I love my M-D 262

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thorsten, I think that you are oversimplifying things a bit in dismissing  the Colorchecker. I can think of plenty of circumstances where outdoor lighting is stable enough to use it successfully. Additionally there are dual-illuminant profiles to be made. After all, the embedded and provided profiles are universal, i.e. close, but mostly just off.

The advantage of the color-checker is exactly that one can adapt to the vagaries of ambient light. Get out in the harsh noonday sun with the sun straight overhead and your Adobe and Leica presets break down - that is when you need to use an individual profile. Or rather three. One for sun , one for shade and one dual.

You are right in many ways, but I don't find the practical use that simple. While I read your post, the light changed from semi-overcast to sunshine, and the colors of of the light of course change throughout the day. So you almost need to take a photo of the color checker every time you want accurate colors. 

But they do sing. You are right about that. 

I might experiment a little with it again. 

Currently I've been comparing a lot of profiles across the camera models and sensors.

One thing that hit me today was, how does the real color checker colors compare to the images? I don't know why I got so obsessed with comparing pictures and forgot to look at the actual colors of the color checker.

:-)

• Like 1

Leica M-D 262 with Leica M 240 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 5

I had a wonderful weekend shooting with the M-D. This is without a doubt the right M for me. It responds beautifully with my favorite Summilux 35 v2 and Summarit-M 75. I'll likely have to get a Summicron 50 for it at some point ... 

A wonderful camera to make photographs with. :-)

27808018090_260e4c46b3_o.jpg

Leica M-D + Summilux 35mm v2
  • Like 5

Advertisement (gone after registration)

What are the functions of the thumb-wheel, except setting the time and the date?

Setting time and date when setting up the camera.

Adjusting exposure compensation in Aperture priority exposure mode. 

• Like 1

I'm afraid I can't explain the M60, but my M-D came with the time and date already correctly set and I never use exposure compensation anyway (I just choose a different shutter speed or in A-mode, I just lock exposure on something else).  So TBH, the thumbwheel has not seen any use on my camera yet!  But the little lump is helpful for gripping.

• Like 2

They are set by rotating the on/off switch to the third click (there is no C mode in the M60, just a third click used for date setting and sensor cleaning activation). Then use the refunctioned video button with long and short presses to scroll through the date and time settings.

Not really. I haven't done any specific comparisons between the M-P and M-D, however, with respect to write speed and maximum number of captures on continuous mode. The slightly lower timbre of the M-D shutter on single shot can fool the ear into thinking it's not as quick, but I don't notice any real difference in operation. 

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I'll be the first one to start this one. 

Some love this camera without screen, other's don't understand it. So let the pictures tell the story. 

My first picture is from Muscle Beach by venice Beach, Los Angeles. Leica M-D 262 with Leica 50mm APO-Summicron-M ASPH f/2.0. 3200 ISO. 

Let me start by saying that I love and respect you both your site and the photos on it.  I've read every page with interest, it was a large influence on my decision to give Leica a try. Awesome stuff.

But personally, and risking blasphemy, if I had taken this shot and was reviewing it as I normally would, particularly as there was little incentive in this scene to stay ready for a subsequent shot,  I would have looked at the cropped flag, the cone and half a crappy car in the corner, the possibility to more strongly emphasize the dark shadow V and said to myself, damn... I can do this better. Move right, closer, whatever.  Now maybe I could or maybe I couldn't, maybe there was no better positioning or angle possible to get I would have wanted, or maybe my aesthetics are all munged up and the shot is perfect as presented, but IMO and coming from someone of your standing, it serves to make clear that someone of my capabilities is better off being able to review the capture in such scenarios before moving on.  No M-D for me.

• Like 2

My "trigger finger" has been hovering on ordering an MD for some months now, well ever since the camera arrived in fact. I love the fact that Leica had the balls to produce a camera that offers significantly less while other manufacturers are trying to stuff more and more into their products. The camera appeals too to the purist streak in me.

I own a couple of 240's, a Q and a MM, all of them get extensive use, personal and Pro', and on all of them I use the LCD very rarely so the lack of a LCD wouldn't be any hardship for me except for one function and that's the ability to attach an EVF. Again that's used rarely but for the wides I favour in my RF cameras it has proven to be more than useful, nearly essential.......and yes, I know of and still use clip on OVFs but an EVF brings more useful functions along with it.

Video I don't care about at all on any of my Leicas, I've only used that function once on the 240 when I grabbed some scenes that eventually made it into a film. The quality was disappointing and couldn't compare with the footage from the film's digital cinema camera's output but it was essentially B roll so editorially it worked.

If the MD had retained the ability to use an EVF then I would have one by now, no question, but without that function for me the camera great as it is, is hobbled.

Let me start by saying that I love and respect you both your site and the photos on it.  I've read every page with interest, it was a large influence on my decision to give Leica a try. Awesome stuff.

But personally, and risking blasphemy, if I had taken this shot and was reviewing it as I normally would, particularly as there was little incentive in this scene to stay ready for a subsequent shot,  I would have looked at the cropped flag, the cone and half a crappy car in the corner, the possibility to more strongly emphasize the dark shadow V and said to myself, damn... I can do this better. Move right, closer, whatever.  Now maybe I could or maybe I couldn't, maybe there was no better positioning or angle possible to get I would have wanted, or maybe my aesthetics are all munged up and the shot is perfect as presented, but IMO and coming from someone of your standing, it serves to make clear that someone of my capabilities is better off being able to review the capture in such scenarios before moving on.  No M-D for me.

Thanks. I think it was just the result of the choices I had to choose between. The cars with the front light was the main feature in choosing that picture and the crop possibilities that comes with it. 

• Like 1

I gave the M-D a go yesterday in store and while it basically shoots the same as my 240 (except no Auto ISO), I'm now certain I will change to one in the future and not have to put tape over my screen instead. Maybe when they upgrade the sensor in a few years (fingers crossed they do). Otherwise there's no real point for me to lose a few thousand in the selling/buying process and end up with the same images.

The leatherette all across the back adds a lot more gripping area. Beautiful camera!