I love my M-D 262

Advertisement (gone after registration)

James, just like other digital M, it has an aperture priority mode that will automatically select the shutter speed based on the selected aperture and ISO. The shutter speed will be displayed in the viewfinder. An exposure compensation feature is available via the rear selector dial.

If you move the shutter speed dial away from “A” to a specific shutter speed, it will display the traditional > o < symbols to indicate exposure. In that regard, it’s pretty much identical to Ms dating back to the M6.

I have really enjoyed mine. Sure, I’ll admit I think about the M10 from time to time. But when you get down to it, the M-D is highly effective as a rangefinder style camera that allows for digital capture using M lenses as a native mount. I don’t want the distraction of image review, I don’t need to change capture settings or metering modes, and live view can be found with far superior implementations on other cameras (see Sony or Fuji).

Because it does not have the dated screen of the 240, it feels much more timeless than your typical digital camera. The ergonomics are also improved due to the lack of screen and buttons; your thumb had a more natural place to rest. The black paint is a beautiful finish. The ISO selector dial is superior to the 240 and the M10 in providing immediate and direct access to changing ISO. I like the anticipation of having to wait to see results.

The only caveat is that you won’t like it if you like to fiddle with camera settings or image review. Once you take it out of the box and set the date, you’re pretty much done. This is a good thing but it also takes away from some of the fun from experimenting with different camera settings or modes. In my case, I have a Fuji X-Pro2 that fills in when I need AF or when I want to capture JPGs using their first-rate film simulations.

Bottom line, the M-D is a special and unique camera that is equally usable to any digital M. I hope they keep the concept going into the M10 generation. Don’t hesitate to ask more questions!

• Like 5

• 7 months later...

After a half-day wanting the new M10-D (trading in the M-D 262), I changed my mind after that short half-day, as M-D is still my favorite as it is.

Now some brassing 👁️ appeared at corners and base plate, I can say that we have good time together as old friends 😂

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 8

18 hours ago, a.noctilux said:

After a half-day wanting the new M10-D (trading in the M-D 262), I changed my mind after that short half-day, as M-D is still my favorite as it is.

Now some brassing 👁️ appeared at corners and base plate, I can say that we have good time together as old friends 😂

Summaron 35mm on your m-d?

Paul, almost right.

Summicron 35 first (well know as 8 element) nice but not better than Summaron which has more "bite" and flare less.

Like this one

Sometimes, I take one for another as they are so lookalike, in chrome 35 Summicron/Summaron 2.8 you mean this one, I think

Edited by a.noctilux

3 hours ago, a.noctilux said:

Paul, almost right.

Summicron 35 first (well know as 8 element) nice but not better than Summaron which has more "bite" and flare less.

Like this one

Sometimes, I take one for another as they are so lookalike, in chrome 35 Summicron/Summaron 2.8 you mean this one, I think

Ah thnx. I thought it was the summaron 35 f3.5 (i often use that lens on my m-d).  

• 4 months later...

Hi thorsten and everyone, 

Thank you for sharing these info. Given all of your expertise on lecias, I’m curious if you think the M10-d (as in its image quality and Color rendition) is a lot better than the m-d. I’m asking this because I’m considering whether it is better to purchase the M10-d instead of the m-d even though it’s pricier. 

From the little that I do know, the M10-d (or M10 for that matter) - due to it having a different maestro (I) processor as opposed to the maestro I - might have more accurate Color rendition? As for the sensor, I believe the are both using the same Cmos one with minor difference in pixel count? I also know that the M10-d’s iso is a lot better and the viewfinder is larger and clearer too but I think I can do without those for a lower cost. 

Thank you in advance! 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Et7, I think that no one can help here.

You are the only one who can answer for M10-D or M-D (typ 262).

As a hint,

if you post in this thread, your choosen M can be here, no ?

For me, if results from M10 or M-D is a concern, I don't much see difference in the outputs (in DNG of course) of those two.

If like using wifi or Fotos features, the M10-D can do what the M-D would never offer.

As user, now I don't see any difference in their (M10 vs other Ms 240 family) OVF anymore (past some days/weeks appreciating the "better" eye relief of M10).

😇

Anyway, each one is unique in their own way and would never become "bad choice".

Edited by a.noctilux

17 hours ago, Et7 said:

Hi thorsten and everyone, 

Thank you for sharing these info. Given all of your expertise on lecias, I’m curious if you think the M10-d (as in its image quality and Color rendition) is a lot better than the m-d. I’m asking this because I’m considering whether it is better to purchase the M10-d instead of the m-d even though it’s pricier. 

From the little that I do know, the M10-d (or M10 for that matter) - due to it having a different maestro (I) processor as opposed to the maestro I - might have more accurate Color rendition? As for the sensor, I believe the are both using the same Cmos one with minor difference in pixel count? I also know that the M10-d’s iso is a lot better and the viewfinder is larger and clearer too but I think I can do without those for a lower cost. 

Thank you in advance! 

I was in the exact same position as you months ago.

Just a reminder, that you need to consider other differences between M-D and M10-D besides IQ. For example, due to the lack of menu system (M10-D has menu system, which is in the Fotos app), you can not set up lens information, which means uncoded lenses can not be recognized, which means, the in-camera processing is disabled for those lenses, which may be a big deal for wide-angled (equal or wider than 35mm) lenses.

Also, M-D can only output NEF raw file but M10-D can output JPG.

And M10-D can be attached with EVF for critical focusing.

However, with the help of wi-fi SD card, you can still transfer images from M-D to your mobile device, however, how to view/edit the raw files can be an issue...

If you can deal with these differences, then why not save those money to buy a good Leica lens?😀

I love my M-D!

• Like 10

15 hours ago, littlelio said:

you can not set up lens information, which means uncoded lenses can not be recognized, which means, the in-camera processing is disabled for those lenses, which may be a big deal for wide-angled (equal or wider than 35mm) lenses.

Can you explain this a little more please. I have an M-D and was looking at using a Summicron 28, and possibly a Voigtländer 15mm.  What is the disadvantage you refer too? Is it a deal breaker?  Thank you.

15 hours ago, littlelio said:

Also, M-D can only output NEF raw file

Are you kidding?

Data format DNG™ (raw data), compressed loss-free, JPEG

Untrue?

Edited by pico

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry I haven’t checked the forum in awhile. But man, thank you so much for those who replied and advised! Much love. Much appreciated. 

I think you all all made it quite clear - it’ll prob be the m-d for me. Apart from the tad smaller viewfinder, which shouldn’t be much of an issue, I think it makes sense to get the m-d and more lenses. Also, not sure how you’ll take it, but past weeks I’ve been busy shooting my m6 and portra, and rediscovering why I love film so much. So the m-d even might have to wait. It’s the convenience of the uploading and the editing and posting on social media with the digital workflow, but man, nothing Beats slowing down, being patient, and the film look... sometimes ... most of the time :) 

23 hours ago, Et7 said:

Sorry I haven’t checked the forum in awhile. But man, thank you so much for those who replied and advised! Much love. Much appreciated. 

I think you all all made it quite clear - it’ll prob be the m-d for me. Apart from the tad smaller viewfinder, which shouldn’t be much of an issue, I think it makes sense to get the m-d and more lenses. Also, not sure how you’ll take it, but past weeks I’ve been busy shooting my m6 and portra, and rediscovering why I love film so much. So the m-d even might have to wait. It’s the convenience of the uploading and the editing and posting on social media with the digital workflow, but man, nothing Beats slowing down, being patient, and the film look... sometimes ... most of the time :) 

If you love shooting film with M bodies, you'll love the M-D.

I think Leica designed it with people like you and me in mind.

• Like 2

That’s good to know plaidshirts. Thanks for the advice. Only one person is selling a second hand (albeit little used according to him) m-d for S$6500. That’s about US$4770. 

Bit too ex I think. I’ll try Wait for one that’s a better deal then I might get. Meanwhile shooting the m6 w portra 160. :) 

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know how many M-D 262s were produced? I believe that production of the M-D 262 began in April 2016, and stopped in April 2018, but I cannot find out how many were produced during that two-year period. I have read that 600 M60s were produced, but I am curious how many M-D 262s were produced - can anyone help? Nick

• Like 2

14 hours ago, nickd said:

Does anyone know how many M-D 262s were produced? I believe that production of the M-D 262 began in April 2016, and stopped in April 2018, but I cannot find out how many were produced during that two-year period. I have read that 600 M60s were produced, but I am curious how many M-D 262s were produced - can anyone help? Nick

I had same questions asking for a while, but until now no precise answer yet.

My bet is some hundreds only of M-D made.

Maybe Leica or your Leica Dealer (who can have a Leica ressource) can answer ?

Edited by a.noctilux

• 2 months later...