First Post, hopefully a good question

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi this is my first post, beyond the intro post. Hopefully i can contribute to this community

First a bit of background, I consider myself a serious amateur, there was a time when in college I used to work on the side shooting small events like engagement parties, family portraits, and the usual small family style event below 100 people. Mostly used that to pay for newer and "cooler gear" and have some spending money in college. Needless to say i acquired a serious case of GAS( Gear acquisition Syndrome). As is started to work more i found i had less time for photography but would still try and get as much as possible. One day i went to take out my full frame nikon DSLR and with the my set of 2.8 zooms for a day of shooting and notice a little white stuff on my gear and realized my camera was gathering dust, and i couldnt believe i became one of those people. I realized i had to change something and realized a camera had to be an accessory to my current lifestyle and my lifestyle couldnt be around the camera gear. So three years ago i sold the majority of my gear only keeping a cropped dlsr and one general zoom a macro and a flash, and purchased a leica M 240 with a 50 lux. I would say it really took me a good year to really get into rangefinder, than a short while ago i purchased a used 28mm elmarit, and thats when things really blew up. I fell in love with this focal length and now the camera doesnt leave my side and its finally with me every where i go which was the main reason i downsized to begin with and love it.

And now the big question

As much as i enjoy using the 50 lux it is not my preffered focal length and i realize i would like to go wider majority of the time but i do not want to sell this lens either. At the same time the 28 elmarit i find limiting in low light with 2.8 maxing out the iso at 3200 on the M. So now im not sure what to do, on one hand i can get a 35 lux, although i havent had that lens i think that will be a more practical focal length than spending the money on a 28mm lux. Overall i love the elmarit and dont want to sell it.

So my question really is am i crazy to buy a leica Q as my low light 28mm and often walk around camera, with photokina right around the corner.

Or maybe splurge on a 35 lux knowing whatever new body comes out hopefully in September this will be a good fit for.

Or should just tough it out and wait till september however painful.

I know this calls for an opinionated answer but i need some well balanced opinions from people who have more experience with using all this gear.

Thank you all for your help 

Tough question. I have Q and M and also 28mm Summicron. I never much cared for that lens on the M, but am liking 28mm on the Q. Much more than thought I would. But still, if my goal was to just get a wider lens, think I would go for the 35 or 28 Summilux rather than the Q. The Q is great. But if you like the M and it is inspiring you to shoot, go for an M lens. The bodies will change but you will always have that lens.

I have the M-P 240, with the 28mm cron, 35mm and more recently the 50mm lux.  I love wide angle pics but have learned to truly appreciate the shallow DOF of the 50mm.  It changed my perspective.  As such, I am now drawn to the 50mm where in the past I always went with the 28mm (and I primarily do street photography).  But I also got the Q as a possible replacement camera.  It is a wonderful camera and great for when I want to go out and just shoot or if I know that I may be under the gun to quickly setup and take pictures.  But I do at times use manual focus and ALWAYS keep then lens wide open as that's what the lens is all about.  In comparing pictures, I personally think the Q comes very close (I only use DMG on both cameras) to the M-P, however there is something about a picture taken with the M-P/50mm lux that really draws me to that camera.  I think the Q is a great backup camera or first Leica but I agree with the earlier post that the Q is not an M. 

Hi this is my first post, beyond the intro post. Hopefully i can contribute to this community

First a bit of background, I consider myself a serious amateur, there was a time when in college I used to work on the side shooting small events like engagement parties, family portraits, and the usual small family style event below 100 people. Mostly used that to pay for newer and "cooler gear" and have some spending money in college. Needless to say i acquired a serious case of GAS( Gear acquisition Syndrome). As is started to work more i found i had less time for photography but would still try and get as much as possible. One day i went to take out my full frame nikon DSLR and with the my set of 2.8 zooms for a day of shooting and notice a little white stuff on my gear and realized my camera was gathering dust, and i couldnt believe i became one of those people. I realized i had to change something and realized a camera had to be an accessory to my current lifestyle and my lifestyle couldnt be around the camera gear. So three years ago i sold the majority of my gear only keeping a cropped dlsr and one general zoom a macro and a flash, and purchased a leica M 240 with a 50 lux. I would say it really took me a good year to really get into rangefinder, than a short while ago i purchased a used 28mm elmarit, and thats when things really blew up. I fell in love with this focal length and now the camera doesnt leave my side and its finally with me every where i go which was the main reason i downsized to begin with and love it.

And now the big question

As much as i enjoy using the 50 lux it is not my preffered focal length and i realize i would like to go wider majority of the time but i do not want to sell this lens either. At the same time the 28 elmarit i find limiting in low light with 2.8 maxing out the iso at 3200 on the M. So now im not sure what to do, on one hand i can get a 35 lux, although i havent had that lens i think that will be a more practical focal length than spending the money on a 28mm lux. Overall i love the elmarit and dont want to sell it.

So my question really is am i crazy to buy a leica Q as my low light 28mm and often walk around camera, with photokina right around the corner.

Or maybe splurge on a 35 lux knowing whatever new body comes out hopefully in September this will be a good fit for.

I know this calls for an opinionated answer but i need some well balanced opinions from people who have more experience with using all this gear.

Thank You for the input, unfortunately I can't get my hands on a Q for a test drive.

I am leaning towards to buying a 35 lux or corn not sure yet. I think putting the $$$ towards lenses will be better off long term. And who knows what may come from photokina but everything is pointing towards a new M body so will prob be happier with more lenses to go with that.

As tempting as the Q is and I have rarely been this tempted since getting the m240 3 years I think I may have to pass

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I think you will be better off buying a new lens. Even if Leica launches a new camera at Photokina chances are it wont be available until the earliest next year. The M 240 took almost 11 months (in som cases even more) to be available from Leicas launch date.

(Tip: Get in line at your local dealer today, not after the launch. My dealer already have over ten names on the list for any new cameras released by Leica.)

If you go for a lens I can really recommend the Summilux 35 for the M, it renders fantastic and is sharp as a knife wide open. It was my to go lens for 99% of my shots. Until I bought the Q anyways. The Q sure has its benefits. 

And now the big question

Its almost impossible to give an advice that works for you, but I can share my experience with you.

I do serious photography since 30 years, I owned all kind of DSRLs then mirrorless cameras.

Lately I sold everything to buy a Q.

Its the best, simple, well balanced, efficient and powerful camera I owned all time and I won't trade it for anything else currently on the market.

To me its the perfect camera for my needs (mainly street photography and landscape). 

For what it worth...

Edited by Voxen
  • Like 1

I also cannot give an advice because everything is lastly a matter of personal habits.

But what I can tell you is that I work with three types of cameras: Canon MKIII DSLR,Olympus MFT,Leica X1 and if I am honest and had too choose only 1 camera I would always take the Leica Q.

The reason is simple: it has a fantastic lens and works perfectly together with the sensor. It is a very smooth tool with a wide range of versatility: landscape, macro, high capacity in low light, fast shutter, fast AF - what else is necessary.

I notice that I use this camera more than my other gear. This does not mean I would sell the other stuff but the Q is the most versatile of them.