280 mm f4.8 Telyt on SL?

mbc 1944

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I would like a cheap way to use a telephoto lens on my SL.  The Leica 280 f 4.8 mm Telyt, which was used on M cameras with a Visoflex, is found on Ebay for three or four hundred dollars.  However, the ads for the lens caution that it is for use with the Visoflex or Focorapid device (whatever that is) or with  a 62.5 mm TXB00 or T2FOD tube (huh?) can fitted on an M240.  Has any one used this lens on an SL?  If so, how?  And what were the results?  Thanks.

Michael

It will work .... and I have the lens and the bits needed to use it ..... I have a TXB00 ... which took a bit of finding, but I recall novoflex made something similar (a set of extension rings that add up to the right length), plus the M-T adapter is needed of course.

I can't imagine the results will be much better than on the M9/M240 ...... which was a bit disappointing ... a fair bit of chromatic aberration and fringing and generally rather low contrast soft images compared to modern lenses unless well stopped down.

You would be better off sticking to R series lenses ..... optically they are much better and not a lot more expensive if you are not too fussy about cosmetic condition. 

I would like a cheap way to use a telephoto lens on my SL.  The Leica 280 f 4.8 mm Telyt, which was used on M cameras with a Visoflex, is found on Ebay for three or four hundred dollars.  However, the ads for the lens caution that it is for use with the Visoflex or Focorapid device (whatever that is) or with  a 62.5 mm TXB00 or T2FOD tube (huh?) can fitted on an M240.  Has any one used this lens on an SL?  If so, how?  And what were the results?  Thanks.

Michael

Michael.

I think you should have a look out for the R 4/250  or the  R 4.8/350 . They are also quite inexpensive nowadays and probably a lot better corrected than the lens you mentioned. I bought both in the last few years for a tiny fraction of their price when new. They are on a high quality level, but of course not as perfect as the Apo lenses. But I like their shape and size, they fit the SL perfectly.

I have seen a old M visoflex lens fitted to a SL just a few days ago. I will add a link as soon as I find it again.

Here it is:   http://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/255625-m-oder-r-an-die-sl/page-3?do=findComment&comment=3050435   (entry 52 ff)

The 280 will in all likelihood work with a TXBOO (whatever it is ;-).

Stephan

Edited by steppenw0lf

I have the R f4 35-70 (think that's the range) and it's a very nice portrait lens. I see in the ads R 80-200 and a 70-210 R zooms. Any recommendations?

The R 4/35-70 Macro (which is actually asperical)  and the  R 4/80-200  are a "pair".  They are both excellent. Look at the MTFs in the wiki.

Together with the R 4/21-35 they formed a "trio" that solved all your lens problems - in the nineties.

Edited by steppenw0lf

I would like a cheap way to use a telephoto lens on my SL. 

My "cheap" telephoto is the Canon FD 300mm f/4 L.  About US$400 in decent condition; internal focus and closer minimum focus distance than the 280/4.8 give it better handling, lower chromatic aberrations (and fixable in processing) and better color saturation results in more pleasing photos.  Note that there is also a non-L version with the same specs.  The L version is preferred.

Many thanks, all, for your suggestions. The SL 90-280 probably can't be matched, but I just can't see carrying one around. The 20-90 zoom is almost more than I can handle.

I cannot speak about the cost of the 90-280mm but handheld shooting it makes one forget about its mass and bulk,...I enjoyed using it as the AF is fast and accurate.

• Like 1

You can find many nice R lenses at a great price that work fantastic on the SL.  I purchased a preowned 180-APO R 3.4 from a photog/associate; originally to use on my M240.  Now using on the SL, the quality is stellar.  See attached sample I shot on-spec for the home builder.  SL with the 180 on tripod with the lens-tripod collar for optimal support.  Shot raw, 50 ISO, 1/5 sec @ F8, with polarizer.  Slight tweaking in LR.  The SL really opens up a wealth of lens options.  Couldn't be happier with the system. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2