Need some help please. Lost a part

brentb

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I need some help please. I lost the screw for my Angelo Pelle case for my M240. this is the screw that holds the case to the camera, and has an inner thread for a tripod, with a slot to tighten with something like a coin. I fired off an email to Angelo, asking for a replacement, but need to look to an alternative source, as I'm going on a vacation trip very shortly, and not sure one would arrive from Italy before I leave, so if someone has a source, please advise. I looked on BH photo but can't find anything similar. 

thanks
Brent

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Well, I see two possibilities, as a `last resort´ solution to save your trip if that replacement doesn´t in fact reach you in time.

First one: leave that case at home, and use the camera "naked".  It would simplify your photographic life a lot.  You might buy one of the soft neoprene cases to protect the camera when packing it, and leave it in the bag or your pocket while actually shooting.

Second, in case you don´t like the idea of a naked camera: go to a aecond-hand camera shop and try to find an old, beat-up everready case for just any camera (EXCEPT an old M Leica; they have the wrong thread, and are too expensive).  Get the screw out of that case (slicing it with a knife if you have to), and use the screw provisionally for the Angelo Pelle.  It will be less convenient, not flush with the bottom, but it will do the job.

• Like 1

Agreed, it was my first thought too, we seem to resort to DIY in NZ possibly due to our slight remoteness.

Thread is simple, 1/4" Whitworth BSW, both sides. Any competent engineering company could sort this easily enough.

Gary

• Like 1

It would surely be simpler simpler without a case, but I like the extra grip it affords while shooting.  Unfortunately, no stores nearby that specialize in old cameras, I did think the same way though and rifled through my collection of old rangefinders with cases, but found nothing suitable that still lets me mount to a tripod, which I plan to be using for some shots. 

Well, I see two possibilities, as a `last resort´ solution to save your trip if that replacement doesn´t in fact reach you in time.

First one: leave that case at home, and use the camera "naked".  It would simplify your photographic life a lot.  You might buy one of the soft neoprene cases to protect the camera when packing it, and leave it in the bag or your pocket while actually shooting.

Second, in case you don´t like the idea of a naked camera: go to a aecond-hand camera shop and try to find an old, beat-up everready case for just any camera (EXCEPT an old M Leica; they have the wrong thread, and are too expensive).  Get the screw out of that case (slicing it with a knife if you have to), and use the screw provisionally for the Angelo Pelle.  It will be less convenient, not flush with the bottom, but it will do the job.

This could solve one problem of mounting the case to the camera, but still leaves me without a tripod socket, and I plan to do some shots using one. 

Knowing the thread form you could go to a hardware store (not a DIY store, but an engineers' store) selling nuts and bolts and walk out with a temporary solution. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Are you suggesting I have one milled? I don't think I'll be able to find anyone that will do that for me on a one piece basis. Or does that mean something different in NZ? Engineering company I mean. 

Agreed, it was my first thought too, we seem to resort to DIY in NZ possibly due to our slight remoteness.

Thread is simple, 1/4" Whitworth BSW, both sides. Any competent engineering company could sort this easily enough.
Gary

Well that would be the simplest, most obvious way, but I'm not looking to change back and forth, and alter my setup. I have a tripod with an quick release plate, that would normally be screwed onto the bottom of the case, into the screw, that is countersunk, and thus flush with the bottom. I was hoping someone would have another source to find an exact replacement that will allow me to stay with my current setup, case for protection and grip, with quick release screwed into it for quick and easy tripod use.  The screw for the quick release plate I have is not long enough to screw through the case, into the camera.  

Take the case off while using the tripod; the argument about liking the grip doesn't apply in this case.

It isn't immune to change. The tripod connection got moved to the middle for digital M cameras and implemented in the body rather than  the baseplate (and moved slightly again) on the M240.

• Like 1

Here in the UK many charity shops have boxes of old, cheap cameras and their cases (and screws). It might be worth popping into any such shops locally and see if they too have similar items available. Just a thought.

• Like 1

I saw on the internet they sell these replacement screws for tripods. Maybe you are able to find one in time.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

I see you're in Canada, so might not be an option, but  B&H stocks a lot of things that look like they might fit the bill. Just look under  Photography /Tripods & Support/Miscellaneous Tripod Parts & Accessories, hopefully you can find something that works. 

• Like 1

With the insurmountable difficulties of not wanting to remove the case (or better still just throw it away) I suggest either cancel the trip or leave the camera at home. There, problem solved.

Wow 250swb. You're so helpful. Are the 7100+ other posts you've made equally as helpful as this one? Its great that you can find the time in your busy life to share your opinion with people just looking for a little help, and tell them how they should or should not be using THEIR equipment instead of offering some actual advice to solve the problem they might be having. Perhaps if it bothers you so much, you should consider avoiding threads where people could possibly mention using THEIR equipment in manners that don't meet your approval.

thanks again to everyone else that responded with suggestions that were meant to be actually helpful.

If your concern is limited to being able to secure the camera case to the camera, i.e. avoid the tragedy of gravity on unsecured camera, it may be no more complicated that taking the camera and case case to your local hardware store and buying an appropriate screw/bolt (1/4,20?) and a washer. Generally speaking, such things are available in nice chrome finish and in various lenghts. The fact that it is a rigged repair would not even be noticeable to casual observer. A slotted screw would still allow you to remove the case with a coin.  The only drawback would be that you would not be able to use tripod with case. Upside is that it may cost less than $1. 

I am pretty sure it is a 1/4, 20 thread pitch. You are in luck. It is hard to find any significant mechanical device that does not include 1/4,20 screws/bolts in its construction......very common.

No need to go to specialty hardware store. WalMart probably stocks a variety of appropriate bolts/screws and washers.

Edited by Wayne
  • Like 1

A 1/4-20 screw of appropriate length through the quick release plate into the camera capturing the case between the QR plate and the camera. It means leaving the QR plate on the camera so you are always ready to go with the tripod.

• Like 1