GPS problem on SL

umosydney

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi all, I've been using the SL since December last year. I remembered that when I got it, my GPS worked fine. 

After a trip in India last April, my GPS stop to work as it shows the "X" symbol on the top display of the camera.

I've tried to reset the camera with my M lens on it and it still doesn't work. I am outdoor when I reset the camera too.

So, is there anyone having this problem as me? Please recommend. Thank you

Hi all, I've been using the SL since December last year. I remembered that when I got it, my GPS worked fine. 

After a trip in India last April, my GPS stop to work as it shows the "X" symbol on the top display of the camera.

I've tried to reset the camera with my M lens on it and it still doesn't work. I am outdoor when I reset the camera too.

So, is there anyone having this problem as me? Please recommend. Thank you

I don't know this problem, but it sounds a little bit like the SL is thinking it is in a state which doesn't allow GPS (like China).

(In the manual it is mentioned)

I've found the GPS on the SL to be quite good at hooking up delivers accurate results, but occasionally it loses its connection and I get a run of photos with no GPS information. If I see this persisting for very long, I disable GPS, power the camera off, wait few moments, power the camera on, and then re-enable GPS. It usually hooks back up in a minute or two. I've only had to do that once or twice since I bought the SL last November; GPS operation has been very robust. 

I'm sure the robustness of the GPS system has a great deal to do with where you are shooting ... what kind of terrain, what kind of large structures might obfuscate the system, etc. Most of my shooting has been either in the San Francisco Bay Area in California and New York where signals are generally pretty clean and (except in Manhattan) there are few tall structures to confuse the system. It doesn't work very well in the confines of my condominium, however, because this is a multi-unit building made of stressed concrete and steel. 

Guest satrycon

may not work that well downtown near all the tall buildings sukumvit/silom/ siam etc etc ?

i am in Bangkok, Thailand. By the way, the GPS thing used to work for few photos then it disappeared

i am in Bangkok, Thailand. By the way, the GPS thing used to work for few photos then it disappeared

The GPS definitely works in Bangkok. I live there too and find that the GPS tagging appears on most images.

However, it doesn't always work. Sometimes the first few images after switching on the camera has no GPS data. I assume that it's just taking a while to acquire enough satellite signals. And, of course, they'll always be some locations where it cannot acquire enough satellites to triangulate the location - especially around tall buildings, inside solid structures and underwater...

Regards

Peter

http://www.peterwalker.com