Sign in to follow this  
Iduna

industrial design - 3 pictures

Advertisement (gone after registration)

These historic buildings belonged to the Ruhrgebiet Industry. Now it is an industrial landscape park and very attractive for photogrpaphers. The place is in the city of Duisburg, once a stronghold of energy production.

Leica Q

I love industrial architectural photography.

B&W is so much better for such subjects. Please keep posting.

It is so hard getting perfect alignment, isn't it?

And yes, that last building is indeed an abomination :-o

Edited by MarkP

A lovely set.  The organization would probably like haivng copies.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I love industrial architectural photography.

B&W is so much better for such subjects. Please keep posting.

It is so hard getting perfect alignment, isn't it?

And yes, that last building is indeed an abomination :-o

I too enjoy architectural photography and especially rusty remnants of industry, but can't agree that that last building is an abomination.

I think there is a certain beauty in these industrial structures that resides in their honesty in reflecting their function without the conscious influence of design. This

second image is not a building as such, but a cooling tower similar to the radiator in a car. It's materials and construction are minimal without arbitrary additions or decorations. I really like it as a subject.  

These historic buildings belonged to the Ruhrgebiet Industry. Now it is an industrial landscape park and very attractive for photogrpaphers. The place is in the city of Duisburg, once a stronghold of energy production.

Leica Q

This is a nice set, The Q appears to be ideally suited for this work. It renders the colors beautifully. 

MarkP,

thanks fro our interesting comment.

Your are right. A perfect alignment is difficult from below. I could have aligned the bottom line but would have lost then something from above. The couple Bernd+ Hilla Becher used middleformat cameras and climbed on ladders an towers which was not possible here. The adjacent tower was opened for guided tours, so next time perhaps....The whole architecture made the impression of a huge animal digesting. Indeed there was digested and transformed material and this comes out now.

Michael,

makes me happy that you like it. Thanks!

Stuart,

yes, you are right, one should perhaps offer the present administration of the site the series. Thank you for your commitment.

War

many thanks for your detailed comment. I agree with you about the design of these buildings. Now that the inner coordinates can be seen the funtional beauty comes out. The rough surface of rusted metal bears much drama and provides a warm quality of light. The cooling towers were extremely difficult to capture in diffuse but bright frontlight. Here the "Q" is indeed very capable and provides much contrast. but the decision in this case was to take into account the burnt sky rather than too loose details in the texture of the buildings.

Your comment is much appreciated, thank you once more.

I should add that I love the Bechers work and have almost all of their books which are amongst the most prized in my library. There is indeed a certain utilitarian beauty in these late-19th and early-20th century structures, but that one is still a shocker!