Sell my 30,70mm S lenses for a 30-90 zoom good idea?

kuau

Advertisement (gone after registration)

So I figure4d out how to post a file ;) , This is the Zoom vs 70mm @F11.. Bottom right corner, left corner was the same and right through the aperture series it was the same.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

Zoom lens is better for convenience, but prime lens is better for overall IQ. If you plan to use/change lenses in the field/harsh conditions, zoom will be more practical. That's true for zoom vs. prime lenses for all systems. 

Generally, I prefer primes for IQ. I do own 3 Nikon zoom lenses for travel/safari. For the S system, I have the 35, 70 and 120. I use the 35 the most. I would not trade my S primes for the 30-90 zoom.

To those of you with both the zoom and primes, can you generally tell them apart by the overall character of an image (instead of sharpness of details)?

I have owned and used the 35, 70 and 30-90 with both S006 and 007. At the same aperture I could not tell the primes apart from the zoom. Fantastic allround lens.
  • Like 1

So I figure4d out how to post a file ;) , This is the Zoom vs 70mm @F11.. Bottom right corner, left corner was the same and right through the aperture series it was the same.

Thanks for posting this. Though I am not surprised.

What I would like to see is a similar comparison between the 30 and 45 prime against  the zoom at F11.

or....

Dump my S system and nay into the new Hasselblad, just kidding

Thanks for posting this. Though I am not surprised.

What I would like to see is a similar comparison between the 30 and 45 prime against  the zoom at F11.

or....

Dump my S system and nay into the new Hasselblad, just kidding

Here are two shots taken at F11 with 45mm & 30-90mm Zoom @45mm!!   https://www.hightail.com/download/cUJXU2VqQzduSlNxV2NUQw  I didn't have time to get a better location and this was quite close but still gives you a good idea, they look quite close in performance here!!

Edited by RVB
  • Like 1

Thank you, RVB, for posting those two pictures. The 30-90 performs very well indeed, from 30mm to 60mm. And more so at f.11.

Its a great lens,it has some trade offs for the convenience factor but its worth having in your kit, I think its a good idea to have a few primes too if funds allow it, for their speed and IQ!

Leica gave me a demo for the weekend and I choose the 30-90 and the 120 as lenses. Wrong choice :)

I have to admit I am not very much a zoom person (I sold my last zoom 13 years ago and never looked back). And I faced the same issues with the 30-90 as before (too much playing with the zoom rather than with my feet, missing a f/2.5 opening, obviously much darker OVP - especially inside, much less contrast and sharpness wide open). I won't buy the 30-90.

On the other hand, the 120 was so much better, superior in sharpness and contrast. A reason to buy a Leica S in the first place.

Leica gave me a demo for the weekend and I choose the 30-90 and the 120 as lenses. Wrong choice :)

I have to admit I am not very much a zoom person (I sold my last zoom 13 years ago and never looked back). And I faced the same issues with the 30-90 as before (too much playing with the zoom rather than with my feet, missing a f/2.5 opening, obviously much darker OVP - especially inside, much less contrast and sharpness wide open). I won't buy the 30-90.

On the other hand, the 120 was so much better, superior in sharpness and contrast. A reason to buy a Leica S in the first place.

I wouldn't argue with that , for me also the primes are definitely the highest IQ,very little compares outside of tech cam lenses, Zoom has other benefits though, great when you just can't carry multiple lenses or changing glass is difficult,I see it as a great addition to a prime kit rather than a replacement.

Edited by RVB
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

The 45mm is a better lens than the 70mm, not used the 30mm....

john

The 30 is better than the 45 :)

The 120 is better than the zoom as the zoom can't get there :) :) 

Edited by Neil D

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Try it and see.

For me, the 006 and zoom worked well on a tripod, but not for my occasional desire for handheld use in other than ideal light.  Also, with the split prism screen, half of it goes dark at smaller apertures, notably at the slower long end.  I would have much preferred the faster primes (and, frankly, the faster 007), despite the inconvenience, although the cost of a full set to match the zoom range (let alone the higher 007 cost) was not practical.  IQ-wise, it really depends how large one prints and how critically one considers outer edges, etc. (discussed in other threads).

YMMV, as they say.

Jeff

Jeff you should seriously consider the 007, its awesome and works great as a walk around camera as well due to the higher ISO capabilities over the older 006.

Jeff you should seriously consider the 007, its awesome and works great as a walk around camera as well due to the higher ISO capabilities over the older 006.

We had this discussion.

I've not ruled it out down the road when prices plunge (I've been offered a free demo anytime), but in the meantime there are increasingly more options to consider.  Even then, the S with a set of primes remains a large, heavy system.  

The X1D is only a start of other smaller MF systems, I think, and I actually prefer its 4:3 aspect ratio.  I'll need to see the X1D lens line round out first, read reviews on weather sealing, and then demo the system.  The SL also offers a more portable M alternative for wider/longer lenses.....I'll also wait to see what other SL primes are offered.  

I do, however, love the S viewfinder, which comes at a cost in size.  Tradeoffs.

No rush.  

Jeff

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

I think the X1D will be shipping later this month so it will be interesting to see all the feedback on LUL and the likes........ It sure is a nice size apart from hat darn EVF

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 30 is better than the 45 :)

The 120 is better than the zoom as the zoom can't get there :) :)

First time I have heard that the 30mm (that and the 100mm are the only S lenses I do not own) is better than the 45mm, and by your process the 180mm is better than the 120mm but I would disagree ;-)

john

• Like 1

Went through the same dilemma. This S Typ 007 and vario 30-90 combo is near to perfect for travel or reportage where you can't really change lenses in the field. It is rather heavy but also gives you a lot of heft, which is easy to work with. If one wants the vario, the S 007 should be the camera of choice given its low light abilities. For anything else than good lighting conditions, one would run into limitations with the S 006 / SE. That said, the 70mm lens cannot be beaten optically by the vario. So I would keep that one handy as well, as a low light backup.

Pascal

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

First time I have heard that the 30mm (that and the 100mm are the only S lenses I do not own) is better than the 45mm, and by your process the 180mm is better than the 120mm but I would disagree ;-)

john

i was being a knob John. I don't have a 45 and can't imagin having one. For me with a three lens kit I feel I have the best option out there.......... I feel I have all my basis covered.