Advertisement (gone after registration)

After a couple of weeks of playing and learning the camera I start to getting used to the Appenture or Shutter priority ... And this works really well for me.

Is the next logical step mastering Manual Mode? What is the best practice? When do you use it? on what occasion?

What is your experience?

Edited by Pvanrosendaal

i have rarely used manual mode.  i usually shoot aperture priority.  if i see that the highlights are getting too blown out, i will underexpose by the appropriate amount to keep the histogram moving to the left. 

• Like 1

After a couple of weeks of playing and learning the camera I start to getting used to the Appenture or Shutter priority ... And this works really well for me.

Is the next logical step mastering Manual Mode? What is the best practice? When do you use it? on what occasion?

What is your experience?

Checkout "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson. You should be able to borrow it from your local library.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

What is your experience?

The need to use exposure compensation is a hint that you might be better off in manual mode for that shot.   Sometimes the sunny 16 rule gives much better results than depending upon the meter.  Another situation for manual mode is when you want a consistent exposure for a group of pictures.  If taking a single shot you can point the camera at something mid grey and half press the shutter to lock the exposure before recomposing and shooting.   That is a pain when taking several shots with the same lighting. Manual mode removes the pain.

• Like 3

Images won't be any better taken in manual mode than they will if shot in Av or SS mode, assuming your getting the exposure, and/or shutter speed you desire.

I shoot in Av mode (with a minimum shutter speed for auto-ISO that meets my shooting situation) 95% of the time and it gives the same results as manual mode, only with a bit less to think about.

I've never understood the internet forum mentality of "good" or "real" photographers shoot only manual mode.  Its simply a setting, and depending on the needs it may be the best setting, but its not magic on its own.  The key is simply understanding how your camera works, how it meters a given scene et al.

If you understand exposure, and the importance of shutter speed and/or aperture, you can take just as good of image in Av and SS as you can in M mode because they are all doing exactly the same thing, just adjusting different parameters.

Edited by millsart
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I mostly stay in aperture priority, and auto ISO with a low speed limit at 1/125 sec. I switch to full manual mode and turn off auto ISO when I need to do pano and/or HDR. This has served me well and produced consistently good results.

-alex

I use manual exposure quite a bit, but I also use full auto as well as either priority.  All have their uses depending on the situation.   A great thing about the Q is that you can go back and forth among them all very easily, none of that scrolling through a menu that many digital cameras require.

Because it's easy, that should encourage people to experiment with all of them, figure out what works best for you in different situations.  

Edited by stevieboy

I mostly use the manual mode. There is one reason for me why this gives me the best freedom to adapt to changing light situations. When I am not sure whether ISO 100 will do I set the camera on Auto ISO. Fast changing light of great contrast can be mastered directly with the thumbwheel for which I chose the exposure correcton. This method is very quick.

The subject afford sometimes speed or a special f-stop. For me it is important to change quickly  and have all parameters at hand.