What's going on with the Dlux 109???

Advertisement (gone after registration)

July 6th, Leica N.J. told me that I will be receiving a new black 109 in a week. Really?  ..........we'll see.

Great to hear!

I've been using my Leica  D Lux 109 in Italy all week. I brought it with me, along with my beloved Leica SL, for a hiking trip in the Dolomites. I took the SL out all of the first day as I love the output but it was heavy even on all day flatland walk.  Then on a lark, I took the D lux with me the next day and upon processing the photos, noticed that the output of the two cameras was quite complemtary. Have been using it ever since. For most photos I have taken, I see no problem as I do not plan to make prints larger than around 11x17 but won't know for sure until I print them upon my return.

Enjoy the camera once you get it. Post some pics for us to enjoy!  I will be posting a few myself in the next few days. 

Great to hear!

I've been using my Leica  D Lux 109 in Italy all week. I brought it with me, along with my beloved Leica SL, for a hiking trip in the Dolomites. I took the SL out all of the first day as I love the output but it was heavy even on all day flatland walk.  Then on a lark, I took the D lux with me the next day and upon processing the photos, noticed that the output of the two cameras was quite complemtary. Have been using it ever since. For most photos I have taken, I see no problem as I do not plan to make prints larger than around 11x17 but won't know for sure until I print them upon my return.

Enjoy the camera once you get it. Post some pics for us to enjoy!  I will be posting a few myself in the next few days. 

I have printed some uncropped  square format photos from my 109 at 17 x 17 with excellent results, you will be very happy with 11 x  17 prints. 

This exchange rings many bells for me, including the names of Leica contact people. My 109, working very well until May, has been with Leica in NJ six weeks, a problem with the zoom inexplicably getting "wedged," the delay only recently attributed to an "unavailable" part and a change over in their repair system. (Sound familiar?)  

My Boston camera store - in business nearly half a century and strong Leica dealer - began pushing. A friend at Wexlar raised Q as well, and I've been assured of a "resolution." Aside from the need to communicate more rapidly and directly with users Leica had, among other attributes, the willingness to support a model at least a decade. If this is not going to be the case ("only gray available"), this should be made clear in advertising and to Dealers. (P.S., As of 12 July 2016 Black is also available at Amazon.)

• 2 weeks later...

Just a final note........I received my new, black, 109 replacement today. Mr. Bill Weier , customer care manager has informed me that it is not being discontinued. Although contradictory from what repair had told me, I will trust that Leica has worked out the kinks of this nice camera and that all will be well and smooth sailing for the future.

Good luck fellow 109ers.

Thanx for all the input...(even from the one cranky guy who must have fallen out of bed with a great thud that day, instead of getting out of bed! )

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

They might just keep the 109 around for a while even if a successor should be introduced at Photokina in September. In any case, it would match an upcoming Panasonic model and the rumors on a possible LX200 are kind of vague and not very inspiring - I mean: does anyone care about more megapixels and higher burst?

Panasonic are more likely to replace the venerable FZ1000 (base for the VLux4) as it has been around for over three years now and is facing some stiff new competition from Sony and Niko.  The Panasonic LX100 (Leica 109) is fairly young still and so far is not facing the same kind of competition.  Just a personal observation. The FZ1000 has already had it's firmware updated which unfortunately was not carried through by Leica. 

• 1 month later...

Just a final note........I received my new, black, 109 replacement today. Mr. Bill Weier , customer care manager has informed me that it is not being discontinued. Although contradictory from what repair had told me, I will trust that Leica has worked out the kinks of this nice camera and that all will be well and smooth sailing for the future.

Good luck fellow 109ers.

Thanx for all the input...(even from the one cranky guy who must have fallen out of bed with a great thud that day, instead of getting out of bed! )

Great to hear you received your replacement camera ! / I have seen multiple threads here all in regards to the NJ Lecia service center / but waiting 3 months for a replacement is quite disheartening for a 1100.00 camera - for a consumer grade 300.00 camera perhaps - hope their service improves and moves towards staying true to the Leica Brand even with the Typ 109 (Pano Internals) ...

Dave

Edited by modernpics

Must be hard to make better compact cameras than LX100 & DL109 i suspect but i have no experience with their later competitors. 

In fact I have heard that the LX200 is well in the pipeline which may be why some areas are having difficulty getting replacements.  I know nothing about the specs for the replacement only that it is delayed together with many other new cameras due to the recent earthquakes in Japan.

Edited by dhsimmonds
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

What problems are people having with the 109? I'm happy to say mine has been flawless since I bought it and I hope it stays that way.

The auto-focus does not work well. I take hundreds of interior and exterior pictures of homes every week and this has become a problem for me. Sometimes, putting it in SnapShot mode and then back into Program mode makes it go away. Other times, I have to turn the camera on and off again.

My 109 has been in with Leica in Allendale , N.J now for about three months. Seems as if they are replacing my camera with a new one, but they do not have a black ones to give to me, only the gray is available. My question is, does anyone know or believe that they are discontinuing this model?. This is the second time it's been in for repair and that the length of time I'm without the camera is growing each instance. Last conversation with Allendale is that 'maybe' by the end of June I would have a new camera, but that sounds iffy at best.  I know there's been a lot wrong with the camea since it's hitting the market, but waiting three months for a camera to come out of Germany...well, should it take so long, and why should it?

Growing impatient and loosing faith in the 109.

Any idea?

Yes, same here. I bought my Typ 109 new in January 2016. It was off to NJ for focusing issues by May and was not returned for 3 more months. Roxanne is great, and they gave me updates every time I called. But having a camera in the shop for half of its life was not what I expected after 20yrs with an M3. The 109 works well now. Just don't know what to expect in the future if it is discontinued or anything. Ugh. 

My 109 has been in with Leica in Allendale , N.J now for about three months. Seems as if they are replacing my camera with a new one, but they do not have a black ones to give to me, only the gray is available. My question is, does anyone know or believe that they are discontinuing this model?. This is the second time it's been in for repair and that the length of time I'm without the camera is growing each instance. Last conversation with Allendale is that 'maybe' by the end of June I would have a new camera, but that sounds iffy at best.  I know there's been a lot wrong with the camea since it's hitting the market, but waiting three months for a camera to come out of Germany...well, should it take so long, and why should it?

Growing impatient and loosing faith in the 109.

Any idea?

I would be curious to know what was wrong with your 109. I am having focus issues with mine and an overall lack of sharpness. I bought it 18 months ago but have only been using it for the last two months while my other Leica is in for a CLA.

Maybe you should have asked them for a Leica Q as they've messed you about (all those missed photo opportunities......), or just stick with the old faithful, the Digilux 2. Wonderful camera which I still use regularly.

Geoff

This is actually a huge issue for me. I would never own anything but a black camera. It an aesthetic thing.

I would be curious to know what was wrong with your 109. I am having focus issues with mine and an overall lack of sharpness. I bought it 18 months ago but have only been using it for the last two months while my other Leica is in for a CLA.

Roger, you were using Program mode if memory serves. Your camera is faulty in that mode i suspect but did you try another mode? Half pressing the shutter release to choose the focus point could solve your problem eventually.