Does the Leica lens look appear most at a certain focal length?

CharlesL

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I don't recall photos from them with the combination of such resolution, without hypersharpness, and the presentation of textures. Of course, you might have just shown us an example.

You're correct, it's not a Canikon image. If I told you it was shot with a digital Leica rangefinder camera and a Leica M-lens, would you be able to guess which combination? :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

...it's not a Canikon image. If I told you it was shot with a digital Leica rangefinder camera and a Leica M-lens, would you be able to guess which combination? :-)

The camera is not a Monochrom. All I can guess is that the lens is modern, that is, from the time when Leica uses computers to work out the consequences of alternative design decisions.

The camera is not a Monochrom. All I can guess is that the lens is modern, that is, from the time when Leica uses computers to work out the consequences of alternative design decisions.

It's an M8 with a 35 Summilux Asph (pre-FLE).

The only image I ever took that was accused of having the Leica Look by a photographer that I respect greatly:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Challenge: camera and lens....;)

• Like 7

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Excerpts from a fascinating essay:

Historical Perspective On Minolta Lens Design Philosophy

by David Kilpatrick, 2007
Leica, for whom Minolta made lenses, elements, prisms and focusing screens had never attempted to match colour or contrast and you will find radical differences between (for example) a six-element and seven-element Summicron. What they attempted to do was balance microcontrast and overall contrast (boosting MTF figure finer than 60 cycles at the expense of the important 10-30 cycles range). They also taught this concept to Minolta. It tends to produce a 'liquid, three- dimensional' look because overall tones are quite soft, but textures and surfaces are rendered far better.

Zeiss went in a different direction and picked a cutoff point for MTF, using equipment able to measure up to 400 cycles per mm (beyond the resolving power of any film, and theoretically unusable). They would decide that a particular range of lenses should maintain 60 per cent contrast at 80 cycles - or whatever - and then work like hell on the glass, the design, the coatings to achieve this target and never fail. They also tested each individual lens (in Germany) and retained a certificate against its serial number stating the actual figure for that one lens. Then, if returned for repair, they could instantly spot whether elements had become decentered. I do not believe the Kyocera-Zeiss team ever did this!
the [Zeiss T*] coating was so effective they often got high microcontrast plus high overall contrast, when Leitz was claiming the two functions were traded against each other.
Since the mid-1990s all you have is the heritage of these policies. ... Leica started trying to copy Zeiss;...

https://sites.google.com/site/seevve/historical-perspective-on-minolta-lens-design-philosophy

• Like 1

What might be termed interesting is that here it is 35mm images have been chosen to illustrate a 'look' and that the pre-aspheric Summilux has distinct characteristics whilst the pre-FLE aspheric is also 'rated' for its 'bokeh'. The later FLE lens is not. Which would tend to suggest that post 67 is on the right lines in that some older Leica lenses have very specific 'looks' (which vary and of which only a select few have distinct characteristics) but new Leica lenses are far more sophisticated and much more 'precise' designs with a very different design philosophy (aided by much more advanced computerised design).

Which leaves us where we were - knowing that older 'characterful' lenses were not as well designed as current lenses are.

FWIW my favourite combination is my M9 and 35 pre-aspheric Summilux. This offers a small, neat, compact and highly ergonomic package whilst delivering images which I am more than satisfied with.

Spot-on. And M9. And IR filter ;)

I've been using this combination for most of my photography for a while so I'm quite familiar with the look :-)

Do you feel there is a need for an IR filter on the M9? I still have one, but haven't used it since my M8's shutter broke.

Excerpts from a fascinating essay:

Historical Perspective On Minolta Lens Design Philosophy

by David Kilpatrick, 2007

Leica, for whom Minolta made lenses, elements, prisms and focusing screens had never attempted to match colour or contrast and you will find radical differences between (for example) a six-element and seven-element Summicron. What they attempted to do was balance microcontrast and overall contrast (boosting MTF figure finer than 60 cycles at the expense of the important 10-30 cycles range). They also taught this concept to Minolta. It tends to produce a 'liquid, three- dimensional' look because overall tones are quite soft, but textures and surfaces are rendered far better.

Zeiss went in a different direction and picked a cutoff point for MTF, using equipment able to measure up to 400 cycles per mm (beyond the resolving power of any film, and theoretically unusable). They would decide that a particular range of lenses should maintain 60 per cent contrast at 80 cycles - or whatever - and then work like hell on the glass, the design, the coatings to achieve this target and never fail. They also tested each individual lens (in Germany) and retained a certificate against its serial number stating the actual figure for that one lens. Then, if returned for repair, they could instantly spot whether elements had become decentered. I do not believe the Kyocera-Zeiss team ever did this!

the [Zeiss T*] coating was so effective they often got high microcontrast plus high overall contrast, when Leitz was claiming the two functions were traded against each other.

Since the mid-1990s all you have is the heritage of these policies. ... Leica started trying to copy Zeiss;...

https://sites.google.com/site/seevve/historical-perspective-on-minolta-lens-design-philosophy

Interestingly, Zeiss lenses tend to have individually shimmed lens elements, which makes them more vulnerable to decentering on mechanical impact, and as Will van Manen told me a nightmare to repair if the furthest element shifts (as my ZM 21 did)

I've been using this combination for most of my photography for a while so I'm quite familiar with the look :-)

Do you feel there is a need for an IR filter on the M9? I still have one, but haven't used it since my M8's shutter broke.

I photograph quite a bit in Africa in the hot season. Without it I get virtually irrepairable yellow-orange casts on dry landscape shots with the sun overhead and blue blotches on African skin. Caucasian skin will show magenta and yellow-orange blotches. With the M240 the same.

I photograph quite a bit in Africa in the hot season. Without it I get virtually irrepairable yellow-orange casts on dry landscape shots with the sun overhead and blue blotches on African skin. Caucasian skin will show magenta and yellow-orange blotches. With the M240 the same.

Is this only in Africa or could this also happen in Europe? :-) Maybe I will try adding the filter for a while and check if I can see a difference.

Is this only in Africa or could this also happen in Europe? :-) Maybe I will try adding the filter for a while and check if I can see a difference.

Yes, anywhere where light has a substantial IR content. Flash can be quite bad too.