Buying SL 601 body first or the kit with standard lens 24-90

Yuhau

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My eyesight is certainly not as good as it was thirty years ago, but it was never particularly great to begin with—I've worn glasses since I was in fourth grade. I have no trouble focusing either the M or the SL, so far. The SL is certainly easier to obtain critical focus with in some circumstances but I only occasionally use AF, despite having and using the SL24-90 lens. I like focusing manually and feel I generally get my fastest handling and best results that way.

I sometimes get the feeling that some photographers today simply want the camera to do everything for them, and want to blame the camera when they don't get exactly what they had in mind. But this statement probably puts me right into the "olde curmudgeon" niche...  :rolleyes: 

"Hey, you kids! Get off the lawn!"  :D 

• Like 1

Thank you , all of you . Your comments are invaluable and greatly appreciated .  I do enjoy travelling light being a retiree ( over 65). I  do mostly  landscape as well as street photography. The equipment being discreet will be important  and also  i have to bring along a  backup camera either M240 or a T, with one common set of lenses if possible . Hence, I now have to really look at the camera bag size  and do some math on the total weight :) .

In the mean time,  I hope I can negotiate  with the dealer to buy the camera now with option to honour the kit deal within  a week or so. In the mean time, I shall seek the opportunity  to  try out the 24/90 .     

I use a combination of Leica SL w/ 24-90mm and Leica Q for walkaround purposes.

Before I used the Leica Q and Leica T w/ 18-56mm.

The SL is obviously heavier, so whereas before I used a messenger bag I now tend to use a small backpack.

I wouldn't worry too much about it.  The 24-90mm is an excellent lens and it might be all you need.

I agree with the thrust of the comments above. I originally did not bother with the 24-90 because it was large and conspicuous. In the event, I got one and enjoy using it outdoors, when it is lighter and more convenient than lugging around a range of primes.it also performs much better than I was expecting. AF is a bonus.

I now tend to use the M primes indoors, as they are faster, despite the OIS, or when I need a particular look, or when I don't want to be seen with something so big.

As some have said, the total weight of the SL and zoom isn't any more than carrying a set of primes for the M. With the zoom you'll also avoid changing lenses which means less missing shots, dust on the sensor and less fumbling around in the dark changing lenses. Add a WATE and you can cover most travel and everything the M can, with just two lenses. You won't be compromising image quality to do so.

On the other side, if you're carrying an M then you'll already be carrying those lenses. You'll also miss out on faster apertures, if you use those. You *may* be a bit more conspicuous.

Personally, I got the camera first and the zoom later. I should have just got them together as I prefer the convenience and utility of the AF to a bag of lenses when I travel. My travel kit is now the SL, WATE, 24-90 plus an M and a couple of fast primes (In my case a 50mm Summilux only). That's the balance I've come to for my own purposes. In fact the SL/Zooms has caused me to pair back my M kit considerably to a much lighter/smaller kit as it's become the scalpel to compliment the broadsword that is the SL.

While the M will always have a place, the SL quickly became my main and preferred system. It's not like shooting an M but it's a satisfying camera to use in its own right. I would recommend you spend as much time as possible in the shop trying out all the lenses and adaptors before leaving the shop without the zoom. I'd even suggest you take the whole morning to walk around after purchasing the body and take photos (get your dealer to charge the battery for you) using your M lenses and then decide if you want to go home without the zoom.

Gordon

• Like 2

Tragically, we all have to deal with diminishing eyesight, and in that case I would definitely buy the zoom.  High ISO performance with the SL is very good up to about ISO 12,800.  

Of course if you really want to deal with radically lowering size and weight, consider the Q.  That has excellent autofocus, and as you probably know word of mouth on the camera could hardly be better.

If you don't mind me asking, what kind of discount were they offering to bundle the SL and the zoom?  I would really love a SL, but the combined staggering price of the body + lens is a huge impediment, alas.

Actually the price difference is only $300 .That is not a real deal breaker . But in my predicament , I won't be in the position to purchase the kit lens should I need it ,...being away abroad for two months . Hence I want to make the right decision in the next day or so .

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Actually the price difference is only $300 .That is not a real deal breaker . But in my predicament , I won't be in the position to purchase the kit lens should I need it ,...being away abroad for two months . Hence I want to make the right decision in the next day or so .

Leica Store Miami has a "Certified Pre-Owned" SL and 24-90 zoom for sale.  Looks like the total discount for both is about $2k so the total price is a hair above $10k.  Maybe the lens would be of more interest to you with a $1k discount for a used model?  If they are in perfect condition, as used stuff from the Leica store often is, might be worth considering.  I also think used prices might be a bit more negotiable than new.

• Like 1

Leica Store Miami has a "Certified Pre-Owned" SL and 24-90 zoom for sale.  Looks like the total discount for both is about $2k so the total price is a hair above $10k.  

A new one can be purchased from the Hong Kong stores and shipped anywhere for less than $10k.

Leica Store Miami has a "Certified Pre-Owned" SL and 24-90 zoom for sale.  Looks like the total discount for both is about $2k so the total price is a hair above $10k.  Maybe the lens would be of more interest to you with a $1k discount for a used model?  If they are in perfect condition, as used stuff from the Leica store often is, might be worth considering.  I also think used prices might be a bit more negotiable than new.

I bought both my M and SL from them. Both were "certified pre-owned" and new in original boxes from Leica, not from a consumer. Did the same for a M 35 Summilux. All have full warranty and I have had no problems with any of them. There is a special code Leica has for these items, but I forgot what it is. 

My 2 cents:

Atlhough deteriorating eyesight is a given with advancing age, I find that people who have never used glasses for distance, often need reading glasses earlier than those who are short sighted (require glasses for distance). For me, I find that that ever since I started using reading glasses, its rather cumbersome to focus manually (despite the options for focus peaking and zooming/enlarging options in the EVF) and chimp to check the image. Rather this chimping/checking the image for sharpness which is causing me problems, (the EVF has diopter options), as I need to use reading glasses to check the display. This does not deter me from using MF lenses, it just makes me slower  :) However, weight becomes a concern and a priority in camera and lens purchase decision.

• Like 1

My 2 cents:

Atlhough deteriorating eyesight is a given with advancing age, I find that people who have never used glasses for distance, often need reading glasses earlier than those who are short sighted (require glasses for distance). For me, I find that that ever since I started using reading glasses, its rather cumbersome to focus manually (despite the options for focus peaking and zooming/enlarging options in the EVF) and chimp to check the image. Rather this chimping/checking the image for sharpness which is causing me problems, (the EVF has diopter options), as I need to use reading glasses to check the display. This does not deter me from using MF lenses, it just makes me slower :) However, weight becomes a concern and a priority in camera and lens purchase decision.

My right eye has always had a bit of astigmatism, my left eye a lot plus nearsightedness... As I aged, I lost the ability to focus close in both eyes. I wear progressive glasses now. If I don't wear my glasses, the SL's diopter adjustment is just enough to allow me to see well enough to focus.

It's best not to chimp, to simply learn to focus confidently and not worry about it. With practice comes confidence. I don't chimp at all, rather I'll look at my captures on the camera LCD or through the EVF later, after I'm done shooting, or view them on an iPad.

Edited by ramarren
  • Like 1

Guest Benqui

You have seen many different opinions and everyone has his special reasons. I do not like these big zooms for my kind of photography (I am sure they are superb), but especially für travelling, I do not want to carry it the whole day long. I will wait for other lenses which will come. Right now I use my M-lenses and they are really superb on the SL. Especially the 135mm is perfect for portraits. And with the small 1.4/35 ("pre asph") you have a perfect street camera. But I am sure the Mate is also a perfect tool for travelling

best regards

Marc

Edited by Benqui
  • Like 1

I have the SL body since December and never felt the need to buy the 24-90. To be honest, I already had many M and R lenses, including four R Vario's.

The SL replaced the M for me and I have now more pleasure with the R lenses on the SL than I ever had with them on the R cameras.

The day there will be SL extenders available I believe I will replace the Canon AF bodies and lenses with the SL 90-280.

I am currently on safari in SA with the Canon's and I really miss the SL EVF, handling and results.

I was so accustomed to the SL EVF that I am making many mistakes using again SLR's.

Mirrors are so outdated.

;)

• Like 3

You have seen many different opinions and everyone has his special reasons. I do not like these big zooms for my kind of photography (I am sure they are superb), but especially für travelling, I do not want to carry it the whole day long. I will wait for other lenses which will come. Right now I use my M-lenses and they are really superb on the SL. Especially the 135mm is perfect for portraits. And with the small 1.4/35 ("pre asph") you have a perfect street camera. But I am sure the Mate is also a perfect tool for travelling

best regards

Marc

You already mentioned 3 primes, so weight wise you won't gain much (if anything at all) over the 24-90, image quality wise also little (if anything at all).

The only reason to not take the 24-90 would the more discreet character of the M lenses IMHO which is obviously very important for street photography.

Best, Joris.

I bought the SL Body initially to use with my range of M lenses and the one 35-70mm R lens I have. I hated the size of the 24-90 and could never see myself buying one. However, after using the SL for three months or so and reading all the glowing reports about the 24-90, I felt I was missing out by not having the autofocus function and a dedicated lens and so bought one. I still hate the size of the lens but the results are spectacular. Really not having the lens is like buying a Porsche and only driving it at 30mph. We leave on trip to Canada in about ten days and certainly the 24-90 will be in the bag, despite its size and weight.

Cheers, Tom

• Like 1

I bought the sl for my M lenses first, and then discovered the pluses that the 24-90 would provide... And jumped. No regrets so far. I keep my M lenses on the SL for non intrusive photography low light and super wide angle...

Edited by kikouyou