epand56

Weird Sensor Cleaning Behavior on M 240

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I made a search, but found nothing about that.

Yesterday I performed a sensor cleaning on my M 240.

The battery was fully charged.

I had on the screen the correct "when you're finished switch off the camera" or similar message and the shutter opened.

I performed the cleaning with the swab gently and quickly as I did tenths of time on my M8.

When I finished and switched of the camera, instead of seeing the shutter closing, I had this message: "Stop immediately the sensor cleaning".

Then after a couple seconds the shutter closed.

I had the same problem months ago when performing the same.

Yesterday, after the cleaning, I took some picture to check and anything was ok.

Anybody else had this problem? Any suggestions?

Since the Leica shop in my town is a couple blocks from my flat, maybe I will go there and see what they say.

Thank you for attention.

Al the best,

Enrico

That's exactly what the M (Typ 240) does. When you switch it off, it displays this message (and a count down, if I recall that correctly) and then shuts the shutter and turns itself off.

The message itself is, of course, quite useless as you won't be able to see it while cleaning the sensor, it being on the other side of the body.

That's exactly what the M (Typ 240) does. When you switch it off, it displays this message (and a count down, if I recall that correctly) and then shuts the shutter and turns itself off.

The message itself is, of course, quite useless as you won't be able to see it while cleaning the sensor, it being on the other side of the body.

But you shouldn't be cleaning the sensor once you've switched it off.

I made a search, but found nothing about that.

Yesterday I performed a sensor cleaning on my M 240.

The battery was fully charged.

I had on the screen the correct "when you're finished switch off the camera" or similar message and the shutter opened.

I performed the cleaning with the swab gently and quickly as I did tenths of time on my M8.

When I finished and switched of the camera, instead of seeing the shutter closing, I had this message: "Stop immediately the sensor cleaning".

Then after a couple seconds the shutter closed.

I had the same problem months ago when performing the same.

Yesterday, after the cleaning, I took some picture to check and anything was ok.

Anybody else had this problem? Any suggestions?

Since the Leica shop in my town is a couple blocks from my flat, maybe I will go there and see what they say.

Thank you for attention.

Al the best,

Enrico

That is normal, as it is a safety measure to prevent you from carrying on cleaning and having the shutter slam down on something. When it appears you are supposed to check that the shutter path is unobstructed before it closes.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

But you shouldn't be cleaning the sensor once you've switched it off.

Yes, but by the time the message is on display, you've stopped cleaning the camera, unless you operated the switch by mistake, in which cases you wouldn't be looking at the screen, either.

Have you never left your tools on the edge of the engine bay of the car and slammed the bonnet shut? I have

Thank you everybody for your reassuring answers. I obvously cleaned my sensor when the shutter was open and closed it shut after performing the cleaning. 

Anything is ok. I did not know this is the correct procedure. thank you again.

Jaap... Ouch!!!!

Have you never left your tools on the edge of the engine bay of the car and slammed the bonnet shut? I have

Yes, that's why the small label on the wrench is so useful. It reads "Please remove from engine bay before slamming bonnet shut."

That is being a bit silly surely. You stopped cleaning the sensor before you turned the camera off. Are you still holding the camera looking at the sensor cover glass when you turn the camera off!

Mechanics don't do dental work. Why are you doing mechanic work?