An Appreciation Of The SL By A Confirmed M User

johnbuckley

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Don't get me wrong, I would love to see Leica improve the SL's EVF behavior to match at least what I get with the Olympus E-M1, and exceed it. I just see the amount and weight of the verbiage that you put into your review, and Jeff S puts into every discussion of the EVF, and Doug wrote in his review, and I have to wonder why it is such a big deal to you. 

With this EVF issue in mind, about an hour ago I picked up my SL, fitted the 15mm lens, and went for a walk in the rising sun's light on this absolutely clear, warm, Summer morning. A stark and contrasty light context for sure. My camera is set to A mode, direct EC on the top dial. There were occasions when I pointed the camera at something that was in a shadow and it was a bit dark to focus on. A quick flick of the EC dial to + the exposure, bright and clear for focusing, then a quick flick back for proper exposure and, SNAP! My picture was made. Why is this such a big deal? Of course it could be better ... It could have near infinite, auto-compensating, partial frame adaptiveness. Someday, LCD display panels and supporting software will have those capabilities. 

But until our recording media match the automated contrast adjustment capabilities of the human brain, there are going to be limitations in what we can see, what we can record. Isn't it a better thing that the viewfinder displays these limitations more closely what the media can accomplish rather than giving a false sense of being able to see clearly regardless of light level and contrast? 

In the case of the SL, the viewfinder's dynamic range is about a bit less than the sensor and predictable in its behavior. I find this satisfactory to previsualize what I'm going to acquire in bright and contrasty light. I can easily work it so that I can see to focus and frame, and achieve correct exposure. Yes, I'd like it to be better, and more adaptive in its behavior. But for all its other advantages over an optical SLR viewfinder, I simply cannot bring myself to complain so much.

After all, it is the mind that must see photographs, not the camera. We always have to work beyond the camera's limitations. 

G

• Like 1

After all, it is the mind that must see photographs, not the camera. We always have to work beyond the camera's limitations. 

That's been true for every camera I've ever used.  It's the nature of photography.....two dimensional results from a three (at least) dimensional world. That's distinct from personal preferences, comfort level, enjoyment....or even seemingly irrational quirks....that each and every one of us has.

Beyond the contrast issue, I simply don't like the TV-screen-like experience of EVFs.  Does it mean I couldn't try to adapt in order to take advantage of other benefits?  Of course not. But it doesn't change my biases.   The contrast issue adds another level of discomfort, whether or not it can be worked around mechanically.  I know others feel differently, and I don't try to change their view.

People like some things, not others....and to differing degrees and levels of importance.  I can explain to some folks all day long how I just turn off LV and video on the M240, yet it's not the same to them as not having it in the first place.  I can try to convince people that not chimping is no different than not having an LCD screen....and it would fall on deaf ears.

I don't question your like for, and ease of using EVF-based cameras, and the SL in particular.  You feel the way you feel, and to question that would be silly.  You can't change others' beliefs merely by articulating a contrary view, however logical it may seem.  Would you expect others to think, oh my, he's right, I've been doing it wrong....now I like it? 

Thoughts and preferences may change over time....but likely not because of any online discussion.

Jeff

• Like 1

Well I've followed the EVF and brightness thread and now this one with interest. 

I have never has ANY issues with what is reported by a small number of users in 8 months of SL use. 

In high contrast conditions I just use spot metering and there isn't a problem.

I appreciate Doug Herrs frustration that the adaptive EVF can result in whiteouts when you move the camera and locking to 'real time exposure' would be handy, but I have seen nothing in the SL EVF's behaviour that irritates me or stops me taking photos that  reflect what I am actually looking at. 

Either I am incredibly tolerant and unobservant or others are working in a way that doesn't mesh with the capabilities of the camera. 

• Like 1

Well I've followed the EVF and brightness thread and now this one with interest. 

I have never has ANY issues with what is reported by a small number of users in 8 months of SL use. 

In high contrast conditions I just use spot metering and there isn't a problem.

I appreciate Doug Herrs frustration that the adaptive EVF can result in whiteouts when you move the camera and locking to 'real time exposure' would be handy, but I have seen nothing in the SL EVF's behaviour that irritates me or stops me taking photos that  reflect what I am actually looking at. 

Either I am incredibly tolerant and unobservant or others are working in a way that doesn't mesh with the capabilities of the camera. 

+1.  I have never experienced any problem whatsoever with the EVF.  I have exactly the same questions as you...

That's been true for every camera I've ever used.  It's the nature of photography.....two dimensional results from a three (at least) dimensional world. That's distinct from personal preferences, comfort level, enjoyment....or even seemingly irrational quirks....that each and every one of us has.

Beyond the contrast issue, I simply don't like the TV-screen-like experience of EVFs.  Does it mean I couldn't try to adapt in order to take advantage of other benefits?  Of course not. But it doesn't change my biases.   The contrast issue adds another level of discomfort, whether or not it can be worked around mechanically.  I know others feel differently, and I don't try to change their view.

People like some things, not others....and to differing degrees and levels of importance.  I can explain to some folks all day long how I just turn off LV and video on the M240, yet it's not the same to them as not having it in the first place.  I can try to convince people that not chimping is no different than not having an LCD screen....and it would fall on deaf ears.

I don't question your like for, and ease of using EVF-based cameras, and the SL in particular.  You feel the way you feel, and to question that would be silly.  You can't change others' beliefs merely by articulating a contrary view, however logical it may seem.  Would you expect others to think, oh my, he's right, I've been doing it wrong....now I like it? 

Thoughts and preferences may change over time....but likely not because of any online discussion.

Jeff

I have no issue with the fact that you prefer one thing vs another, or that our preferences differ. Nor am I concerned with trying to convince you otherwise.

But why go on about what you dislike so much and so often? State it once and let it go. I've stated what I find deficient in the SL and filed bugs against ... I see no point to railing on about them over and over again. 

Edited by ramarren

Advertisement (gone after registration)

One person's hot button is another's yawn.  It's what helps make the forum interesting...and entertaining.

Jeff

I would yawn if I had experienced it but couldn't care less... I am saying I never experienced it.  Slightly different... 

I don't see any repeats. Just a few people saying "you I agree" and others saying it's not an issue for them. This is just normal conversation back and forth. 

Although I experienced an issue with the EVF and bright sunlight it is not a show stopper. It's just a learning process with a new camera. I'm ok with that.

• Like 1

I have no issue with the fact that you prefer one thing vs another, or that our preferences differ. Nor am I concerned with trying to convince you otherwise.

But why go on about what you dislike so much and so often? State it once and let it go. I've stated what I find deficient in the SL and filed bugs against ... I see no point to railing on about them over and over again. 

Many times.  And lots of other comments about the SL...many times....pro and con.  This thread, too, starting with post #9....repeating (again) your lack of concerns about the EVF (before I even commented on it).  

Doesn't bother me.  Typical forum discussion as topics arise.  I know how dozens of folks feel about a host of issues....not because of one post, but because of lots of posts on lots of different threads.  

Clearly, though, you're troubled with some points of view.....you post a rebuttal every time.  Post #21, first paragraph, is a perfect example.  You need to know why folks strongly feel the way they do. I don't care...they just do.  If you want to let it be, then maybe just let it be.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

Many times.  And lots of other comments about the SL...many times....pro and con.  This thread, too, starting with post #9....repeating (again) your lack of concerns about the EVF (before I even commented on it).  

Doesn't bother me.  Typical forum discussion as topics arise.  I know how dozens of folks feel about a host of issues....not because of one post, but because of lots of posts on lots of different threads.  

Clearly, though, you're troubled with some points of view.....you post a rebuttal every time.  Post #21, first paragraph, is a perfect example.  You need to know why folks strongly feel the way they do. I don't care...they just do.  If you want to let it be, then maybe just let it be.

Jeff

That was not a statement of what I found wanting, nor a complaint. It was my evaluation of a review, requested, it seemed, by the writer. 

I do like to know why people react the way they do. Most don't provide a reasonable explanation, and I'm not wired to accept "I don't like this because I don't" as a good reason for anything.  :)