Getting black shots

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I've owned this Q for five weeks and it is yielding a few random, completely black frames sometimes.  Initially I didn't troubleshoot and simply deleted them, but in the last 69 frames the camera has produced five black frames (with only 340 total camera frame count).   Imported into Lightroom, it will show metadata at ISO 6400 (the upper limit I've programmed into auto-iso), and a relatively long exposure, i.e. 0.5 seconds (but I don't believe that shutter value or I'd notice the lag). With those numbers, I'd expect a completely white image instead.  I don't like image preview, so the first I'll find out is when back at the computer.  Although shooting RAW and normally discarding the JPG’s, I can see that the corresponding JPG is also black. 

Does anyone have a similar experience or insight into this?  Otherwise the camera has been glitch-free.  I only own two SD cards (Sandisk Extreme versions), and this week will try the other (older) one – an obvious first troubleshooting step.

- Ralph

Edited by ralpheburns

Steve - Thanks for the pointer.  Different shutter in the Q (leaf vs. planar), but insightful.  I swapped in a different memory card and took about 200 frames with the Q this weekend and got one black frame (mid-day outdoor light, metadata reads, ISO 6400, f/4, 2.5 sec).

I've phone Leica USA and a phone tech is asking internally to learn if they know of other situations.  I'm thankful to have purchased from Herrington Catalog with a 90-day satisfaction guarantee.

• Like 1

Try shooting some with auto ISO disabled - just pick an appropriate ISO for the situation, and see if that makes a difference. Might lead you to be able to see if it's a software or hardware problem.

Edited by beez