Leica SL or Hasselblad X1D

MVCG

Ready to buy the Hasselblad X1D if the EVF performs. Put my credit card back in the wallet on the SL 

What about the two caused you to consider them competitors?

Resolution is very different. Sensor size is very different. Speed is very different. Adaptability with legacy lenses is very different. Available system lenses are very different. 

Form factor is similar and both have EVFs. Other than that I don't see why I'd compare the two. 

• Like 5

Does anyone else feel somewhat put off by the orange shutter button?

Hasselblad introduced it on the H6D. Looks like a consumer camera: "hey dummy, press the big orange button to take a snapshot".

:)

Edited by Peter Walker
  • Like 1

The X1D body is compact, the lenses are not, they are "midrange" lenses. So the cameras are not really comparable, they belong to different worlds.

E.g. SL with 11 frames/s, fast AF, with zooms of extra-wide focal range, high flexibility to use R and M lenses and many more SLR lenses and a great EVF.

X1D with only 2 frames/s, slower AF (in all likelihood), only Hasselblad lenses of "midrange" format and price (X and H), mediocre EVF.

That makes the X1D comparable to a S rather than the SL. So this is for a different clientele with a different budget.

The only thing in common for the SL and X1D is the EVF. (and the missing mirror, but can a missing feature be one they have in common ?)

Almost the only thing not in common for the S and the X1D is the finder (EVF vs OVF).

Even the 50MP are not extraordinary - I rather use a 5DS if needed. (which plays in the same ballpark as the SL)

It's funny to read about the Fast AF of the SL as an advantage and at the same time using adapters to use old non-AF- lenses seem to be no problem for the SL- Users... (what other choice do they have)

It's funny to read about the Fast AF of the SL as an advantage and at the same time using adapters to use old non-AF- lenses seem to be no problem for the SL- Users... (what other choice do they have)

I use both. The choice is two excellent zooms with fast AF or a large number of excellent manual focus primes. What is funny about that?

• Like 2

It's not my fault. An AF lens is ordered since several months. But I am not in the VIP circle and have not yet received my item.

Do you expect that I keep AF a secret until my lens arrives ?

The strength of the SL (for me) is its flexibility.

I like using manual focus lenses, otherwise I would not have a M. And every day I am amazed again at some manual lenses like the WATE. But I also like the old Contax lenses like the unpopular 4/80-200. The SL allows me to unite my lenses - old and modern. No generation conflicts anymore.

And at the same time I like the idea to have both options (AF or not), but as a start I would have been happy with a strictly manual focus SL.

(But I use sometimes focus peaking, and this would be gone without AF. So it looks as if I am actually using the AF infrastructure, or is this technically wrong as the newer Ms do also have it ?)

The flexibility is for me more important than the AF, though I did not realize this until after I had used the camera for a few days and began opening my drawers of old stuff. The Elmar 4/135 (silver and no M label, of 1961) was one of the first "old darlings" being resurrected.

Additionally, I only express my personal opinion - I do not say, this is the absolute and everlasting truth, FOLLOW ME!

Maybe it is strange or funny, but I like to use a Canon 100-400 with fast AF, and a WATE and do not miss AF. And I dislike the SL 24-90 and find it too big, though it is excellent and much smaller than the Canon 100-400. And I ordered a SL 90-280 though it is much larger than the SL 24-90. (But this is a story like "Waiting for Godot ...* )  ;)

Edited by steppenw0lf
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Ready to buy the Hasselblad X1D if the EVF performs. Put my credit card back in the wallet on the SL 

X1D without question, if there has to be a comparison with Leica SL.

One is a game-changer, the other is a consumer's wet dream. ;)

Edited by honcho
  • Like 2

Why don't we also compare the X1D to the M ? The prices are not too far apart.

The M has a body of about the same size, but it lacks AF and has a smaller sensor with less resolution.

This is enough information to come to the obvious conclusion.

Conclusion:   Buy an X1D instead of an M. The X1D is clearly preferrable to the M.     ;)  :p

Comparison with Canon EOS 1DX: Both have AF, the EOS has a very small sensor and ridiculously low resolution. The EOS body is much bigger. Prices are not too far apart. So the X1D beats the EOS hands-down. Same for Nikon D5.        :)

I can go on like this for a while and in the end I will find hardly any camera that can compete on the same level with the X1D.

It has finally opened my eyes, how could I be so blind for such a long time !

Edited by steppenw0lf

The X1D appeals to me far more than the SL, but to be fair I haven't actually used the Hasselblad yet but neither has anyone else here (have they?) so it's largely based on specs and guesswork at this stage.

The things that appeal are fairly obvious: the relatively small size and light weight and the proven sensor which is widely acknowledged to be a brilliant performer. Against that: how well will the EVF perform, and will it hinder manual focussing,and how effective will the AF be?

The SL attracted me enough to give it two extended trials but I never felt comfortable with it: all the time I was thinking the same thing that I used to think when I used DSLRs: if I have to carry something this bulky around with me, I want a bigger sensor inside it. It's not so big with M lenses of course, but I don't need another camera for that purpose.

But I don't knock the SL for those who like it for its other virtues, of which it has many.

If I had to pay for one now, I'd gamble recklessly on the unknowns v the knowns and go for the X1D. 

Edited by Peter H
  • Like 2

The X1D body is compact, the lenses are not, they are "midrange" lenses. So the cameras are not really comparable, they belong to different worlds.

E.g. SL with 11 frames/s, fast AF, with zooms of extra-wide focal range, high flexibility to use R and M lenses and many more SLR lenses and a great EVF.

X1D with only 2 frames/s, slower AF (in all likelihood), only Hasselblad lenses of "midrange" format and price (X and H), mediocre EVF.

That makes the X1D comparable to a S rather than the SL. So this is for a different clientele with a different budget.

The only thing in common for the SL and X1D is the EVF. (and the missing mirror, but can a missing feature be one they have in common ?)

Almost the only thing not in common for the S and the X1D is the finder (EVF vs OVF).

Even the 50MP are not extraordinary - I rather use a 5DS if needed. (which plays in the same ballpark as the SL)

On paper both the Canon and Hassy offers 50MP.

But a 50MP on a FF and MF is not the same in terms of image quality IMO.

• Like 3

Hasselblad introduced it on the H6D. Looks like a consumer camera: "hey dummy, press the big orange button to take a snapshot".

Oh, I noticed it was orange. Put off? Not at all. I thought it looked cool.  :rolleyes:

The X1D appeals to me far more than the SL, but to be fair I haven't actually used the Hasselblad yet but neither has anyone else here (have they?).....

Not used it for creating images yet, I have one arranged on loan in August. All the reviews will be available by then anyway, but I need hands-on even though I've a pretty good idea of what to expect from it's output. It is very likely going to be my next major purchase, the SL never was a contender from my point of view.

Edited by honcho
  • Like 2

Additionally, I only express my personal opinion - I do not say, this is the absolute and everlasting truth, FOLLOW ME!

Maybe it is strange or funny, but I like to use a Canon 100-400 with fast AF, and a WATE and do not miss AF. And I dislike the SL 24-90 and find it too big, though it is excellent and much smaller than the Canon 100-400. And I ordered a SL 90-280 though it is much larger than the SL 24-90. (But this is a story like "Waiting for Godot ...* )  ;)

Agree, especially on the everlasting truth point.   IMHO the SL is a great tool (not a "wet dream" as one poster snidely said) -- for me -- but I do not suggest in any way that my own preferences are somehow "truer" than those of someone who does not like the SL.   It is not perfect even if it suits my purposes well today.   The discussion here, based on a camera nobody has used yet, would have you think that Hasselblad has achieved the impossible, a camera for everyone.  However, the Hasselblad will have its minus points too.   Every camera does.   The point is the balance of pluses and minuses comes out differently for different people.

I also agree that the 24-90 is too big -- but the quality is excellent and the AF sometimes essential.  Another case of balancing pluses and minuses.

• Like 5

Tell that to all the ladybird/smiley face/red dot softie shutter release users out there...

• Like 1

Shot close to 1000 images for a job yesterday.  3/4 of the shots captured with the SL using M lenses.  For 1/4 of the shots, I needed fast AF and TTL Flash, so I grabbed my DSMKIII & Canon flash.  For this project, I could have used the new Hassy for maybe 50 shots, and the client would not have cared about the additional 51MP.  The Hassy would have been completely unusable for the remainder of the job.  IMO, image sensors are so good across the board, it's more about how/what you shoot, than ultimate sensor fidelity.  For the few jobs I'd shoot that would require the ultimate sensor fidelity, I'd rent a small kit. Much prefer the SL, and eventually when I buy into the SL zoom(s), the Canon could fall off completely.

• Like 2

the one thing i really like about the X1D over the SL is the leaf shutter, and the resultant flash sync at 1/2000 (without power robbing HSS)

that means that instead of fighting sun with my 1DX (or an SL) at 1/250 f11 100iso - i can open the aperture up 3 stops to f4, wind the shutter speed up and shoot at 1/2000 f4 100 iso - and wind three stops of light out of the flash too, which means that instead of needing full power, i can wind it down to 1/8 power and get near-instant recycle, or push it through a modifier or at a greater distance at full power.

but i shoot a bit of sport too - so i need the fast AF and 11fps (and a 400-600mm - which rules the SL out for me at the moment)

i had better just stick with my 1DX and M240 - and live with the lower relative flash output.

the 1hr exposure sounds interesting too.

Edited by Echo63
  • Like 2