Leica Q Product Life Cycle

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Is there any data or indication as to when the Q is likely to be replaced with a new model?

How long is a typical electronic Leica product life cycle?  Or do we know?

I'm close to pulling the trigger on one, and would like to know about how long I will have before I would want to upgrade to a new one, so I can time my purchase as well as possible.

Thanks!

David

With Leica it's always difficult to say, but I don't think there will be a direct successor anytime soon. It just wouldn't make too much sense, as there is really nothing (aside from maybe more MP) to improve on the Q right now. 

What I can imagine however, is that they will come out with another Q with a different lens. Something along the lines of a 35 / 40 / 50 or even a slight tele or zoom (X-vario..) 

Most of the R&D for the Q has been done, firmware is still being improved upon, since I don't think prices will drop anytime soon either, it's safe to say you'll be fine to buy now.

If the only thing from keeping you to do that is the focal length, you might want to consider waiting a bit longer, at least until Photokina. 

And I suppose the fact that they are currently selling more than they can make is probably not exactly compelling them to finish a new model just yet ... Of course they are working on it, but they have the luxury to get it right instead of fast.  

Their new firmware upgrade seems to be fixing a surprisingly high percentage of the rather minimal consumer complaints, too.  Compare this to the results of Thom Hogan's screaming and ranting about how inept Nikon is makes me pretty impressed with Leica.  I know Leica charges an arm and a leg for their products, but they actually seem to, ulp, listen their customers and treat them well.

I'm actually cool with the 28mm lens.  I have a feeling I'll really like it.  I find the field of view on the X-U, with a 35mm FOV, to be a bit narrow.  And since I'm not much for printing, I have plenty of resolution to kill if I want to crop the images.  If I need a telephoto image, I'll grab my D5.

The Canon 5D Mark III is being replaced only now, nearly four and a half years after it was released. Leica can't keep up with the demand for the Q a year later, even though the SL is on shelves today. The really successful cameras don't get refreshed every two minutes; the companies have no incentive to mess with success. Sony on the other hand...I can't keep all their models straight, so I kind of glaze over when people talk about them. I think Leica will keep the Q as is for at least two more years. Frankly, the more I use mine, the more I love it. I can't imagine how they could possibly improve it, especially if that laundry list of firmware improvements is true. I'll be buying a 5D IV, but I won't love it the way I love my Q.

• Like 2

Everything about the Q is ideal: the pop of the JPG's for quick work, the size, the capabilities, the weight, the way functions are laid out, etc.

Sure, I can imagine many would like to have a native 35mm on the body...but I would not like to have it if it meant making the camera bigger or heavier than it is.

According to comments from Leica  reported here, that is also why they went for the present lens design, and that is why I am happy to carry the Q everywhere: museum, outside, garden, hiking, beach, etc. Actually this is what the first Leica's were all about: portability combined with excellent rendition.

Anyhow, as long as they can service it years down the road, I will be happy to keep using mine even if all kinds of iterations come out in future.

I secretly think that in a way, the Leica Q will be seen as the M3 of Leica's digital offerings (yes, yes, I know it is not a rangefinder!) when people look back on it from the future

Edited by sumolux
  • Like 1

Is there any data or indication as to when the Q is likely to be replaced with a new model?

How long is a typical electronic Leica product life cycle?  Or do we know?

I'm close to pulling the trigger on one, and would like to know about how long I will have before I would want to upgrade to a new one, so I can time my purchase as well as possible.

Thanks!

David

This camera is almost perfect, why would you wait for an hypothetical upgrade when the Q is available right now?

The photos this camera produce are magnificent and unless you are a grand master it is plenty enough for you as it is.

Buy it now and enjoy ;)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Frankly, what would you want in an upgraded version?  I suppose the Sony chips are a touch better in their noise characteristics, but the current CMOS chip is no slouch.  A different focal length?  That's not an upgrade, it's just a different camera. It's a valid reason to skip getting the current 'Q', though, if you just don't want a 28mm.  What else could be better?  The autofocus is excellent--easily good enough for the subjects you are likely to shoot with a wide angle.  The controls are extremely well laid out, are comfortable to operate, and are intuitive enough that you almost don't need an owner's manual.  The image quality from the lens/chip combination is absolutely first rate.  The quality of construction is first rate.  What would you want them to change?

Upon reflection, I suppose there are a couple things I would want different, but they are really niggles more than anything.  I would want the camera to be weather proof, and I would want the quality of the optical viewfinder to be better.  I'm spoiled by my SL's viewfinder.  I would particularly want the optics themselves in the viewfinder improved--unless the eye is perfectly centered in the viewfinder the optical quality is terrible.  That's about it--I can honestly say I can't think of a thing I would change.  The 'Q' isn't the perfect camera for every situation, but for situations where it is well suited it really excels.

- Jared

• Like 1

Thanks to all the great replies!  And I thought this was the cynical forum, filled with haters ... I guess the Q really is a special camera! :)

The Canon 5D Mark III is being replaced only now, nearly four and a half years after it was released. Leica can't keep up with the demand for the Q a year later, even though the SL is on shelves today. The really successful cameras don't get refreshed every two minutes; the companies have no incentive to mess with success. Sony on the other hand...I can't keep all their models straight, so I kind of glaze over when people talk about them. I think Leica will keep the Q as is for at least two more years. Frankly, the more I use mine, the more I love it. I can't imagine how they could possibly improve it, especially if that laundry list of firmware improvements is true. I'll be buying a 5D IV, but I won't love it the way I love my Q.

I'm the type of person who likes to be up to the microsecond in technology, thus this question.  I wouldn't feel good if Leica introduced a Q2 five minutes after I bought my Q.  As Dadohead so rightly points out above, of course Sony is far more likely to introduce a RX1R III five minutes after I bought my RX1R II.  Curiously enough, if Leica's philosophy of getting things right the first time mean more leisurely upgrade cycles, I might spend less as a Leica customer as I would a Sony customer, which would be pretty darn funny, no?

I'm the type of person who likes to be up to the microsecond in technology, thus this question.  I wouldn't feel good if Leica introduced a Q2 five minutes after I bought my Q.

What about photography in all this non sense? Sorry if I sound rude but I think you completely miss the point of Leica, which is making simple cameras to help us focus on photography instead of running the tech race.

What about photography in all this non sense? Sorry if I sound rude but I think you completely miss the point of Leica, which is making simple cameras to help us focus on photography instead of running the tech race.

Your post made me chuckle.  You are right, of course, but as a computer geek in a previous life, some bad habits are hard to break.

Perhaps the Q is the start of something truly new.  Perfection? Nope, but quite close.

I don't use autofocus all that much and I absolutely love the Q manual focus -- enough so that the only "Upgrade" for me would be a Q that had an M lens mount.

I could attach a 50mm or 75mm when necessary.  Yes, that would mean the loss of the silent shutter inside the current Q's 28.

So maybe I am describing a new M -- one with our a rangefinder; one using the magnificent EVF of the Q.

Perhaps the Q is the start of something truly new.  Perfection? Nope, but quite close.

I don't use autofocus all that much and I absolutely love the Q manual focus -- enough so that the only "Upgrade" for me would be a Q that had an M lens mount.

I could attach a 50mm or 75mm when necessary.  Yes, that would mean the loss of the silent shutter inside the current Q's 28.

So maybe I am describing a new M -- one with our a rangefinder; one using the magnificent EVF of the Q.

Aren't you really describing the SL?  I believe it has an even better electronic viewfinder than the Q.

I have a simple philosophy in life ...

1)   Do I want it?

2)   Can I afford it?

If the answer to both these questions is in the affirmative ... I treat myself  :)

If there's a 'no' to one of the questions then I won't bother!

Simples ...

• Like 4

Aren't you really describing the SL?  I believe it has an even better electronic viewfinder than the Q.

I would love to try the SL -but- the M has always been the best street camera where the SL appears to be a larger, general purpose DSLR replacement.

SL is autofocus and loaded with every feature imaginable.  The new M(Q) would continue the manual focus, small, stealth body with optimized large aperture lenses.

I love shooting a Canon DSLR with 24-70 2.8L lens. The SL could replace it unless the unannounced EOS 5D-4 eclipses it.

But none of these replaces the M or the Q (IMHO) -- I would love one small body with perfect sensor, a 28mm 1.7 mounted and a 50mm 1.4 small enough for a jacket pocket.

Yep, I am a Summilux kind of photographer.

• Like 1

I would love to try the SL -but- the M has always been the best street camera where the SL appears to be a larger, general purpose DSLR replacement.

SL is autofocus and loaded with every feature imaginable.  The new M(Q) would continue the manual focus, small, stealth body with optimized large aperture lenses.

I love shooting a Canon DSLR with 24-70 2.8L lens. The SL could replace it unless the unannounced EOS 5D-4 eclipses it.

But none of these replaces the M or the Q (IMHO) -- I would love one small body with perfect sensor, a 28mm 1.7 mounted and a 50mm 1.4 small enough for a jacket pocket.

Yep, I am a Summilux kind of photographer.

I've just been getting interested in Leica.  I'm so used to handling a big DSLR (I own a Nikon D5) that the size and weight issue simply did not occur to me, even though smaller size and weight is a big reason I'm attracted to Leica.  The SL, you see, is a lightweight compared to the D5 :).  But now that I've compared the size and weight of the two cameras, I can see why lovers of the M are not happy with the SL.

So you don't necessarily need the old-style rangefinder system, you are willing to go modern with the magnification and focus peaking of the Q, but you still want the small and light body of the M or M-equivalent - or, better yet - a Q-sized body because you are leaving out the rangefinder.  It seems clear that there will be demand for such a camera, since a sizable percentage of SL users like using the old manual focus lenses.  And one bit of good news for Leica is that their traditional customers not only want this camera, they are willing to pay for it.

Is this correct?  If it is, I hope Leica has gone to work on such a camera.  I don't think I would personally want it, but I think it would make them a ton of money ... and I like seeing my favorite camera makers financially healthy.

• Like 1

I am just more and more impressed and appreciate the Q for what it does as I shoot....it gets out of the way, and the IQ is just spectacular.  The 28mm has been a go to for me for some time on an M, however, if Leica introduced a Q40 - 40mm 1.4 fixed lens - that's it - game over for my M.  Two Q bodies with optimized lenses at 28 and 40 is about all I need in a small bag for good...until the Q Monochrom 60 comes out heh heh.

Edited by msbel
  • Like 1

Being the Q is only a year old, wouldn't expect to see a new version from Leica for couple more years or longer. That being said, I am continuously impressed by this camera. Much more so than thought I would be having shot with M cameras for over 20 years. It is I think as close to perfection given the current technology as one could ask for, for a fixed length. Great design! And the photos, what is there not to like? Superb! For me has become my go to for color and for travel. My M246 fills my monochrome needs, but the Q does wonderfully there as well. I traded in my 240 for the Q and no regrets. Not even interested in the next M....unless a new monochrome follows it. If they come out though with a q 50, I would jump on it and still keep my Q 28. It's a keeper for certain.

• Like 2

To be honest there is really little to be improved on mechanically though I would like to see a fully wethersealed body so I imagine it could be around for a good long while

it's good to be honest :-)

Perhaps I am reading too much into it, but I would point out that the dropdown menu on the Leica site already tells us something about Q iterations....

That is to say: you choose the camera from the dropdown menu in downloads (Leica Q) and then go the submenu (Leica type 116) then choose the object of your search.

Whereas for the SL, first choice is 'SL Cameras" (plural)

Can't see the point of mentioning 'cameras' in plural if there are not to be more SL's

And this profiles the use of the singular for the Leica Q

Just some coffee-time chat   B)