I love my M-D 262

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Received yesterday, my first M in 4 years. Chuffed to bits doesn't cover it.

Sporting a version 3 Elmarit 28 2.8 (does include hood).

Not the best 'I love my...' picture ever posted, but you get the idea. 😁 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 4

Thank You Philip, so this «Massproduced» Camera is going to be quite rare in the

Future.

I will not sell Her...😊

• Like 3

Here is my...♥️

• Like 5

4 hours ago, a.noctilux said:

Nice find.

a bit more lovely brassing than mine.

Have fun with this M-D, Hero.

Thank you indeed. Yes it looks like genuine brassing and the camera looks and feels like it's been used but cared for.

Just before I bought it, the seller had sent it to Wetzlar for a service and RF adjust.

Out right now snapping anything and everything that catches my eye. An incredible experience as it's shoots and feels just like my old M2 - even the shutter gives me feelings of nostalgia.

Can't wait to see the results later - and that's one of the many attractions of this camera? ☺ 

• Like 2

M-D is just that film M experience with "later on" digital output ( waiting for results is the game in our world of "fast everything" ) .

I "live" my photo session "while photographing",

not to be able to check if everything is right seconds after taking the pix doesn't bother me at all,

even with those digital Ms with LCD, since M8, I turned off the LCD viewing anyway.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 2/20/2020 at 2:59 PM, Hero To Zero said:

...An incredible experience as it's shoots and feels just like my old M2 - even the shutter gives me feelings of nostalgia...

Perhaps unsurprisingly, H-to-Z, your experience almost exactly mirrors my own which I mentioned a bit earlier;

"...(the M-D) takes me right back to my M2 days (1980 - 2007) with the added benefits of variable ISO and, of course, TTL metering..."

There's no doubting that these are very special cameras. The shooting-experience (the ancestral 'Edition 60' apart) is like nothing else available in the whole world of Digital Photograhy. It is a unique tool which offers - and provides - a unique shooting experience. I absolutely loved my M9-P to bits but after acquiring my M-D the M9 never again came out to play.

Philip.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

M-D can give nice colors with lovely deep black

( depending on lens in use, I think )

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

On 4/23/2020 at 4:42 AM, bayernfan said:

I've been looking around for a nice used example of the M-D 262 or perhaps even new old stock.  not many of them pop up for sale.  does anyone have a lead on one?  perhaps you're considering selling yours?

One M-D poped up yesterday, in France ( 3.100€ ! ) second hand, but reserved in a couple of hours

link to the selling add, summilux.net

Edited by a.noctilux
  • Like 1

On 4/23/2020 at 3:42 AM, bayernfan said:

I've been looking around for a nice used example of the M-D 262 or perhaps even new old stock.  not many of them pop up for sale...

They almost never appear on the used market.

Leica, as is the norm, will not disclose production numbers but it would seem likely that, going by known serial numbers, there might be fewer than 1,000 examples of the M-D Typ 262 in existence. Here, in London, I've only ever seen one other on the market since I bought mine 6 months ago and only one other in the 12-month period before that!

It seems likely that - after a possible 'honeymoon phase' - the people who bought them and didn't like them sold them off quickly. OTOH it seems like those who have bought them and liked them will never sell.

I wish you luck in your quest; they respond in an appropriate manner to a unique mind-set in this digital age.

Philip.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pippy said:

Leica, as is the norm, will not disclose production numbers but it would seem likely that, going by known serial numbers, there might be fewer than 1,000 examples of the M-D Typ 262 in existence. Here, in London, I've only ever seen one other on the market since I bought mine 6 months ago and only one other in the 12-month period before that!

It seems likely that - after a possible 'honeymoon phase' - the people who bought them and didn't like them sold them off quickly. OTOH it seems like those who have bought them and liked them will never sell.

I wish you luck in your quest; they respond in an appropriate manner to a unique mind-set in this digital age.

Philip.

So tempting to rush out and find/buy...:wacko:

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, pippy said:

Philip.

Thank you for your knowledge and insight.

I know a few individuals working at Leica stores here in the US.  They are on the lookout for me.  Wish me luck!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, lykaman said:

So tempting to rush out and find/buy...:wacko:

:lol:

Well the're certainly not everyne's cup of tea; that's for sure!

I'll be happy when I can simply get out for a bit to use mine properly!

Philip.

A Noctilux wrote:

"One M-D poped up yesterday, in France "

The serial number of that French example is 4987293, less than 300  digits from mine (which was purchased second-hand from Red Dot Cameras in London during January 2019).

• 2 weeks later...

I (still) love my M-D!

• Like 6