Leica SL or Hasselblad X1D

MVCG

Advertisement (gone after registration)

these guys are quite busy with the x1D >

I can compare directly to my A7R2.....

DR is somewhat similar but the MF files are more pliable. They can be pushed harder. Especially in the lower and mid tones. Colour transitions are better. This applies to my X1D, S007 and 645Z systems. Side by side the difference is more obvious than the numbers would say. I do not own a D810 though.

EVF resolution is the same as the A7R2. I don't see the issue. The SL stands alone on EVF quality, currently.

The EVF blackout is a result of resetting the leaf shutters. Reminds me of the M8/9 without the grind and whir....

I have tried the GFX. Great camera. Faster AF and all round performance than the X1D. Probably a better choice for most. But there is a noticeable difference in size and handling plus the leaf shutter lenses. I chose the X1D because of it's size, weight and the LS lenses (because I can get an entire system for the cost of two Leica S CS lenses). For me this is a landscape and studio camera. SO that makes sense. The GFX is far more of an all rounder. But with it's size not really different to the S007 or P645Z I already have (except it's mirrorless.).

I think you'll like the GFX. I think most people will like the GFX. It's not pretty but it sure works well. It's designed by a real smart cookie that one. When I played with it there were more than a few things that were just really well executed. The lenses are good. All in all I think it's the better overall system *if* you don't want the LS lenses and small size/weight advantage the X1D allows.

As good as the IQ from the A7R2 is. You won't pick it up once you see the files from these babies.....

Gordon

Turn off the bombastic sound  - or at least turn it down to an acceptable level - and all there is left is a boring self-ad.

What a pile of cheap cr ....      are you all fools not to recognize this ?  

(Don't take it personally but ask yourself what you would say to your children or grand-children, if they ask you for a "balanced" opinion.)

Maybe you should simply go back to school and get a little bit of media education.

Would I show this to my "loved ones" ? Yes but then add right away, that they should take this as a negative sample.

Edited by steppenw0lf

Turn off the bombastic sound  - or at least turn it down to an acceptable level - and all there is left is a boring self-ad.

(Don't take it personally but ask yourself what you would say to your children or grand-children, if they ask you for a "balanced" opinion.)

Maybe you should simply go back to school and get a little bit of media education.

Would I show this to my "loved ones" ? Yes but then add right away, that they should take this as a negative sample.

No idea what you're talking about, Stefan. It is certainly, however, not very wise to intimate that everyone besides yourself is a fool.  :mellow:

• Like 1

Please take more care not to insult other members.

• Like 8

Actually I think there is some quite good slick commercial work there.

• Like 3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

No idea what you're talking about, Stefan. It is certainly, however, not very wise to intimate that everyone besides yourself is a fool.  :mellow:

Misunderstanding, I was not addressing your note, Godfrey, but the video before that.

Sorry, if you feel insulted - not my intention. I added a reply, and it was automatically placed at the end of the list - so there is sometimes a "wrong order". (It looks like the answer to your note, but it was not meant to be.)

The video hit a nerve with me, so that I did not notice anything else at the time (including your remarks.)   :)

• Like 1

I''ve been heavily contemplating getting into medium format to shoot with alongside my SL with M & R lenses, especially at the price points of the Fuji & 'Blad.

Won't be happening anytime soon.

Was shooting in Chicagol yesterday, also today, for a large utility using the SL.

I'll be passing on the medium format camera system.

My shoot (in Chi.) played a major role in that decision. I saw 4 x 5 foot photo murals I photographed in 2016 using my 24 MP Leica SL hanging in my client's corporate office all shot with M & R lenses.

Initially I was concerned about how the large images would look. They looked much better than I thought they ever could, to the point that I would see virtually no benefit in buying into a much larger files' size camera system. That thought and combined with the versatility of that I get using a 35 mm mirror lists system makes it a much more amenable solution for my shooting.

The SL's dynamic range is better than anything I've ever used. The cost value versus performance gain to buy into MF, is absolutely not worth the financial investment at this time.

• Like 2

Misunderstanding, I was not addressing your note, Godfrey, but the video before that.

Sorry, if you feel insulted - not my intention. I added a reply, and it was automatically placed at the end of the list - so there is sometimes a "wrong order". (It looks like the answer to your note, but it was not meant to be.)

The video hit a nerve with me, so that I did not notice anything else at the time (including your remarks.)   :)

I'm not feeling insulted, and didn't think that your post was a direct response to mine. 

It remains rather unwise to intimate that everyone beside yourself is a fool, no matter how the ordering of messages might work. That's the point of my note.

• Like 1

I''ve been heavily contemplating getting into medium format to shoot with alongside my SL with M & R lenses, especially at the price points of the Fuji & 'Blad.

The SL's dynamic range is better than anything I've ever used. The cost value versus performance gain to buy into MF, is absolutely not worth the financial investment at this time.

The SL is brilliant, no question. And the cost vs performance equation for MF digital in light of the SL's performance is certainly a barrier if that's what you're basing your desire/need on. 

I have considered MF digital a niche player for my photographic interests. It only makes sense for me to consider the X1D if/when the ultrawide 22mm lens and/or the 100mm Macro lens become available. These are niche uses in my photography that would benefit from the larger 50Mpixel sensor. Whether it makes financial sense ... that's another matter which will weigh into a purchase decision once the lenses are available. Right now, I'd say it's unlikely I'll buy one—it's a lot of money and while I can afford it, there are other things I'd rather do with the money. But I can't say "not never" either; it depends on where my priorities are in the next year and beyond, when the lenses become available. 

(I so enjoy using the film Hasselblads anyway, I'm not sure I can bring myself to part with them. And I'd have to do that to buy the X1D.)

• Like 1

There is no point in slagging off either of these cameras they are both brilliant. They are a similar price and cost and reasonably comparable, but both have different strengths. If you write down all the attributes of both cameras they will have commonalities and differences. So it really depends upon how you intend to use the camera as to which is best for you. For me for weddings it would be the X1D for reportage the SL and so on. 

I assume that you mean SL for weddings and X1D for studio.

The X1D has great IQ but it is so slow that you might miss the wedding :-)

I dunno, but that seems kinda silly. If I could shoot an entire wedding with a Rolleiflex TLR ... no automation at all, manual focus and no meter in the body, twelve shots and reload ... and get excellent results, there's no reason in the universe that I could not do the same thing with an X1D.

A wedding is not about speed; it's about expression and timing. You don't need speed to have good timing. 

Edited by ramarren
  • Like 2

A wedding is not about speed; it's about expression and timing. You don't need speed to have good timing. 

Well  if you miss the important seconds of a wedding the bride will not be very happy with the results what will e.g. not show them how the rings went on the fingers and so on.

So you need certainly to have the speed.

And this is not what an X1D is giving you.

You can believe me that this is true.

I did a wedding with an X1D and did not feel very comfortable!

Now with my A9 things look different, even with leica lenses attached!

You might see this different, no problem, we do not need to have the same opinion. :-)

Cherio

John

I think I "could" shoot a wedding with my X1D. I'd need a bunch of batteries and you could never turn it off because of the start up speed but it could be done. For me though I'll still be taking my SL and *that* 50mm. :) If I needed MF usage I'd take my S because the format is the same and those lenses are both brilliant and compatible with the SL as well. My X1D will be used in areas it can excel rather than places I need to compromise to use it.

Gordon

• Like 1

LOL! Hitting the right seconds is a matter of timing, not speed. Things in a wedding don't move all that fast. :D

But who cares? I don't intend to ever shoot a wedding again anyway. 

And if I buy an X1D, since I already have an SL I'll have both cameras and can then pick the right one for whatever endeavor I'm looking to get involved with. :)

They're obviously quite different so the notion of 'one or the other' depends on what you feel you can do with them more than anything else.

LOL! Hitting the right seconds is a matter of timing, not speed. Things in a wedding don't move all that fast. :D

But who cares? I don't intend to ever shoot a wedding again anyway. 

And if I buy an X1D, since I already have an SL I'll have both cameras and can then pick the right one for whatever endeavor I'm looking to get involved with. :)

They're obviously quite different so the notion of 'one or the other' depends on what you feel you can do with them more than anything else.

Mostly I'd agree with you. I don't get those who think a wedding is a sports shoot with their D5 and drive set to continuous high.

But the X1D, in it's current form has some real quirks in start up speeds and the way it sleeps. Start up is 7-9 seconds. And coming out of sleep it goes to the info screen first and then to live view. VF blackout is also a second. There's a fractional delay when pushing the shutter. It gets the shot but it doesn't feel like it has so you have this need to check, another staggered process. I like the camera but it sure is quirky.

The X1D almost feels like an old school MF camera in use. And if you still shoot weddings that way it'd be great. But I moved on from that 10 years ago and we shoot more spontaneously as well as the considered parts. I don't shoot 3000 frames like some do but more than the 300 I did with film.

The SL, as you know, just feels ready. All the time. If they were both in the bag I would use the X1D for the formal portraits and when the leaf shutter lenses become useful. Otherwise I'd have the SL for everything else. In fact I'd much prefer to have two SL's, which is what I do when shooting weddings. I did shoot a few weddings this year with an SL and an S and that was fantastic. I loved it. But I don't think the clients see the difference and so it'd be hard to justify the extra costs.

So I could shoot with the X1D at a wedding. But after the SL it would actually annoy me enough to be distracting so I wouldn't take it. For landscapes and studio it's a joy.

Gordon

• Like 2

Used to shoot weddings with an RZ67 with motor drive attached. Makes me laugh recalling the size, weight and noise that thing made; 20 shots per roll of 220. At least I had 3 magazines :) Still shoot about 15-20/year, using the SL for 90% and Canon DS series for the remaining 10% of a gig. Styles have changed and couple want spontaniety are not sophisticated enough to realize or care about the benefits of MF. Weddings are contiunuously methodical 8-12 hour events that demand the shooter catch fleeting snippets that no medium format can capture IMO. My go-to lens for a wedding (or other PR-type) gig is the SL & M 35mm Summilux. F5.6 for many formals, and F1.4 if I want the Overgaard look. A thing of beauty and very light weight, I'm guessing less than 1/4 the weight of the now-retired RZ.

• Like 3