Will the Hasselblad X1D accept the S Lenses ?

Leicaiste

Advertisement (gone after registration)

There is a huge difference between an f/2.5 lens and an f/3.5 lens. Not, of course, if you usually shoot at f/8-11, but the extra stop of both light gathering and DoF control make for a larger difference in the look of the photo than, say going from 24MP to 50MP (in my totally biased opinion). Of course, this isn't universal. I have 60MP f/11 photos that need both those numbers. But I use the Contax 645 35/3.5 and the S 35/2.5, and the difference in usability and look wide open is remarkable. All of which is to say that the new Hassy looks fantastic, but it isn't an S replacement for everybody.

(I also find the current crop of mirrorless bodies almost without exception unpleasant to handle. I hope the Hassy is different enough from the Sonys and even the SL. My favorite cameras were the Pentax 67 (with wooden grip), Canon 1-series, and Leica S, so maybe that says more about me than about mirrorless.)

Aaaaand, the universal disclaimer - until I try it, I'll have no idea if it's any good for me or not. I *know* how much I like the S  :D .

Best,

Matt

• Like 3

• 1 year later...

I was thinking about that incorrectly.  Thanks.  Maybe fotodiox or another third party will make a S to X adapter, even without the electronics.  

I think you can commission them to do a special custom stuff for you. But Leica S's coding is proprietary and not open, so most likely it will be a dumb adaptor.

There is a huge difference between an f/2.5 lens and an f/3.5 lens. Not, of course, if you usually shoot at f/8-11, but the extra stop of both light gathering and DoF control make for a larger difference in the look of the photo than, say going from 24MP to 50MP (in my totally biased opinion). Of course, this isn't universal. I have 60MP f/11 photos that need both those numbers. But I use the Contax 645 35/3.5 and the S 35/2.5, and the difference in usability and look wide open is remarkable. All of which is to say that the new Hassy looks fantastic, but it isn't an S replacement for everybody.

We just submitted proofs for a magazine article where I had used the S 35/2.5 wide open from the back of a speeding boat. The images were simply fantastic. Could I have pulled off them off with a 3.5 lens? Maybe, but I doubt it. That extra stop of light and high shutter speed likely made the prints. And the larger pixel pitch probably helped too. Anyway, I agree that the Hassy isn't really an S replacement. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I just posted a picture taken with the S-45 wide open at f/2.8. It really is nice to be able to go to wide apertures. Of course, we have to carry the glass that makes it possible whether or not we shoot wide open, and that's a pain. I've never picked up the Fuji, but I'm sure glad I didn't like the feel of the X1D, or I'd have a real decision to make.

--Matt

If you want to share lenses then the HC lenses are the way to go. S lenses are for the S and SL for now.

I still prefer the S lenses over the XC or HC lenses but I much prefer the X1D body to the S007. Even stopped down the S lenses draw better to the XC lenses. I still think the 008 will be mirrorless which will solve a lot of problems for a lot of people with S gear. OTOH the fast X1D lenses are coming. 65mm 2.8 and a very fast 80mm.

Gordon

• Like 1

I still think the 008 will be mirrorless which will solve a lot of problems for a lot of people with S gear.

If that was ever the case, it’d be my dream camera. Given how Hasselblad and Fuji are ploughing into that space, it seems a logical response for Leica to make the “best” medium format version of such mirrorless camera technology with the best lenses. I think I’m also right in thinking the S, SL, Sinar and the Cine lenses are now all under the same Leica “pro” sub-division? Presumably the DNA for a mirrorless S is already there with the SL, and S lens owners could be readily accommodated with an adapter? And maybe a mirrorless S could tie in with Sinar? (ie, as a “digital back” to a “large format” style camera for movements?). And maybe a mirrorless S would be a decent base for accommodating Leica cine lenses for medium format high-end movies?!

I have absolutely zero idea if any of the above is the grand plan, but there is possibly a lot of cross-pollination within the Leica “pro” group if the next S was mirrorless (rather than another DSLR) that my potentially naive armchair thinking has come up with!!

Edited by Jon Warwick