D-Lux 3 case... anyone know

jonladd

Advertisement (gone after registration)

how the backorder situation is progressing. I've had one on order for a couple of months now and still waiting. I won't pay the scalping prices I see on eBay either.

Since my Digilux 2 is in for a sensor change I bought a D-Lux 3. I have decided I like the 16x9 a lot. Its a great little camera. Bravo Leica.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Jon - I'm in the exact same situation you're in.

I ordered from binoculars.com since it appeared the case was in stock and would "leave the warehouse" in a matter of days.

A few hours later, I received an email telling me they were out of stock but expected some more in 4-6 weeks.

That was a month ago and I haven't heard anything since.

I don't know of any stores getting their cases in stock, and I definitely wouldn't pay the 120% markup on ebay.

Here's hoping they start tanning some leather soon...;)

Here's my D-Lux 3 case story... I had no idea the D-Lux3 camera and the cases were back ordered until I started calling around my area to locate both in late April. (This camera' was as hard to get as a new passport) I wanted the camera for my once in a life time trans-atlantic cruise NY-Southhamton. During my internet search I managed to locate a small Leica dealer in Seattle, WA (a 160mile trip from Portland OR). Via phone they had both in stock... I secured the camera and the case, and made the car trip north. Once there there, they informed me they only sell the case with the camera, that's why they had both. Still not sure why they had the camera, with the world-wide shortage and all (a bit of good luck there) Now fast forward... After arriving in the UK after the cruise, while touring London, I spotted a Leica dealer, a nice old camera shoppe, with vintage Leica's, lenes, ect.. I went in for a look around and got a hands on feel of the new Leica M8 Digital. Whoa, what a sweet camera... (hey I can dream can't I) First comment from the salesman seeing my shouldered camera... Oh! You have the D-Lux 3 and the leather case... the case is very hard to find here... all my customers are on the wait list. So I say call around... internet search... leave no stone unturned... and good luck.

What country are you in?

USA

If you live in the US, arrange to have yourself notified by e-mail when B&H photo gets some more in stock. As soon as you get the message from B&H, place the order.

I've got one on B/O at Adorama

BTW: on eBay I see one seller has one for $255 US

My experience... a rather compulsive Google search for "Leica 18669" (no quote marks in search) every day or two until one turned up in stock at a reputable dealer, 17th St Photo, a couple of months ago. I ordered immediately (about US$90) and got it with no problem.

I think the key is persistence, because then you'll find one at a dealer who has received just a few of them. I was on B&H's list (my favorite dealer) and got an e-mail that they had them in stock... but only after I'd received mine from 17th Street.

On the case itself... other being nice looking, it offers very good protection for the camera. It's well worth the effort to find one.

Dave

I actually scored my DLux3 on a cruise in the Caribbean with Royal Caribbean about 3 weeks ago. Got a great price on it and no waiting whatsoever (duty free and all). Resisted buying the leather case as I thought it would be readily available when I got home (to Toronto) and thought it would be no big deal to find it.

Now I'm kinda kicking myself that I didn't buy it when I had the chance...

Off to Paris in a week so maybe I'll find one there...

My experience... a rather compulsive Google search for "Leica 18669" (no quote marks in search) every day or two until one turned up in stock at a reputable dealer

No offense intended, but I think the brown leather case is (f)ugly so I went with the older black leather case that has a magnetic clasp ("18644") instead. True, there's no shoulder strap (belt-loop only) and the magnetic clasp isn't guaranteed to keep the cover in place as well as a brass snap, but there's one on eBay right now that closes in a few hours and has a high bid of just $10...

eBay: Leica Digital Camera Case for the D-LUX 3 (item 190120602142 end time Jun-09-07 19:08:58 PDT)

The brown leather case has a magnetic clasp, no. 30138. The way the tab wraps around the brown case makes it look like it would be harder to open accidentally.

Is it the color of the brown case, or its shape that does not appeal to you?

The brown leather case has a magnetic clasp, no. 30138. The way the tab wraps around the brown case makes it look like it would be harder to open accidentally.

I stand corrected.

Is it the color of the brown case, or its shape that does not appeal to you?

Both! I guess brown leather wouldn't be so bad if I didn't have a black camera, but as my accountant friend is always reminding me, there's no accounting for taste!

I guess I just got lucky to find a Dlux 3 (only one left that I just picked up) from my local camera store, but I can't seem to understand how brown bag over 50USD would look good with my BLACK Dlux 3???

Anyone else has a different bag here?

I don't think leather is practical out in bad weather condition~

I want something like Lowepro or Tamron or even Crampler maybe with water registance?

Tommy

While you are using your black D-Lux 3, you are not looking at the brown case.

When the black camera is in the brown case, the camera is not visible at all. You see black camera against brown leather for the few seconds it takes to put the camera in the case and close it.

I suspect that some people like this case because it reminds them of camera cases they enjoyed seeing in childhood. I still wonder if I remember such a case, or if I am making up in my mind a scene in which my uncle returned from Germany with a Zeiss camera in a similar case.

I hope their are no users who feel that their camera cases and shoes must match. This could become even more complicated very quickly!

I suspect that some people like this case because it reminds them of camera cases they enjoyed seeing in childhood. I still wonder if I remember such a case, or if I am making up in my mind a scene in which my uncle returned from Germany with a Zeiss camera in a similar case.

Your assumption may be valid, as I think the brown case is ugly and the first thing I did after my father gave me his Kodak 35 when I was a kid was to remove it from its brown leather case because I likewise thought it was ugly.

I put an antiqued brown ("Rally"-a very classy looking brown) Luigi 1/2 case on my black dlux 3 and it looks spectacular. I get more comments on the case then I get on the camera.

I'ts also a lot easier to see. It's much easier to lose of misplace something all black -- especially something you have with you all the time and my put down on table or a chair.