Leica T vs Leica SL IQ

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi there,

as a user of both systems T and SL (and some more) I am surprized at how often I grab the T instead of the SL and how good the IQ looks from the T.

So I wondered how others rate the IQ of the T compared to the SL or other FF cameras? You guys make the same experience?

Specially the 35/1.4TL, the 55-135, but also the other 2 Zooms and the 23/2.0 seem to deliver impressive IQ.

The 55-135 is such a nice compact lens. Of course there are things where I prefer the SL...Viewfinder, delay at startup, moving focus point while looking through viewfinder, AF speed. But overall the T does serve me very well for all occasions where I do not want the bulk of a bigger camera.

Edited by tom0511

My experience, the m240 has better IQ than the T, so the SL would compare the same or better.  Ditto for the Q.  And just to mention, own now the M246 and it beats all for monochrome.  That all being said, the T is no slouch and I love shooting with it.  Personally, my opinion is there is too much emphasis put on IQ, and pixel peeping.  If the camera shooting experience results in better photos, that's important.  More to it than IQ.

• Like 1

Hi there,

as a user of both systems T and SL (and some more) I am surprized at how often I grab the T instead of the SL and how good the IQ looks from the T.

So I wondered how others rate the IQ of the T compared to the SL or other FF cameras? You guys make the same experience?

Specially the 35/1.4TL, the 55-135, but also the other 2 Zooms and the 23/2.0 seem to deliver impressive IQ.

The 55-135 is such a nice compact lens. Of course there are things where I prefer the SL...Viewfinder, delay at startup, moving focus point while looking through viewfinder, AF speed. But overall the T does serve me very well for all occasions where I do not want the bulk of a bigger camera.

Tom, since you have both T and SL, I was wondering how T zooms work on SL!

I just have used the Telezoom for some holyday video and it worked fine.

AF might (I am not sure) be faster than on the T, but not as fast as the native SL lenses.

In the end if I use T lenses I rather use them on the T than on the SL.

• Like 1

I am the other way around.  After also getting the Q and then the SL and as much as I like the T I hardly use it anymore.

I would probably use the T more though if it had high ISO performance that was on par with the Q and the SL.

For the time being I am keeping the T and the two lenses that I have but if the T2 is not convincing (or does not happen) it might need to go.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Admitted high ISO is not up to a good full frame sensor. but then at same f-stop you get more DOF with the smaller sensor, so for 90% of my use its ok. This would be different if I did use just the Zoom(s). But with 1 or 2 faster primes its ok for me.

Of course the SL with a 35/1.3 (adapted) offers more low light performance.

I really hope-like you- that a T2 will offer some progress. (SPecially weather protection would be welcome. OSS would be a dream, and a SL quality integrated viewfinder please)

• Like 1

Been shooting with M cameras for over twenty years, have a Q also, I do like the T.  Love how it feels in the hand, better than any of the others.  The user interface, hope they continue on the next version.  The one thing I think Leica flubbed on was releasing the camera with so many bugs.  If it had gotten out of the gate without those and in the state of firmware it is in now, think would have been a hit.  Unfortunately, in a rush to market, my guess is won't be a new version.  But hoping!!

• Like 2

The one thing I think Leica flubbed on was releasing the camera with so many bugs.  If it had gotten out of the gate without those and in the state of firmware it is in now, think would have been a hit.  

That and the totally misplaced marketing that overemphasized the luxury aspect of the camera and the fact that it was polished by hand from one block of aluminium, etc.

I believe they can recover from that but there is a fair amount of catch-up to do with regards to the Fuji X-Pro2/X-T2 and the Sony A6300.

That and the totally misplaced marketing that overemphasized the luxury aspect of the camera and the fact that it was polished by hand from one block of aluminium, etc.

I believe they can recover from that but there is a fair amount of catch-up to do with regards to the Fuji X-Pro2/X-T2 and the Sony A6300.

You mean catch up of markert share? I think Leica should focus their marketing on image quality and user interface. For me the T beats the Fuji and Sony in regards of IQ (specially color)

For me, the IQ and the user interface are the things that work beautifully on the T for its price range and being only a 16 mp camera. Less is more in the button department. I loathe the Canons and Sonys, etc., for their confusing button and menu overload which I find totally unintuitive and annoying. No matter how good the IQ is of a Sony, I would never buy just because they are a pain to use. I thankfully sold my Canon Mk 3 and don't miss it one bit. The day I let go of my T, will miss it. Been a great camera so far. And just the feel and weight of it is reminiscent of the m6. A pleasure to use.

• Like 2

Oh stop all this effervescing over the T, you'll have me wanting another one, I'm weakening already.

Gary

Common, Gary; you should be missing your beautiful T!... I was surprised when you left this forum for another camera! ;)

You could be right Louis, I do actually miss it a bit. It's not as if I "went elsewhere", more I consolidated my digital cameras, selling the T, and just keeping the X1 (too old/hard to part with now), and the X-Vario.

Everything else is film M, with the recent addition of an SWC as well. Too many cameras, not enough time.

But if I find a cheaper T again, I will give it serious thought, as the basic camera is awesome, and as a "digital back" for M lenses, well, it's stunning.

Gary

• Like 2

You could be right Louis, I do actually miss it a bit. It's not as if I "went elsewhere", more I consolidated my digital cameras, selling the T, and just keeping the X1 (too old/hard to part with now), and the X-Vario.

Everything else is film M, with the recent addition of an SWC as well. Too many cameras, not enough time.

But if I find a cheaper T again, I will give it serious thought, as the basic camera is awesome, and as a "digital back" for M lenses, well, it's stunning.

Gary

I have seen some on ebay for very low prices. But 2 bodies are enough ;)

I never thought this before, but out of my M,SL,S and T I use the T most often recently. Just the ideal camera for family stuff. Not as fast as the SL, not as beautiful and puristic as the M, not as beautiful IQ like the S, but it just works fine and decent IQ. The 35/1.4 has become the main lens used.