Firmware 2.0 on 7/26!

As I wrote in the other thread, I do se light in the end of the tunnel. But I would like one more source then LR before I really believe it. And why aren't there any rumours on what the improvements are? NDs haven't worked very well in the past for Leica, so why is it so quite this time around?

I am seriously pissed off by Leica for delaying the firmware release for the Q. One and a half years?

It is such a brilliant camera, but some of the faults, which could be easily cured by a firmware update, are truely annoying.

I really do not understand why not more camera makers adopt Fuji's philosophy regarding FW upgrades. For me this is part of the after sales care I expect from a company I gave serious money to. It is in the same line as repairs. If a camera maker doesn't provide an acceptable quick repair turn around, I cannot work with this camera. I ditched my whole Hasselblad equipment when they left me alone without my main camera for ten weeks. Of course I have backup. but I don't have backup for my backup to cater for a maker's negligence.

(my experience with Leica repair is a mixed bag, but I think it is acceptable)

While I agree the Q need some improvements, its a very capable camera as it is right now. The new firmware will improve many things and make it an almost perfect camera.

It could just be corrections to translations as far as we know.  :p

I am seriously pissed off by Leica for delaying the firmware release for the Q. One and a half years?

It is such a brilliant camera, but some of the faults, which could be easily cured by a firmware update, are truely annoying.

I really do not understand why not more camera makers adopt Fuji's philosophy regarding FW upgrades. For me this is part of the after sales care I expect from a company I gave serious money to. It is in the same line as repairs. If a camera maker doesn't provide an acceptable quick repair turn around, I cannot work with this camera. I ditched my whole Hasselblad equipment when they left me alone without my main camera for ten weeks. Of course I have backup. but I don't have backup for my backup to cater for a maker's negligence.

(my experience with Leica repair is a mixed bag, but I think it is acceptable)

I'm pretty sure that good things will come to those that wait as in the past Leica have been pretty good at updating their firmware though it can take sometime as they are not electronic giants and firmware testing can take time to get it right

http://leicarumors.com/2016/07/22/list-of-fixes-in-the-upcoming-leica-q-firmware-update-2-0.aspx/

This is the list of fixes that will be included in the upcoming firmware update version 2.0 for the Leica Q camera:

1. DNG only mode added
DNG is now available as a separate mode (besides JPG and DNG+JPG).

2. EVF extended mode implemented
The user can switch to the monitor image for menu control and image review immediately by pressing the Menu or Play button.

3. Extended low shutter speed range
Shutter speed up to 120s can be set.

4. User Profile menu item directly accessible
User Profile has been added to the modes selectable by the FN button. This facilitates quick and easy access to any specific mode stored in one of the user profiles, e.g. Monochrome.

5. Level Gauge display changed
The Level Gauge display remains visible when the Shutter button is pressed.

6. Size of 1 Point AF metering area selectable (Small / Standard / Large)
By pressing the Delete button in the 1 Point AF mode the size of the AF field can be changed/selected by using the thumbwheel.

The Leica Q firmware update version 2.0 is expected to be released on July 26th.

4 and 6 will be useful improvements imho .

i have never used the level gauge display so 5 does not "do anything" for me

1.  jpg is sometimes useful for online posting. . . i would have rather had compressed dng's  as an option

2.  i may need more coffee-- but i do not understand this

3.  i have not had an image with that long of an exposure in many years -- i am sure it is helpful for some....

But wait there's more! The full list of updates has been published by Leica Rumors

1. DNG only mode added

The user can switch to the monitor image for menu control and image review immediately by pressing the Menu or Play button.

3. Extended low shutter speed range
Shutter speed up to 120s can be set.

User Profile has been added to the modes selectable by the FN button. This facilitates quick and easy access to any specific mode stored in one of the user profiles, e.g. Monochrome.

5. Level Gauge display changed
The Level Gauge display remains visible when the Shutter button is pressed.

By pressing the Delete button in the 1 Point AF mode the size of the AF field can be changed/selected by using the thumbwheel.

7. 1 Point AF movement in digital zoom mode limited
When using the focal lengths 35mm and 50mm available in Digital Zoom mode, the 1 Point AF metering area movement is limited to within the respective frames.

8. Improved Face Detection AF mode function
In Face Detection mode the camera switches automatically to Multipoint AF if no face can be detected.

9. Additional information display screen added
Fourth info screen has been added with the option to display the lower bar separately.

10. Image playback touch zoom function changed
Double-tapping calls up the maximum enlargement/reduces back to original size.

11. Long exposure / Noise reduction countdown added

12. Three modes available for the thumbwheel (Off / AUTO / Exp. Comp.)

13. Mode Lock of the video button implemented
The video button can be deactivated if desired.

14. WIFI Password setting changed
All characters entered for the password remain visible during the process.

15. Flash unit compatibility extended
The Leica flash units SF 40 and SF 64 are supported.

• Like 2

1. DNG only mode added

I'm curious as to how this affects wifi image transfer through the Leica Q app - will it convert to JPG on the fly or allow DNG transfer?

This would make the EVF only mode easier to use if you tend to menu dive to change options.

This will have to do in place of changing AF mode via the FN button.

A much needed improvement, expecially on a 28mm FOV.

8. Improved Face Detection AF mode function
In Face Detection mode the camera switches automatically to Multipoint AF if no face can be detected.

Pretty sure it already does this, maybe they mean face detection is more accurate?

9. Additional information display screen added
Fourth info screen has been added with the option to display the lower bar separately.

This was a huge sticking point for me.  Accurately composing with the rear screen was a pain since half pressing the shutter brought up the bottom info bar.  This was especially bad when spot focusing/metering and recomposing.

11. Long exposure / Noise reduction countdown added

12. Three modes available for the thumbwheel (Off / AUTO / Exp. Comp.)

What is the AUTO referencing here?