Another Bag Thread - Artisan & Artist RRN-01C

Advertisement (gone after registration)

So, as you do, I was still on the quest for a perfect day bag for my 2 cameras: The Q and and M7. I have neoprene protectors, but was only taking one or the other out with me at a time and sometimes I still wanted something to put them into (one or both) when not shooting. I want to take both, but am very fussy about the amount I carry. Confused, yup!

I had the Domke F803 but found the lack of padding and the width of the inserts all wrong for the Q and also got sick of adjusting the strap and the bag just generally getting in the way.

I couldn't see a review for this one on the forum when I came across it, so here is the bag:

http://www.artisan-n-artist.com/product_detail.php?id=271

This bag doesn't seem to have made much of an impact as I couldn't find any reviews or references to it but I think it has really slipped through the cracks of perfect bags for camera weight weenies.

I didn't want to pay the new price ($240, I'm also a tightwad)) and found only one on that auction site for sale anywhere and at a very reasonable price. Adjustable shoulder strap (like the AnA one I have on the Q but wider and more robust) and just the perfect size, great padding and quite unobtrusive. Also it's left/right adjustable so you can have the bag on one side out of the way and the camera on the other and still room for another camera, lens, tablet, filters and spare batteries.

If you have small lenses and want to travel light for the day and compact I think this is perfect! (nb. I have no affiliation with Artisan and Artist, but defo would if they gave me free stuff to review :D  :ph34r:)

I think I've finally found the perfect day bag. I shall now have a day of rest.  B)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by @McLeica
  • Like 1

Having spent ages trying to find the right bag for my Q I plumped for the Ona Union Street (https://www.onabags.com/store/messenger-bags/the-union-street.html?color=field-tan) as I needed the capacity to carry my MacBook.

I spent a week travelling with it and have to say that for me it ticked every box and I could not fault the quality nor performance. I even got the compliment "nice bag" on three separate occasions!

Likewise I have no affiliation to Ona but if they want....

Edited by corkscrew
  • Like 1

I'm getting my Leica Q Ever-Ready Case from B&H.  Yes, it is  outrageously priced.  However, it is made for the Q and a flashback to bygone era.  This is how we used to carry the Rangefinders in my youth or better say, last century  B) .

Hektor

• 1 month later...

Having spent ages trying to find the right bag for my Q I plumped for the Ona Union Street (https://www.onabags.com/store/messenger-bags/the-union-street.html?color=field-tan) as I needed the capacity to carry my MacBook.

I spent a week travelling with it and have to say that for me it ticked every box and I could not fault the quality nor performance. I even got the compliment "nice bag" on three separate occasions!

Likewise I have no affiliation to Ona but if they want....

As an update my Ona bag bag failed over two weeks ago - the leather stitching on the tab that holds the D ring of the strap just broke. Examining it the stitching was far too close to the edge of the leather. Somehow I managed to catch the bag but with a Q and a MacBook in the bag it could have been much worse. I needed the bag so had to get it repaired with rivets which should do the job. I emailed Ona two weeks ago including a picture of the failure and have not even had the courtesy of a reply. For a niche company selling expensive bags I expect better and withdraw my recommendation. In this day and age customer relations are key to successful companies and I feel very disappointed with their silence. I would recommend anyone else with an Ona to check the stitching just in case - hopefully mine was a one off

Edited by corkscrew

Advertisement (gone after registration)

For endurance I find Billingham bags hard to beat. I have one that is over 30 years old and still going strong though it is so large (the 440) it doesn't get much use now. I have had my Hadley Pro for around 15 years and it gets almost daily use. As to this Artisan and Artist bag with the top zip and no flap I'm not sure I would trust it in heavy rain

Edited by viramati

I've avoided Ona bags because I've read too many reports of strap failures. They're darn nice looking but strap failures are an unacceptable risk, to me. 

On the other hand, based someone on what I saw in the pictures in this thread, I bought the A&A RRN-01C and have slowly been incorporating it into my daily use more and more. For the minimalistic kit I often carry, it is an excellent size. The strap and its attachment to the bag is first rate, the bag is a little small but otherwise extremely well designed and well put together. As it breaks in and becomes more pliable and comfortable, it gets better and better. It is very easy to wear and walk with, the sliding strap adjustment is very well done. All together, a good bag for a lot of uses. 

I've avoided Ona bags because I've read too many reports of strap failures. They're darn nice looking but strap failures are an unacceptable risk, to me. 

On the other hand, based someone on what I saw in the pictures in this thread, I bought the A&A RRN-01C and have slowly been incorporating it into my daily use more and more. For the minimalistic kit I often carry, it is an excellent size. The strap and its attachment to the bag is first rate, the bag is a little small but otherwise extremely well designed and well put together. As it breaks in and becomes more pliable and comfortable, it gets better and better. It is very easy to wear and walk with, the sliding strap adjustment is very well done. All together, a good bag for a lot of uses. 

If you travel light it is a great bag. I can fit the Q and the M7 in with extra rolls of film, batteries and filters. It's best though with just one camera and accessories. Easy to access and very unobstrusive.

Have to say, been searching for the perfect bag forever, tried Ona, Watoncraft, and Billinghams. The Ona bags looked good but function very poorly and way too heavy. I like the two Wotancraft bags I have but they are still a tad too heavy, but very nice. I always return to my old small Hadley Billingham bag even though isn't stylish. Like a comfortable pair of old shoes. Lightweight and fits either the Q or T or M perfectly along with room for plenty other stuff for every day use. It wins and I finally kicked the habit of trying newer bags.