Auto Focus Capability SL 90-280mm

sillbeers15

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I know that many in the forum see the SL as a good body for the existing M & R lenses.

However I see the extended photography application of the SL + two zooms,...over my M240 + M & R lenses. Therefore I have been trying to resist shooting my SL with my manual focus lenses (will eventually get to them) and trying to establish my comfort zone with my SL + AF zooms.

It has been shared by many that the Vario Elmarit 24-90mm has a good AFs / Static auto focus function and a not so good AFc / Focus Tracking function that isn't reliable.

However the APO Vario Elmarit 90-280mm has dual micro motors to speed up focusing and it is my firm believe that the AF function of a camera isn't just about the camera alone. It is the lens + body combination to determine the overall AF capability.

While I still have limited handling experience with the 90-280mm. I can only say that the focusing speed for static object is really fast. I have yet been able to conclude if the AFc / Tracking is any better than the 24-90mm. Any other thoughts?

It has been shared by many that the Vario Elmarit 24-90mm has a good AFs / Static auto focus function and a not so good AFc / Focus Tracking function that isn't reliable.

Focus tracking became a lot better in Firmware V2.  I don't use focus tracking often (I have it set up as my 4th user profile) but, as long as it picks up the subject, it seems to track it OK, especially for approaching and receding subjects.   Occasionally it has trouble figuring what is the subject but that's seems to be only when the subject is against a busy background.

Focus tracking became a lot better in Firmware V2. I don't use focus tracking often (I have it set up as my 4th user profile) but, as long as it picks up the subject, it seems to track it OK, especially for approaching and receding subjects. Occasionally it has trouble figuring what is the subject but that's seems to be only when the subject is against a busy background.

Or a subject with strong back light

Edit - "And" a subject with strong back light, not "or"

Edited by TheGodParticle
  • Like 1

Or a subject with strong back light

Edit - "And" a subject with strong back light, not "or"

Thanks to both feedback, I had similar experiences using both zooms. Now I'm learning to 'best use' the Focus Tracking on the 90-280mm. I'll post my comments when I have gain sufficient mileage.