I finally got me an S (006) aaaand broke it right away?!

diddus

Advertisement (gone after registration)

So, I was in Wetzlar to get my M9 checked out and repaired after an accident... while waiting I couldn't resist checking out the S. 

When I came home the files amazed me and I couldn't stop thinking about owning one ... sell the 240 + 50 Summilux ASPH and try to get a used S2 .... I was back in Wetzlar on tuesday and left the outlet with a S (006) and 70 Summarit-S.

Crazy.

Anyhow, as I started playing with tethering (and having trouble setting that up...) I finally though I had managed it... when the camera stopped working.

As in, it does blink ... a lot .. but it is neither recognized by the shuttle anymore, nor does it fire on it's own.

I have tried hard resets (battery out ..) and managed to get back into the system where I was able to also reset the camera.

Still, the top LCD does not turn on and neither do the LED's inside the Viewfinder. I cannot take pictures either. It does allow me, from time to time, to change the Quick menu and even let's me do other stuff in the menu. Mostly it blinks red though and the screen tends to flash every once in a while when pressing buttons.

Any suggestions?

So, I was in Wetzlar to get my M9 checked out and repaired after an accident... while waiting I couldn't resist checking out the S. 

When I came home the files amazed me and I couldn't stop thinking about owning one ... sell the 240 + 50 Summilux ASPH and try to get a used S2 .... I was back in Wetzlar on tuesday and left the outlet with a S (006) and 70 Summarit-S.

Crazy.

Anyhow, as I started playing with tethering (and having trouble setting that up...) I finally though I had managed it... when the camera stopped working.

As in, it does blink ... a lot .. but it is neither recognized by the shuttle anymore, nor does it fire on it's own.

I have tried hard resets (battery out ..) and managed to get back into the system where I was able to also reset the camera.

Still, the top LCD does not turn on and neither do the LED's inside the Viewfinder. I cannot take pictures either. It does allow me, from time to time, to change the Quick menu and even let's me do other stuff in the menu. Mostly it blinks red though and the screen tends to flash every once in a while when pressing buttons.

Any suggestions?

Sounds like you need to send it in. But, have you tried to re-install firmware? Have you used the latest, official tethering SW? IN that case I would say this is Leica responsibility.

Edited by erlingmm

Sounds like you need to send it in. But, have you tried to re-install firmware? Have you used the latest, official tethering SW? IN that case I would say this is Leica responsibility.

Yeah, all the latest firmware used etc. Wouldn't even let me reinstall the latest firmware.

Now I was able to connect the AC Adapter and it works again ... It seems that the battery was empty? A little surprising since it showed 3/4 full when I checked earlier. 

With less then 200 shots fired that probably shouldn't happen. I will try to figure it out over the weekend. Maybe it's the battery.

• 2 weeks later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

That was close but agree that battery needs multiple cycles.. Please attempt to drain it as low as possible before recharging and do this several times. If you encounter repeat issues after cycling a few times, just return the battery for a new one. Also you should always have a spare when shooting anyway.

Good luck with your Leica!

Albert  :)  :)  :)