I love my M-D 262

^you're right and the fireman did direct the spray correctly few seconds after this shot. I chimped quickly to see how my exposure was and before I could take a 2nd shot the fire was already out. Lesson learned: should just trust yourself more and do less chimping [emoji16]

But the main thing ofcourse is that she had great fun and learned about dangers of fire and a bit what to do if things take a nasty turn.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Good morning!

I am pretty new to the Leica M System but as many I did my first steps in photography with a film camera. While thinking about what kind of M to get it became quite obvious that a M240 will not be my kind of thing. Don't need LV or movie capabilities. So the Typ262 was the obvious choice and I was seriously considering the M-D as well. I give big credit to Leica to dare to reduce the 262 even more and if you come from film it makes complete sense and people with that background will enjoy it. I chickened out and got the "regular" M262 instead. It´s true, you shoot differently with Film and without the screen. Still the M262 gives you the choice to just shut off the screen if you don't need it. I do this quite often and it is a different kind of shoot. Don´t chimp....

Have a nice week.

• 6 months later...

For me It was more : I Got the M10, Couldn't fall in Love with it, Got the M-D Instead :D

I was lucky enough to secure the M10 a few months back, but for some reason I couldn't fall in love with it, even though I came from the M9 Route.

Prior to the M10 announcement I've been lusting for the M-D, was intrigued by the Film like experience and simplicity in operation.

So I did the unthinkable : I sold the M10 after only 2 months of use at almost the same price I bought it (the new owner was lucky!), and I used the proceeds to get a Mint like new M-D Type 262 at a bargain price, cashing out around US$2200 in return.

Best-Decision-Ever.

Love at first sight really. It's funny how even with the M10's very usable Live view and bigger rangefinder, I ended up with more keepers with the preview-less M-D. Making you think before you press that shutter really pays off in terms of getting more quality shots. In the long run, it's a better investment in a tool if it forces you to improve your photo taking. Also not having to worry about banging the back of your camera against anything that might leave some marks on the screen/ control buttons at the back really makes me more confident in carrying the camera out with me all the time.

As for ability to quick preview, I always carry the USB Male-to-Female plug so I can plug an SD card reader to my Galaxy Note 5 if I am not patient enough to wait until I get home / get back to the hotel.

Those looking to acquire the M10, seriously consider the M-D instead, seems like those early adopter got bitten by the M10 Bug and more likely to let off quickly to raise fund :lol:

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The M-D vs M10 decision is not my dilemma as I already had the M-D when the M10 was launched.

The attraction to the M-D for me was its kinship to the M60 which was and is still an intriguing first of kind concept.

The M-D is a throughly enjoyable camera for the reasons you mention plus the following...

If you have eyesight like mine, you can leave your glasses at home using the M-D (Wow!). This is not a joke about no screen but rather using the same ability one may have see the focusing patch (sans glasses) to see all settings/info in the M-D viewfinder. Sorry for the short discription (not an Opthomologyst here) but it works for me.

Next is battery life, it is almost ideal and makes you realize how power hungry current digital photography gear can be and not having fast discharge concerns further inhances the return to casual, mindful shooting film like experience.

Also, other than live view, can an onboard camera screen really help in the field compared to an iMac 27" back at home review to improve ones work?

I'll buy an M10 soon as the M-D version is out.

• 3 months later...

:)

One week happy M-D user here.

Really ultimate affordable no-screen digital Leica (not so with M Edition 60).

I didn't know that screenless is so liberating in actual photography process.

Kind of comeback pleasure decades long habit of Leica M.

Bonus, when I used film, some rolls waited so long to be processed, now simplified process of "processing" with "some waiting" is a must.

Talking about Kodachrome, I'm now "scanning" everyday my old slides with M + Beoon + Focotar (Oh ! ).

So as I know the "kodachrome hue" and to compare with other M rendering, I wanted to know M-D color rendering, here is why Kodachrome "scan" in M-D thread ;) :

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Kodachrome 64 taken with M6 + Summicron 50mm  in Bali long time ago

scan with M-D + Beoon + Focotar 50

• 3 months later...

I bought an M-D about two months ago. Very happy so far and no regrets that I didn’t get the M10. I enjoy the simple experience and lack of screen and menu distractions. The lack of the screen makes the body feel appropriately sized and your right thumb can be placed in a more natural way. The ISO selector is brilliantly executed. I like the black paint finish a lot more than the black chrome on my prior 246 (since sold).

Full disclosure: I also have an X-Pro2 for situations where I want autofocus or live view.

• 2 weeks later...

I am admittedly late to the party on the M-D 262, but can’t get it out of my mind. I’ve been thinking Leica for a long time and think I’m ready. I do have a Nikon FF system and Fuji XT2 series as well. Am I crazy for considering a purchase now in Jan -Feb 2018? If I can find a minty version at a reasonable price? And I haven’t ruled out new either. I am interested in an M10 but want to wait for a P - version - so that’s probably 12 -18 months away, assuming it happens at all. I may even wait for an M11 if I love this camera like I think I will....

Great post on this camera btw, thank you!

I am admittedly late to the party on the M-D 262, but can’t get it out of my mind. I’ve been thinking Leica for a long time and think I’m ready. I do have a Nikon FF system and Fuji XT2 series as well. Am I crazy for considering a purchase now in Jan -Feb 2018? If I can find a minty version at a reasonable price? And I haven’t ruled out new either. I am interested in an M10 but want to wait for a P - version - so that’s probably 12 -18 months away, assuming it happens at all. I may even wait for an M11 if I love this camera like I think I will....

Great post on this camera btw, thank you!

There is simply no better Leica M for me. I'm 100%, completely happy and satisfied, with my M-D typ 262. 

I compared the M-D with the M10. The improvements on the M10 that would be great "nice to haves" on the M-D are the new sensor and the new viewfinder, but neither is enough to push me towards buying an M10 because I prefer the ergonomics and control layout on the M-D. The M-D, without an LCD or the bunch of control buttons necessary for all the M10 additional features, is only barely thicker to hold and has a lot more surface area for my hands to grip. 

I'm constantly toying with the idea of buying another new M-D typ 262 just to ensure that I have one of these cameras for a LONG time to come. It's the most perfect digital Leica M in my book. :D

I have the Leica SL also. Once I had the SL and the M-D, I sold my Leica M-P, my Olympus E-M1 system, my Nikon system, and all my other digital cameras... The SL and M-D are enough for what I do photographically. No M is versatile enough to handle the niche uses I have—long telephoto lenses, macrophotography, and repro copy work are simply not in the bailiwick that a Leica M is truly suitable for, never mind semi-professional video capture. If you do things like that, you'll need to keep either your Fuji or Nikon system as well. 

Edited by ramarren

Thanks Ramarren, that’s a pretty strong vote of confidence! I think I am likely to go down this path. I also have to decide on my first lens. I have never loved the 50mm on my other cameras and would probably go with 35mm - curious to know what you use and what you think works well on this camera? Maybe then a 90mm down the road.

Thanks Ramarren, that’s a pretty strong vote of confidence! I think I am likely to go down this path. I also have to decide on my first lens. I have never loved the 50mm on my other cameras and would probably go with 35mm - curious to know what you use and what you think works well on this camera? Maybe then a 90mm down the road.

I have about ten lenses in M mount, but the ones that I use most are the Summicron-M 50mm and Summilux 35 v2, about equally. Next most used lens is a Summarit-M 75/2.4, and after that the Tri-Elmar-M 16-18-21mm f/4 (also referred to as the WATE). Others (90, 135, 28, etc) I use infrequently, or on the M4-2 body where they perform better. 

A 35 and a 50 are my baseline lenses for the M ... they just feel so right on the camera. But many people feel they're too close together. The 35 and a 75 work well as a pair, as do 35 and 90. But I like the 50 a lot. :)

25355819278_0620b99a68_h.jpg

Shimmer - Cork 2017

Leica M-D + Summicron-M 50mm f/2
Edited by ramarren

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

New guy here. I'm considering buying an M-D because I really like the concept. But, I've never owned an M camera before and I'm hoping you guys can explain something for me.

Is there an an exposure meter seen through the viewfinder? If no, how do you know if you're exposing properly? 

Thanks,

James 

Hello James.

Welcome here.

M-D (type 262) is usable as modern digital M as other M.

It has all (almost minus LCD screen ! ) other digital M features (no LV of course).

In the viewfinder when ON, the battery remain in percent shows up then the meter LED, shutter speed or arrow/dot (depend on shutter speed position),  as on other digital M, etc.

You can download instruction manual here:

http://us.leica-camera.com/Service-Support/Support/Downloads?category=&subcategory=131376&type=93705&language=all