Does the new Leica R to L adapter make lens ID automatic?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The new adapter presents information to the SL over the SL's electronic interface.  In the present two step stack, the R to M adapter showed a fixed 6-bit code that means "R to M adapter," and the M to L adapter passes that information along to the SL, which can then (if you push the right button) show a list of R lenses, from which you select what you are using.  My assumption, and probably that of many others, was that the new adapter would pass along the actual R lens identity and the SL either was already able to read this extra information, or with some new firmware, would be able to automatically set the lens profile to the R lens that is mounted.

But the one video I have seen in which the new adapter is demonstrated (in Italian, so I don't know what the dialog added), showed the process going to the same list of R lenses as before.  Andreas, or others, what lens id function is promised for the new adapter?  Will there be a firmware upgrade to support it? The material released so far is vague on this point.

scott

• Like 1

I conjecture that information from ROM lenses is transferred automatically and settings made, just like for coded M lenses. 3-cam and R-only lenses do not have any way to transmit lens info to the body so you'll have to use the lens profiles menu for them.

Edited by ramarren

With the new adapter the SL automatically uses the right lens-data (assuming you have a ROM R-lens). So no need to access the R-lens menu to set the right lens. The camera also automatically recognises which zoom-setting is being used with my R 21-35 Vario lens (e.g. 21, 28 etc...). This setting also shows in the viewfinder.

I have firmware 2.0, and the adapter comes with an orange sticker on one of the caps to not use it with firmware below 2.0.

Trust this helps.

ps. it comes with a support to use on a tripod.

pps. the adapter does not transmit aperture, as someone else already mentioned in one of the other posts. The camera estimates the aperture used, similarly as with a "dumb" adapter. In my experience this estimate can be improved by rotating the aperture ring from fully open to fully closed and back again. But I usually do not bother.

Edited by Hans Stinis
  • Like 3