Woops!

tashley

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Went to my dealer today to pick up my replacement 28 cron but Leica had forgotten to ship it to him for today as they had promised. Out of curiosity (and because my backup M8 body is in Solms and when it returns, the one I currently have will follow in its footsteps, thereby leaving me with no backup for up to three months) I asked Bart (the dealer) if he had a second hand MP in stock. I'd thought of one because it can operate at all shutter speeds with no battery.

He had. A two year old unwanted gift that had never had film in it and with a passport good til 2010, plus fast winder and Leicavit. All mine for the handsome sum of £1,800 which is about 1,000 less than what that setup would cost new at discount. Plus he threw in some film.

How exciting. Now I have a 'real' backup and the pleasure of being able to shoot some film.

Can't wait to crank some rolls through and just think how much money I saved by not buying a MATE, now discontinued.

Tra la la.

Tim

Great choice- great camera. Go shoot some Neopan 1600 - just can't get close to that look with the M8!

I will indeed, though with a top shutter speed of 1000 methinks I'll be buying it in short rolls...

Best

t

Tim has spent a lot of time testing for focus errors and focus shift on stopping down, so it would be interesting to know whether the results are the same on an MP and to compare how sensitive film and digital are to these effects.

Next item for your shopping list Tim, if you don't already have one, is a film scanner...

Tim has spent a lot of time testing for focus errors and focus shift on stopping down, so it would be interesting to know whether the results are the same on an MP and to compare how sensitive film and digital are to these effects.

Next item for your shopping list Tim, if you don't already have one, is a film scanner...

Hi Mark

I'm not sure that I agree - it seems to me that unless you spend £15,000 or £20,000 then you really aren't doing it justice.

Surely it's better to find a really good lab to do your scanning for you - let's face it, you're going to be able to do a lot of films before you've spent enough to cover the cost of a goods scanner. Especially if you start factoring in the cost of your own time.

I've been here - I used a Nikon 5000 (I think, the more expensive one), and I really didn't think it interracted with the film grain very well. I'm not sure it's worth getting anything less than one of the Imacon scanners.

Let's face it, there isn't much point in putting up with all the hassle of film to get second rate results.

Jono, I'm sure you're right, I've never met anyone who doesn't think scanning is a pain and there's no point cutting corners turning your exposed images into usable files.

Still, I admire Tim's ability to make such an impulse purchase! Me, I would have held out for a TE... (but then I haven't done film since 1999)

Congratulations Tim!

I did quite a study on this camera, and decided to buy it a la carte. (I've been waiting now for seven weeks, but it's supposed to arrive 'soon')

Can't wait really. I love the M8, but to work once again with film stock will be a delight...

As for scanning: Here's my film/scan workflow...

- Have the films developed only.

- Batch-scan my rolls with the V750 PRO in a resolution good enough to judge the photo's.

- Don't worry too much about colour correction.

- Negatives I really like and want to print for customers, I just have scanned by a pro lab.

the difference between the V750 PRO and the Nikon scanners is, I think, not as interesting as the difference between Epson/Nikon and professional Imacon/Heidelberg scanners.

The money and time I save batch scanning my rolls of film on the V750 PRO, is well spent on the pro-lab scans when I really need the quality.

BTW the scanning quality of the V750PRO is quite good, and one roll of film doesn't take a whole lot of time.

Hi Peter

Congratulations Tim!

I did quite a study on this camera, and decided to buy it a la carte. (I've been waiting now for seven weeks, but it's supposed to arrive 'soon')

Black body, red lizardskin, engraved name?

Can't wait really. I love the M8, but to work once again with film stock will be a delight...

As for scanning: Here's my film/scan workflow...

- Have the films developed only.

- Batch-scan my rolls with the V750 PRO in a resolution good enough to judge the photo's.

- Don't worry too much about colour correction.

- Negatives I really like and want to print for customers, I just have scanned by a pro lab.

the difference between the V750 PRO and the Nikon scanners is, I think, not as interesting as the difference between Epson/Nikon and professional Imacon/Heidelberg scanners.

The money and time I save batch scanning my rolls of film on the V750 PRO, is well spent on the pro-lab scans when I really need the quality.

BTW the scanning quality of the V750PRO is quite good, and one roll of film doesn't take a whole lot of time.

Hi Peter

I did my film penance last autumn, but I bought a Nikon 5000 ED and really regretted it, as you say, the V750 does a grand job, but neither are perfect.

It's possible that if I'd gone down that route I'd still have my M6ttl . . . . incidentally, and interestingly (for me anyway) I traded my M6ttl (+£300) in for a tri-elmar at the same dealer as Tim bought his MP.

It's a funny old world ;-)

Jono, I'm sure you're right, I've never met anyone who doesn't think scanning is a pain and there's no point cutting corners turning your exposed images into usable files.

Still, I admire Tim's ability to make such an impulse purchase! Me, I would have held out for a TE... (but then I haven't done film since 1999)

I can match Tim on impulse purchase any old day - I bought a second tri-elmar on ebay the day before yesterday, mint condition, latest model, boxed, serial number, wrong category £460 whoopeeee - but it seems it's just another boring old Western Union fraud, which is sad - especially sad, as, if it had been okay I could have sold it to Tim for a respectable profit!

I did a month's penance with film last October - I don't think I'll ever do it again, fun though it was.

I've actually had some clients ask me to shoot on film (b&w) for the look. I'm like..."well I have this new 5K camera..." Anyway, I have an Imacon 646 so I still really enjoy film, esp MF. MF really is different - different look and different way of working (esp the Rollei twin lens). Also the Hasselblad SWC. I wish the M8 was the end all be all but sorry folks it just ain't.

Oh, and Tim, generally when Neopan 1600 comes in most handy you won't be sweating having only a top speed of 1/1000. But you'll love the hand-holdability of the MP at 1/15 and below! And try rating it at 800 - it's got a silky yet grainy smoothness like no other.

For grungy go with good ol Tri-X; for all around low grain and high DR try Fuji NP 400.

Black body, red lizardskin, engraved name?

Hi Jono,

perhaps my wife would have liked me to buy the configuration you suggested...:)

But I chose: '100% clean, 0% obtrusive...'

The difference in price between the standard MP and this a la carte is 'only' €200,- and for that I got to choose a 0.85 viewfinder and configure this stealthy camera...

Cheers,

Peter

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Congratulations Tim. I'm really enjoying having my M7 along with the M8. And while I guess I'm admitting something I perhaps should not, I'm finding the coolscan 5000, using Vuescan, does a rather good job at least on B&W. So far mostly using Ilford XP2 not only for the ease of C41 processing but for it's smooth tonality. Looking forward to your MP's output. best.....Peter

Tim--must be something in the water--I just yesterday bought Rob Stevenson's M6 TTL .85 ;)

So when you come here we can do "comparisons" over pints of all three cameras. Did I mention over beer? It's hot here ;) Jono--this is when you want to come here and take landscape stuff in the Niagara valleys :)

As for scanning, I have a Nikon 4000ED which I do hate. I got it to work, but there's gotta be something better out there by now, right?

Can anyone give me the 4 line skinny on this?

Nikon vs Epson flatbed? How is the flatbed in particular? I'm thinking not too many people like their Nikon...

What's Imacon up to these days?

Jamie,

The Nikon 5000 or 9000 are worlds better than the Epson flatbed. The 9000 is very slightly better than the 5000, but is faster and can do medium format.

Imacon is very expensive and doesn't do digital ICE, so you have to retouch any dust or scratches manually.

Nikon Scan the included software, when set-up properly can actually do a fairly decent quick job. I like Vuescan to really pull the detail out of the negs.

Best,

Ray