21+15mm or WATE - a classic

Steve McGarrett

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am preparing myself for the day (soon) that I will be ordering the 18mm f3.8 ASPH M. 

I have the 21mm f2.8 ASPH but often find it not wide enough after having been used to having access to much wider Olympus UWA zoom options.

I've used the 18mm equivalent enough to think that's a good ultra-wide solution for my M system. For this system, I like and prefer the prime options, so no WATE for me.

I would probably be thinking the same way if all I had was the M9 to use it, but the M262 makes ISO 1600-3200 a very useable solution indoors and I've been OK prior to this with the Panasonic 7-14mm f4 (14-28mm equivalent) with my Micro Four-Thirds outfit and the Olympus Zuiko 7-14mm f4 before that, including some cathedral-hopping in Paris a few years ago before they added image stabilization to the system.

The combined expense of the lens and the necessary finder is definitely a material cost to ponder.

If and when Leica comes up with something faster, it most likely will be well outside my zone of affordability.

I have used the CV lenses and have the WATE. Sold the 15 CV and 21 and now just have the WATE. Still own the CV 12 as it is what it is and if you need it you need it. The WATE is great and focuses extremely close. When using on M240 I always use the evf and rangefinder focus then frame shot with evf. Those that say you can preset the lens focus are somewhat correct but if you work really close its sometimes an issue with something not being in focus that reasonably would be expected to.

The only reason to not get the WATE is really the f4 speed. If you need something faster it's not going to work. The WATE is also a true zoom with detents. You can set it however you want to frame something with the evf one you have focused with the RF.. 

• Like 3