Write speed to Card

JAM

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm using Sony 64 GB cards  Type 10 transfer rate 95mb/sec. 

When shooting DNG files the buffer fills up in 3 Sec (33 DNG Files)

However it takes over 50sec to write all the images to the card.. 

I recently bought a Lexar 2000X SD XC II card transfer speed  300mb/sec

It still takes over 50sec to write all the images to the card?? Slot 1 or II no difference.

It seems that the SL is not able to 3see" the difference in this two card despite the Lexar card being on the approved list of compatible cards

Is any one else using this cards? or getting better results with different cards?

The behaviour you describe is normal. We have discussed this here before - one or two months ago. I will add a link as soon as I find it.

The numbers are usually read-speeds (the 300MB/s) and they are the theoretical maxima (the bus speed). Try your card in a PC or Mac and you will find the real speeds it offers. Make separate tests for reading and writing ! The speeds are quite different.

The camera is writing slower than that, it also has to process the files. So the 50 seconds to 1 minute are normal for writing a full buffer.

The guaranteed write speed of the card (UHS-II) is 30 MB/s, which is necessary for 4k filming. That's it - that is what the label "UHS-II" guarantees.

Your result is also correct: The slower card is good enough for the camera, no need to buy the most expensive types. (even if the salespeople tell you the opposite).   :)

Stephan

Here the link to the thread:   http://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/252697-recommended-sd-cards/page-2?do=findComment&comment=3043017   

Entry 29 finally contains the measurements Ramarren did on his Mac and with a separate Lexar card reader (which was slightly faster). 

Read the whole thread, it is exactly about your questions/observations.

Edited by steppenw0lf
  • Like 1