/50mm equivalent. Only possible for DNG's.

Thank you Tom, but I am trying to see the entire image.  I can crop further in LR with develop/crop but I want to "undo" the crop from the Q's digital zoom.

Strange. Directly after importing them in Lightroom, I only see the cropped version (if I used the crop-modes on the Q for that photo). But I can undo it by using the crop function in LR. After clicking on the crop tool, I see the full image (darkened) with a crop defined. I can use the 9 points around the crop and make it bigger and restore the full 28mm version.

As said it works only with DNG's. They contain the full image, just with some added metadata (I think) for the crop-position that Lightroom will use.

The JPG's are cropped in the camera and can't be undone.

I use Lightroom 2015.6. Today I've upgraded to this version, but the one before (2015.5?) also worked.

Edited by Tom.
  • Like 1

Strange. Directly after importing them in Lightroom, I only see the cropped version (if I used the crop-modes on the Q for that photo). But I can undo it by using the crop function in LR. After clicking on the crop tool, I see the full image (darkened) with a crop defined. I can use the 9 points around the crop and make it bigger and restore the full 28mm version.

As said it works only with DNG's. They contain the full image, just with some added metadata (I think) for the crop-position that Lightroom will use.

The JPG's are cropped in the camera and can't be undone.

I use Lightroom 2015.6. Today I've upgraded to this version, but the one before (2015.5?) also worked.

You are my hero!  Yes indeed, I did not try the tool because I've only ever used it to reduce the view, not expand it to full frame.

This will allow me to shoot with my eye concentrating on the inner 35/50mm view, see the things happening outside the area of concentration, then capture at the perfect moment.  Later in my office, I can "re-crop" or "un-crop" to my eye's delight!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I see the full image (darkened) with a crop defined. I can use the 9 points around the crop and make it bigger and restore the full 28mm version.

No need to pull the points if you want full image just hit the restore button at the bottom of the crop tool drop down box.

Bob