Leica SL or Hasselblad X1D

MVCG

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Can only speak as a landscape photographer, but so far am very impressed with the X1d these past few months. The image quality is superb, well beyond anything I have used before in digital, and is my first digital medium format. The ergonomics are a piece of art, in my opinion. That would tip the scale for me between the GFX and X1d. Only limitation is number of lenses available, and more are coming. I can not comment on the use of flash, which I do not use. But I would think, maybe, maybe not, the portability and ease of handling would be a plus for studio work, weddings, etc., as some say is 'pro' work.

For a short while I considered dropping my M system and concentrating on medium format only. It was that much better in IQ, the X1D. But I have recently come to the conclusion there is more variety with M lenses in terms of image character that was worth it to maintain those choices. So keeping both systems.

• Like 2

Professional work - commercial, product, corporate portraits, weddings etc (the kind of work that medium format is designed for).

I do my occasional commercial, tabletop product, macro, sports, and corporate portrait jobs very handily with the SL and the M. I wouldn't spend the money for either an X1D or a GFX for those things: despite the larger sensor, etc, there's little need for that bonus for 99% of most clients needs. If/when I buy an X1D it will be for ultra-wide and art, landscape and portraiture types of work.

I'd be interested to hear opinions on the X1D from those who have bought one? I'm considering one now, can't find a whole lot in the recent pages of this thread.

I'm loving the X1D for portrait work - shooting into the sun is no problem and syncing with a trigger up to max shutter speed. (Main reason I was interested). Colour is fantastic out of the camera, especially skin tones. It's got a few quirks, but then what doesn't?

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I got half way thru it and got tired of the whining. Jeeeeez. It's not a camera for everyone. Good for slowing down, and you are rewarded with beautiful shots which is what really matters. All this whining matters not.....

The Camera store has their own style... Even though they didn't like the camera I did find the video informational and I got out of it what I wanted, ie. whether the camera would work for myself or not, which I guess is the most important...

Edited by JorisV
  • Like 3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I got half way thru it and got tired of the whining. Jeeeeez. It's not a camera for everyone. Good for slowing down, and you are rewarded with beautiful shots which is what really matters. All this whining matters not.....

No need to whine about the review. :)

Jeff

Strange colors, not lifelike. Far from reality. Some would say much better than reality ...     Good for "artsy" pics. (Everything dead looks full of life (stones, buildings, metal stuff), but living things look too colorful - artificial). A dull rainy day looks like indian summer.    (Maybe good for business.)

And for portraits ?   People with heavy make-up will look great (take it to Venice), but what about the average business photo ?  But of course it can easily be corrected in PP/Focus.

Poor bokeh - actually terrible bokeh (octogonal highlights). What is the explanation for this ? The special shutter ? Others found that too, but first I thought it is a mistake and will be corrected. This is worse than any other camera. AFAIK the H6D does not have this problem - or does it ?

This is almost unbelievable - looks like a construction error.   And cannot be corrected in PP.   (looks like crap).

I would definitely expect Hasselblad to fix this.

Edited by steppenw0lf
  • Like 1

Hasselblad X1D vs. M10 - one quick test shot from the store today at ISO1600 and 1/90 for both. 45/3.5 @f3.5 for the X1D and Summicron 35/2.0 @f/2.8 for the M10. Both processed in LR to match. Phocus gave me funny results for the X1D file here. It converts the 3FR files into 3F files upon import and brightened the image somehow so that details in the highlights got lost. I would much prefer LR for the X1D files, I think.

Full reslution versions that can be downloaded here: https://www.smugmug.com/gallery/n-9FSKSS/

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Chaemono
  • Like 1

To me it would be more a question of which MF camera to get rather than comparing X1D against a Leica 35mm FF. 

On paper the Fuji GFX seems a better bet as more MF lenses can be adapted to it. Looking at Flickr, it seems there are twice as many groups and twice as many members of the Fuji group than the Hasselblad group. 

If I was in the market for a new camera body, I would be tempted more by the Fuji than the Hasselblad. 

Neither would make me give up my SL though. 

To me it would be more a question of which MF camera to get rather than comparing X1D against a Leica 35mm FF. 

On paper the Fuji GFX seems a better bet as more MF lenses can be adapted to it. Looking at Flickr, it seems there are twice as many groups and twice as many members of the Fuji group than the Hasselblad group. 

If I was in the market for a new camera body, I would be tempted more by the Fuji than the Hasselblad. 

Neither would make me give up my SL though.

Either Fuji or the Hasselblad would be fine for medium format. I chose the X1d for the build and ergonomics, which is simpler which is what I prefer. Hold onto your SL, or M, or ..... These arguments up here comparing 35mm performance to medium format, is just ridiculous. Medium format is a different application and look, and pace of photography. If you want 'bokeh' for example, you use a lens and camera combination that lends itself to good out of focus attribute. It's not a measure of overall performance. Picking the X1d apart just because doesn't perform some singled out attribute......is not fair. It would be far better to compare medium format to medium format.

And for those still giving credence to The Camera Store review on YouTube, let me point out that the camera sample they based the review on was pre production. Not saying the production version is perfect, but a lot of the complaints on that video were due to not being a finished product. Am surprised they didn't update to a production copy. A lots of the issues work fine on the production version. At least, mine works fine.

• Like 1

For a short while I considered dropping my M system and concentrating on medium format only. It was that much better in IQ, the X1D. But I have recently come to the conclusion there is more variety with M lenses in terms of image character that was worth it to maintain those choices. So keeping both systems.

I agree. Would like to see for myself. I'm renting the X1D next weekend.

Edited by Chaemono

I agree. Would like to see for myself. I'm renting the X1D next weekend.

And, I would recommend just using LR for testing. I haven't warmed up to Phocus yet. Have not seen any advantage to it other than is free. Good luck! And do test the Fuji also? Both giving great images for medium format, so far I have seen. Each has its own fortes and weaknesses.

Thanks for the LR advice. Will do. On the X1D and the Fuji, they are not for me. I actually have no need for a portable MF camera. The qualties of the X1D sensor are known as it has been out for a while. I'm more interested to see what the two XCD lenses are like. Love the design of the X1D especially when one knows that it contains a big sensor. But I cannot help thinking that they cut corners with the lenses. Lenses are the only reason I moved to Leica. My rental fee will be partly applied to another purchase at the store so the whole thing will be mainly to satisfy my curiosity first hand by looking at lots of pictures.

Edited by Chaemono

Thanks for the LR advice. Will do. On the X1D and the Fuji, they are not for me. I actually have no need for a portable MF camera. The qualties of the X1D sensor are known as it has been out for a while. I'm more interested to see what the two XCD lenses are like. Love the design of the X1D especially when one knows that it contains a big sensor. But I cannot help thinking that they cut corners with the lenses. Lenses are the only reason I moved to Leica. My rental fee will be partly applied to another purchase at the store so the whole thing will be mainly to satisfy my curiosity first hand by looking at lots of pictures.

Have wondered the same, as the X1d lenses are much cheaper than other Hasselblad lenses. Also pretty darn lightweight. But no complaints so far with mine.

Can only speak as a landscape photographer, but so far am very impressed with the X1d these past few months. The image quality is superb, well beyond anything I have used before in digital, and is my first digital medium format. The ergonomics are a piece of art, in my opinion. 

...... therein lies the answer ..... horses for courses.  :)

very few .... if any ...... cameras do absolutely everything very well or function to the complete satisfaction of the user. 

we all end up with the 'least worst ' option. 

The SL is a very good all-round option doing most things very well and relatively painlessly.  If I didn't have a safe full of Leica gear, had deep pockets and a persistent interest in landscape or studio photography then MF would certainly tempt me .....

...... therein lies the answer ..... horses for courses.  :)

very few .... if any ...... cameras do absolutely everything very well or function to the complete satisfaction of the user. 

we all end up with the 'least worst ' option. 

The SL is a very good all-round option doing most things very well and relatively painlessly.  If I didn't have a safe full of Leica gear, had deep pockets and a persistent interest in landscape or studio photography then MF would certainly tempt me .....

The Hasselblad X1d, and Fuji GFX, price wise are closer the cost of the SL or M system. Within grasp. I wrote much earlier that the point of buying either was to do medium format which was never in my budget by a long shot up until now, and I jumped at the chance. Having shot film medium format earlier, was something I missed once moved to digital. These cameras don't compete really with any 35mm setup for being 'least worst' option, if I may add. Hang onto your SL. They however open the doors to medium format, larger sensors, and more options in my photography tools. Is refreshing.

I too have a hoard of M glass. Slimming that down to just essential, trying at least. But future purchases will be related to medium format. Am done feeding my 35mm camera systems. They all work, fill that niche, and no need to upgrade.

On paper the Fuji GFX seems a better bet 

First: neither the X1D nor the DFX are medium format, which starts at 45x60 (the small medium format), thats why Fuji calls it G-Format, which is fair. The G-format is right inbetween Leica format and small medium format. Everything else is markting blabla. And, remember: Leica format is twice the area of APSC, but the G-format is just 1,5 times larger than the Leica format. Comparably a small difference.

I fully agree: if I would think about G-format, I would go for the Fuji. The design is inferior compared to Hasselbald (well, tastes differ) but GFX is far more versatile, because of the shutter. It makes the body bigger. But I can use other lenses as well (e.g. V-lenses) and what will Hasselbald do with shutter integrated lenses, when global shutter sensors arrive on the market?

Regards

Martin

Edited by saxo