Leica Q Firmware-Update 2.0 - now available

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Updated. Happy to see that I no longer have to shoot DNG plus JPEG, I shoot DNG. Nice to see same menu choice as I had on my Dlux 4. BUT, if I am shooting only DNG does that mean I can't transfer shots directly from my Q to the my iPhone?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Hi

I Was surpised to see the first new image name to be reset to 1000001 after upgrade !

I fixed it as follows:

- edited the SD card on MAC

- renamed the file fom 1000001 to 1010454 (in continuity with my previous folder and image count)

- transfered file 1010454 from folder 100 to folder 101

- deleted folder 100

Worked well.

Excellent!! In the past I saw so many threads around the idea this was not possible  :-)

I'm wondering, if one was to update the firmware using a separate card, then putting back the initial half-filled one, maybe the counting then "just work"!

Thanks again!

H.

Edited by Herve5

Can't get mine back to resuming from L1070267.

Tried...

* re-formatting the card in the camera.

* menu >> Reset image numbering but that just increments new stuff to L101 and then L102 etc

* new image, renumbering it on PC and deleting the 100/101 whatever directory on the card etc

* last image taken on previous firmware (L1070267) back onto the card from PC/archive

* cheap small (16GB) generic SD

* usual expensive 128GB Extreme Pro

V2 firmware cannot be persuaded to RESUME my Q's image numbering eg from its own history:~/

Unreasonable?

• Like 1

Excellent!! In the past I saw so many threads around the idea this was not possible  :-)

I'm wondering, if one was to update the firmware using a separate card, then putting back the initial half-filled one, maybe the counting then "just work"!

Thanks again!

H.

Logical. Actually, that *is* exactly what I did and my Q's v2 firmware did not resume image numbering. Still doesn't despite my efforts. Edited by piran

Workaround: unexpected image renumbering back to square one.

menu >> Reset image numbering

Have to do this 'incrementally'... the OS won't act on more than one incremental change concurrently. So, two bugs in one... Workaround to the workaround is to take a picture in between incremental dives back into the menu.

Have had to jump mine to L108... in order to avoid duplicates.

Kind of messy:~/

(in 20mins I have to hit the road)

So good to see that a number of members have figured out how to operate the new features. Some of them really puzzled me, such as the focus point size adjustment using the delete key + wheel. Thanks a lot!

But it also makes me wonder if there really is no manual addendum somewhere that describes these things, or are we really expected to find all of this out ourselves? The user manual is dated 22/7/2016 but has not been updated. I find that a bit "cheap" for a company such as Leica. Mind you, I own other brands and not many of them behave any better, but Leica...

Anyone know of a useful "how to" description of the new features ?

• Like 2

I'm having problems with the firmware update.  I download the file: "Q116_200.quf" I open it and the only thing I get is a bunch of optional software. Does anyone have the same problem?

Thanks,

Hektor

I think you should really read the instructions that are available for download on the Leica support site, along with the firmware.

In short:

- Make sure your battery is 100% full (not a bit less or it won't work)

- Format an SD card in camera. Switch it off and remove the card.

- Copy the .quf file to the root directory of the card using your computer.

- Put the card back in the camera, press and hold down the record video button while switching on the camera

- Answer "yes" to the update firmware question

- Do NOT, I repeat not switch off the camera until the camera tells you to do so on the LCD after the update has finished

But please, read the instructions. Good luck!

Am I missing something, what is the EVF extended mode added?

Previously, you had the options to doing everything (shooting, viewing, menu) in the EVF or on the LCD. This includes an "auto" setting that uses the sensor next to the EVF to switch between the two.

Extended mode is primarily for EVF shooters, you use the EVF for shooting and the LCD for menus and viewing. In rest, both are off. The EVF is switched on when the sensor detects your face next to it. Pressing "menu" or "play" switches to the LCD for menu interaction or photo viewing. Try it and you will see.

Personally, I like this. I am a typical viewfinder shooter, but navigating the menus and viewing photos in the EVF is not really very comfortable.

• Like 1

Thank you...one more thing.

Then what is "off"?

to me camera Thumbwheel is functioning same when it is in "off' & "auto".....or i have not understood fully.

good if Leica comes out with New Instruction Manual after update 2.0....

Exposure compensation is not activated by the thumbwheel when it is set to off.

• Like 1

Extended mode is primarily for EVF shooters, you use the EVF for shooting and the LCD for menus and viewing. In rest, both are off. The EVF is switched on when the sensor detects your face next to it. Pressing "menu" or "play" switches to the LCD for menu interaction or photo viewing. Try it and you will see.

Except as noted by others the LCD is not turned on when you use the FN or ISO buttons.

I also could not get the image number reset to work so compromised by going to the "next" folder number.   It's fitting, I suppose, that coincidentally images taken with firmware 2.0 will start with L1020001.

Anybody understand how this works? Reverting from what?

"The Face Detection function has also been optimised: as soon as a face is detected, AF now automatically reverts to multi-field autofocus mode."

According to DPReview, this is what it means - "Face detection also now reverts to multi-area AF when no face is detected in the scene." So I would guess that if you have Menu > Focus > AF mode set to Face Detection then it will be overridden to Multi-Point

https://goo.gl/OlRz42

It would appear the original statement forgot the NO

Edited by wellfleet

In the extended-EVF mode, the delay for the EVF to come on after raising the viewfinder to eye level is very real and awkward (EVF activation sensitivity already set to high). 

You see, in the old EVF-only mode, the EVF was either already on or can be turned on by half-press on the shutter button. By the time my eye is anywhere close to the viewfinder, I can already see the scene.

But now, in the extended-EVF mode, the EVF only comes on when it's activated by having an eye in front of it. This delayed activation means staring at a black viewfinder for an uncomfortable, albeit brief, moment. This has real impact for primarily EVF shooters such as me.

I wish Leica had implemented the extended-EVF mode as such: half-press on the shutter switches on the EVF and turns off the LCD. Comments?

I would make this item number one in my Firmware 2.1 wishlist.

-alex

• Like 1

I wish Leica had implemented the extended-EVF mode as such: half-press on the shutter switches on the EVF and turns off the LCD. Comments?

Yes, agreed. Either by shutter button or sensor. That would certainly be an improvement. I will put it on my list as well.

I used "auto" because I did not like making menu changes on the EVF, so I am "used" to the sluggish activation time.

Except as noted by others the LCD is not turned on when you use the FN or ISO buttons.

I also could not get the image number reset to work so compromised by going to the "next" folder number.   It's fitting, I suppose, that coincidentally images taken with firmware 2.0 will start with L1020001.

"Except as noted by others the LCD is not turned on when you use the FN or ISO buttons."

I discovered this behaviour too, and it's wrong (imho)!

In the extended-EVF mode, the delay for the EVF to come on after raising the viewfinder to eye level is very real and awkward (EVF activation sensitivity already set to high).

You see, in the old EVF-only mode, the EVF was either already on or can be turned on by half-press on the shutter button. By the time my eye is anywhere close to the viewfinder, I can already see the scene.

But now, in the extended-EVF mode, the EVF only comes on when it's activated by having an eye in front of it. This delayed activation means staring at a black viewfinder for an uncomfortable, albeit brief, moment. This has real impact for primarily EVF shooters such as me.

I would make this item number one in my Firmware 2.1 wishlist.

-alex

While this is true, you don't have to use EVF extended and still can use EVF only which stays on permanently. Edited by Voxen