Will the Hasselblad X1D accept the S Lenses ?

Leicaiste

My guess is that Hasselblad's H lens line is complete and they will not need other lines to fill out the system.  The S format would require a crop mode on Hasselblad.   

The new 'blad is also a small MF sensor. Image circle should be fine.

S series CS lenses could work *if* some one makes an adaptor. Leica and Hassleblad won't do it.

Or it could have a global electronic shutter. Then anything in the MF word could be used with a simple tube adaptor.

Gordon

So far, such adapter has not been announced. It may or may not happen in the future, so nobody really knows. So far, we know that only HC lenses can be adapted. 

I know that many people are ready to sell their kidneys to buy this camera, but if I were you, I'd wait till we all have objective reviews and then decide on a purchase (I myself have no plans to buy it). I'm sure Leica has been aware of Hasselblad's plans for a while and will respond to this release with a better product. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hasselblad's new camera is a very clever and futuristic design.

This new system don't consider the possibility of a mechanical shutter. The flange distance is very short as a consequence.

The mechanical shutter is in the lenses. 

Leica's SL and S systems look chunky and old fashioned in comparison.

• Like 1

This new system don't consider the possibility of a mechanical shutter. The flange distance is very short as a consequence.

Maybe it's just me but I could never understand why someone cares about the way the camera looks... to me, it needs to be comfortable, reliable and capable of taking great pictures in great hands. When the guy who was announcing x1d said that people told him it looked sexy, I thought is it really the most important thing you want to say about the camera?

When the guy who was announcing x1d said that people told him it looked sexy, I thought is it really the most important thing you want to say about the camera?

That was certainly the low point in an otherwise tedious presentation.

I am very interested but not in a rush. It isn't like my skills exceed the capability of my current Leica system. 

That was certainly the low point in an otherwise tedious presentation.

I am very interested but not in a rush. It isn't like my skills exceed the capability of my current Leica system. 

Mark, I feel the same! But I'm sure Leica's response is on the way. All these cameras have been in development for 1-2 years already. 

• Like 1

If the information on another forum is correct and the older HC and HCD cannot be used reliably in an Autofocus mode, than the S is a better platform for a person with older HC lenses, as myself.

The price of the  Hasselblad X1D and three new lenses will be in the area of $20,000.00, now it buys me an S007 or a nice Multishot digital back for my Sinar. Who knows what $20,000.00 will buy me after Photokina.

Mark, I feel the same! But I'm sure Leica's response is on the way. All these cameras have been in development for 1-2 years already. 

I hope that's right.  The new Hasselblad is exactly what I was hoping and expecting the SL to be.  If I knew that Leica was working on something similar I would certainly wait for it.  But I'm not so sure they are.  If they were, why do the SL with a T mount rather than a new larger mount that could cover a medium format sensor?

• Like 2

The price of the  Hasselblad X1D and three new lenses will be in the area of $20,000.00, now it buys me an S007 or a nice Multishot digital back for my Sinar. Who knows what $20,000.00 will buy me after Photokina.

"A kit with 45mm F3.5 lens will cost $11,290, and bundled with both lenses the X1D will cost $13,985."

So, the third lens will be about US$ 6,000? 

"A kit with 45mm F3.5 lens will cost $11,290, and bundled with both lenses the X1D will cost $13,985."

So, the third lens will be about US$ 6,000?

I am in Russia, I will be paying the VAT and customs duties.

I know that the USA prices are better.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If I knew that Leica was working on something similar I would certainly wait for it.  But I'm not so sure they are.  If they were, why do the SL with a T mount rather than a new larger mount that could cover a medium format sensor?

Same me. But I think that the SL will stay what it is, a FF mirrorless system. I certainly hope that Leica will make an new mirrorless S as complement to the OVF 008. But, if there should be no announcement at Photokina, this will take at least 2 more years.

Edited by siddhaarta

Same me. But I think that the SL will stay what it is, a FF mirrorless system. I certainly hope that Leica will make an new mirrorless S as complement to the OVF 008. But, if there should be no announcement at Photokina, this will take at least 2 more years.

I guess it will depend on the success of the new Hasselblad. If people buy it in large numbers, especially Leica's current shooters, Leica will respond. The same thing people said about Nikon d800/d810, and Canon had to respond by releasing 5dsR. 

The S format would require a crop mode on Hasselblad.

No, it wouldn’t. The difference in the image circles (55 vs. 54 mm) is negligible.

Still it is unlikely that there will ever be an adapter. Hasselblad photographers will much rather use existing H system lenses until the new X lens range is complete (which, however, might take a few years).

Edited by mjh
  • Like 1

The SL is longer than the X1D in spite of having a smaller sensor. The prices of 2 lenses Hasselblad announced are quite lower than almost all Leica lenses and may be (or not) of equivalent image quality. The problem of any new camera system is the lack of lens choices but at least the 45mm and 90mm look quite reasonable sized even for backpacking which I can not say for the SL and S system.

Sensors with global shutters would be really great in regards of lens weight and size. May be that will not happen soon in medium format but Sony and Fuji/panasonic are talking about them for some time.

Edited by 40mm f/2

The SL is longer than the X1D in spite of having a smaller sensor. The prices of 2 lenses Hasselblad announced are quite lower than almost all Leica lenses and may be (or not) of equivalent image quality. The problem of any new camera system is the lack of lens choices but at least the 45mm and 90mm look quite reasonable sized even for backpacking which I can not say for the SL and S system.

Sensors with global shutters would be really great in regards of lens weight and size. May be that will not happen soon in medium format but Sony and Fuji/panasonic are talking about them for some time.

I agree about the size. Size of the X1D and the announced lenses would be the biggest ps compared to the S.

I am quite happywith the S system, but I wish Leica lenses were somewhat smaller. The same is true for the 50/1.4 annunced for the Sl and the 35/1.4 TL.

However I would not want them to be smaller if this would lead to visible optical compromises. So I am curious if Hasselblad achieve to make those lenses smaller and lower priced but still achieve comparable or close to optical performance like the S-lenses.

Now since we have the CMOS medium format sensors with good igh ISO capability I wish Leica presents 1 or 2 smaller wide angle lenses (35 and/or 45mm) with f3.5 or f4.0 instead of 2.5/2.8.

As a S owner I am quite happy to see Hasselblad announcing such products. Competition is good IMO.

Agree that competition is good and with regards to the Leica S and medium format I feel Leica could use a bit of a kick in the butt at this moment.