A New CCD Leica soon?...

Louis

As Leica has just moved the S and M cameras to CMOS-based sensors and the new SL is also CMOS-based, I find the idea of a return to CCD sensors odd, to say the least. After the issues Leica had with the Kodak/Truesense sensors and the lack of live-view, so no EVF, what would be the point?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

How could a medium format camera have an M mount, as Photorumours claims, for instance?

Well. The SL sort of does - T lenses, M lenses, R lenses + other adapters - an oversized sensor with sophisticated mount adapters would do so too. 

The new Hasselblad is for real but of course it will not feature an M mount or a CCD, neither of which would make any sense. And I wouldn’t bet on that Prosophos rumour.

• Like 5

The sketch posted on the link has a strap with an 'H' that sure looks like the Hassy moniker. The blogger is being coy I think, when he was asked if it was to be made by Hassekblad and he answered 'no'. Who knows, maybe another rebadged Fujifilm like the X-Pan.

As Leica has just moved the S and M cameras to CMOS-based sensors and the new SL is also CMOS-based, I find the idea of a return to CCD sensors odd, to say the least. After the issues Leica had with the Kodak/Truesense sensors and the lack of live-view, so no EVF, what would be the point?

No serious developers other than astro-scientists are working with CCD today.

No serious developers other than astro-scientists are working with CCD today.

Why do they use them, Pico?

I understand that in practical terms the CMOS based sensors provide live view, and many prefer the look of the CCD sensors (not sure I agree - in camera and post processing does a lot for final image quality), but I'm not sure I understand why some applications prefer CCD.  Weren't many top of the line video cameras also CCD?

I understand that in practical terms the CMOS based sensors provide live view, and many prefer the look of the CCD sensors (not sure I agree - in camera and post processing does a lot for final image quality), but I'm not sure I understand why some applications prefer CCD.  Weren't many top of the line video cameras also CCD?

The answer is in the type of application. CCD is no longer consumer product friendly. CMOS wins.

If necessary to show where CCD works, I can try to re-connect to a man I know who is a full-time astronomer. He is an Oxford scholar with Cambridge additional creds, and has been a visiting expert/scholar for international observatories for over twenty years. Really, I will try, if necessary.  In the meantime what he has told me is that CCD technology is more than sufficient for their particular work. 

I would have thought- if I could make a full frame M mount camera- I would be happy enough with just that. No need to go all weird and make it a curved body camera- with a special (and expensive no doubt) curved LCD. Also looking at the sketch that is almost definitely the Hasselblad H on the strap.

The Konost camera seems like another crap idea: why try and re-invent the rangefinder with an overly complex electronic device? How on earth is that idea going to work with a variety of focal lengths? And how about in low light? Methinks it will never, ever come to fruition.

I still maintain that someone should make a standard digital rangefinder with M mount- an alternative to Leica- competition. I have been poo pooed many times on this forum for the suggestion- many have said it will 'never never' happen. It will I says!  I wish this rumor was about a new Bessa digital RF from voigtlander- of all people they seem to be best placed: they make M mount lenses, and they have a solid background making good quality mechanical rangefinders.

I didn't read it carefully, but this might help.

http://www.teledynedalsa.com/imaging/knowledge-center/appnotes/ccd-vs-cmos/

My takeaway is that CCDs are better with infrared, which is particularly useful for machine inspection and sorting in manufacturing and warehouses, and that CCDs can be modified for particularly high sensitivity applications when speed of capture is not an issue.

In other words, this does not apply in any common photographic application.

I'm also pretty well convinced that the CCD vs. CMOS debate has more to do with the prioritizing of luminance sensitivity over color sensitivity over the last decade or so. Reducing the optical density of the color filter array is the culprit, methinks, not the sensor technology itself. Personally, I believe I perceive (note my lack of confidence in this judgment) higher noise levels at base ISO in modern cameras than in cameras from two or three generations ago, before the ISO wars. If that's the case, I'd be happiest shooting with a combination of a dark-filter camera (base ISO in the 50 range) and a minimal-filter camera (e.g., Monochrom).

Cheers,

Jon

The Konost camera seems like another crap idea: why try and re-invent the rangefinder with an overly complex electronic device? How on earth is that idea going to work with a variety of focal lengths? And how about in low light? Methinks it will never, ever come to fruition.

You mean as opposed to an complex, tight tolerance mechanical one whose adjustment is always somewhat suspect?

I think its not unreasonable to expect that everything that can be done by electronics ultimately will be. Shutters, VFs, controls, everything.  Cheaper, more reliable, more accurate with greater levels of personalization and flexibility.   If you want a digital M that rivals the size and weight of the original, you need to be rooting for a development along these lines. If the RF model survives, and I certainly hope so, eventually it will receive an electronic assist. As for how it will work, it works the same as today, as the Konost vides show, overlaying images electronically rather than optically.   And in theory as electronic eyes can zoom, if not optically then electronically, focusing accurately at longer focal lengths should be easier.  As for low light vision, while I agree that it will likely lag optical systems at first, over time it will exceed them. 

• Like 1